How To Remove-reduce Grain With Dvx100e ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 4th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #1
New Boot

How To Remove-reduce Grain With Dvx100e ?

Hi all!
I got my DVX100E PAL a week ago and I loved it!
But I have 2 problems :

- I think I get too much grain even with standard settings and OIS off
- I use the Panasonic Anamorphic lens and even though the picture is great , I get black corners (like barrel distortion) even with zoom 30 (I know I should not use full wide)

Any help here please ?

Thank you all
John
John Goul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:05 AM   #2
Major Player

So even when you go outside on a bright day, you still get grain? Also (I don't own a DVX100, but I am curious) does the Anamorphic adapter give you barrel distortion throughout the whole zoom range? And is it hard to focus?
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #3
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Gipson : So even when you go outside on a bright day, you still get grain? Also (I don't own a DVX100, but I am curious) does the Anamorphic adapter give you barrel distortion throughout the whole zoom range? And is it hard to focus? -->>>

I get grain on a bright day too. (less but it's there!)
The zoom range goes from 0 (wide) to 99 (tele).
If you obey to zoom > 40 then in most cases you're safe.
There is a focus problem only in less than 3-4 meters away.
Still I think the adaptor is pretty cool!
You get true anamorphic (1.78:1) 1024x576.
John Goul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:05 AM   #4
Major Player

On the grain issue...I hear and read that the dvx100 is a great cam. Unfortunately, grain and S/N ratio is seldon being evaluated/tackled in this forum. As long as also the S/N figure, together with the sensitivity (like F11@2000lux for the DVX100) is not specified, you are nowhere w.r.t. grain. It's not a problem the make a cam having a figure like "F11/2000 lux"...If I have a camcorder (CCD/processing) resulting in a F8/2000lux performance I can easely make it F11/2000lux by pushing the reference gain by 6db. Of course at the expense of extra grain...If my F8/2000lux has 45db S/N ratio, my adjusted "supercam" (F11/2000lux) will only have 39 db S/N which results in visible noise on a good display, even in bright scenes.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Andre, I'm a little confused lol. Could you put that in layman's terms?
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #6
Major Player

What I mean is that the DVX100 has maybe somewhat more "grain" by design. This grain can become visible(and annoying) on some high contrast displays, especially when sharpness is being boosted on the cam and on the display as well. Try to compare yr images with those from another good cam under the same conditions. The "professional" way to evaluate grain properties is to measure the S/N figure by standarized measuring methods.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Oh ok, I see what you mean
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant