DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Bunch O' DVX100 Menu Questions! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/9379-bunch-o-dvx100-menu-questions.html)

Glen Elliott May 7th, 2003 07:43 AM

Bunch O' DVX100 Menu Questions!

I've compiled a list of question regarding menu selections and their effect:

1.Under SCEEN FILE, what is Chroma Level and Chroma Phase?

2. Under SCEEN FILE what does Skin Tone DTL do exactly?! I tested it shooting a subjects face cu, but couldn't see a difference. Anyone have an idea? And why does the ON setting "decrease the detail and graininess" if the setting is "skin tone detail" shouldn't it be the opposite?! lol

3. Under SCEEN FILE, regarding Thick and Thin modes....is it ok to shoot in Thin mode even if your going to be outputting 60i? Has anyone shot in Thin mode without having progressive scan as the final output, and is the sharp flicker overwealming?

4. Under RECORDING SETUP, regarding MIC GAIN 2....how does this setting work? When I set it to -60db it makes the mike more sensitive?! Isn't -60db lower than -50db?! I'm an audio newb so please excuse my ignorance. I'm assuming it's rated a differen't way when it comes to sensitivity- but I figured I'd ask just to make sure.

5. Lastly, can't you assign 2 settings each to the User1 and User2buttons. Accessing the second one by pressing the button a second time...or does my memory serve me incorrectly?

6. I know someone is going to smack me for asking this one but in the manual what does the "SW" in SW MODE stand for?

Any and all input will greatly be appreciated- Thanks!

Ron Little May 7th, 2003 08:52 AM

Good questions especially the (SW thing)

I wish I had some answers.

It would be nice if we could get everyone to discuss how they use the setting and maybe compile a list of favorite set ups for different situations.

And maybe we could also compile a list of creative set ups for the artsy fartsy group.

Glen Elliott May 8th, 2003 07:56 AM

Hmmm no one has answers to any of these questions? Common guy! lol

Ron Little May 8th, 2003 08:19 AM

OK Glen it looks like it is a conspiracy to keep us from learning how to use this cam.

Maybe they are afraid that if we learn their set ups we will change multimedia as they know it. LOL

Lets keep this tread going maybe we can actually learn what the mysterious (SW) means and why it is such a closely guarded secret.

Aric Spence May 8th, 2003 10:40 AM

Check this link out

Glen,

This article will answer most if not all of your questions.

http://videosystems.com/ar/video_going_pro/index.htm

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Aric

Glen Elliott May 8th, 2003 10:55 AM

Thanks for the link- it was quite helpfull indeed!

Taro Beckwith May 16th, 2003 03:57 AM

Glen,
The only question I can answer is #5: SW means "SWITCH"

Stephen van Vuuren May 16th, 2003 09:58 AM

Re: Bunch O' DVX100 Menu Questions!

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : I've compiled a list of question regarding menu selections and their effect:

1.Under SCEEN FILE, what is Chroma Level and Chroma Phase?

2. Under SCEEN FILE what does Skin Tone DTL do exactly?! I tested it shooting a subjects face cu, but couldn't see a difference. Anyone have an idea? And why does the ON setting "decrease the detail and graininess" if the setting is "skin tone detail" shouldn't it be the opposite?! lol

3. Under SCEEN FILE, regarding Thick and Thin modes....is it ok to shoot in Thin mode even if your going to be outputting 60i? Has anyone shot in Thin mode without having progressive scan as the final output, and is the sharp flicker overwealming?

4. Under RECORDING SETUP, regarding MIC GAIN 2....how does this setting work? When I set it to -60db it makes the mike more sensitive?! Isn't -60db lower than -50db?! I'm an audio newb so please excuse my ignorance. I'm assuming it's rated a differen't way when it comes to sensitivity- but I figured I'd ask just to make sure.

5. Lastly, can't you assign 2 settings each to the User1 and User2buttons. Accessing the second one by pressing the button a second time...or does my memory serve me incorrectly?

6. I know someone is going to smack me for asking this one but in the manual what does the "SW" in SW MODE stand for?

-->>>

Glen:

(1) Chroma level is literally the level of the color channels (as opposed to luminance which is black & white channels)

Chroma phase is similar to "tint" as it adjust the color channels "side to side" as opposed to "up/down".

(2) Skin Tone Detail is a feature that reduce sharpeness in a particular color range (white folks skin). The effect is subtle and more apparent under bright studio lights and closeups. Basically, to make people look younger and healthier.

(3) I shoot only thin as you can soften the flicker in post for NTSC output. If you have no easy/fast post setup, thick might be useful or if you are shooting to give the tape to some other source and/or cutting with other less sharp cams (XL1 etc.)

(4) -50db and -60db is depending on the mike you are using. -60db I assume is for more sensitive mikes, but I'm not a field mike pro either, so don't take my word on this. Anyone else?

(5) & (6) - I don't recall the answers off the top of my head to each, but both are in the manual, just not sure where.

Glen Elliott May 16th, 2003 10:17 AM

Thanks for the input. Regarding #4...the odd thing is when I switch it to -60db it get MORE sensitive. Now if it's really based on a negative scale then that should mean it's more attenuated than -50db. Odd.

Stephen van Vuuren May 16th, 2003 10:29 AM

With the onboard mike or outboard?