Essential Accessories for DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 20th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #1
Space Hipster

Essential Accessories for DVX100

I'm working on my budget for my upcoming short film I will be shooting in early 2003 with an AG-DVX100 and trying to decide what accessories to budget for.

I sold my Canon XL1, Canon 3X and 14X lenses and the Century Optics .7x bayonet mount adaptor (it was the model made esp. for the Canon lens). I also have sold my steaditracker extreme (it was too tiring to use 4-6 hours a day) and balancing when changing lenses became a real pain).

I already own lights, tripod and audio gear.

What I'm considering is:

(1) Tele-Extender (would like at least 2X and best image quality possible). Have not heard what might be available.

(2) Wide Angle Adaptor. I frequently used the Century Optics on the Canon 3X lens and love that look. There's a Panasonic part number in the brochure and owner's manual, but no info.

(3) Stabilizer. Prefer body mount and ability to move camera in 4 axis during shot. Comfortable as possible.

(4) Jib arm on dolly track. Must fit in tight spaces and lock camera and jib securely to track (have shot at edge of cliff).

(5) Set Monitor. I have a 14" Sony Broadcast, but low end model, only resolves around 350 lines. Also heavy and requires AC power. Would like quality monitor for critical focus and color adjustments, but want portable and battery power. Not sure if LCD on camera will meet those needs. Thinking of a strange solution - a Toshiba DVD player (http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/portable/current/SDP2000.html)

(6) 16:9 guides. I do not want to use in-camera letterbox (want to do this in post), but can't figure out if camera has 16:9 guides. Maybe fashion something to LCD.

(7) Anamorphic Lens - not sure, hopefully details will be forthcoming soon.
Old September 21st, 2002, 05:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: AG-DVX100 - what accessories to buy?

<<<-- (6) 16:9 guides. I do not want to use in-camera letterbox (want to do this in post), but can't figure out if camera has 16:9 guides. Maybe fashion something to LCD. -->>>

I am curious about 16:9 conversion in post vs. in-camera letterbox.

It is my understanding that letterbox will place black bars top and bottome to reduce the active 480 vertical (to 360 or whatever the magic number is) giving the new active area a 16:9 ratio. I understand most feel that this is inferior to editing 4:3 to 16:9 in post.

The question I have not resolved in my mind is why? What magic will be done in post other then clipping top and bottom to achieve this 16:9 ratio (loosing the same lines letterbox lost). Squeezing down the image size won't work after capture only before with an anamorphic lens. Same vertical resolution is left after clipping active down that would be clipping black bars off.

I can see possibly making use of the off center (vertical) content to help with less then perfect camera work, but other then that I'm stumped.

Please enlighten me on this as I from the 4:3 world, soon to become transfused into 16:9... Ouch!

-Rodger
Rodger Marjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 03:21 AM   #3
Outer Circle

Re: "AG-DVX100 - what accessories to buy?"

An Arri as a back-up?

Actually, you can go all out with this one, or settle for a good tripod and fluid head.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 10:14 AM   #4
Space Hipster

>>An Arri as a back-up?

As long as you're buying stock. I like to shoot about 10:1...
Old September 30th, 2002, 01:54 PM   #5
Outer Circle

I've heard that Tiffen is making some lens adaptors for the DVX100.
Old November 1st, 2002, 03:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

All I need is that wide angle and I'll be da man!
-Vinson
Vinson Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 12:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

About to order DVX100, last minute questions!

Hey guys, I'm finally ready to order my DVX100 (Zotz has an amazing price)... and I'm wondering what accessories people wish they'd bought up front? Any suggestions? Specific tapes (I'm looking at the Panasonic 63PQs)? Filters, batteries, etc, any info would be helpful, thanks guys.

Moore
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 02:49 PM   #8
New Boot

Accessories

Forget the PQ, go with the MQ tapes. Here is the best price
I've been able to buy online ($5.75 each, cheaper than lots
of other overpriced places selling PQ tapes):

http://tapestockonline.com/pan63minmaster.html

The supplied battery is pathetically small (i.e. 45 minutes
max). Go with a couple of bigger batteries (3600ma,
compared to the default 1600ma batteries):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh1.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___261329___POCGRD28___REG___CatID=0___SID=F2 2BC5B3982

Get a polarizing filter (72mm), you choose the brand, for outdoor shots where you want to see the blue sky.

Get a UV filter to protect the lens in crappy conditions (sandy
eaches, etc).

Get a lens cleaner and real lens cloths (the viewfinder glass is
extremely subject to fine scratching, more so than the lens).

A 1394 firewire cable if you don't already have one.

Tim
Tim Otholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 03:07 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Before buying tapes from anywhere else, be sure to check with our sponsor, Pro-Tape in Austin, TX at www.pro-tape.com -- if they don't actually beat that price, they'll come close. Pro-Tape is an authorized DV Info Net sponsor and they will definitely treat you right. I've been buying tape from them for 13 years. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 04:52 PM   #10
New Boot

MQ tapes...

They are higher quality tapes than the PQ line... go only with the MQ tapes... there is no reason at all to buy PQs at all.

Tim
Tim Otholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2002, 02:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Too bad Pro-Tape does not give realtime shipping costs. I think it's a bit gutsy to order something without knowing how much shipping will be.

Otherwise, there prices look just as good as my normal tape provider, Tape Resources.
Mark Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 03:35 AM   #12
Regular Crew

accessories what will i need ?

Hi i just purchased a DVX100 and am looking for the accessries i will need for shooting a short movie can anyone tell me what i should get ? I know ill need lighting and tripod and an extra battery case etc. but what type of filter should i buy and what lenses should i get etc. I would be greatful for any advise in this area and if you know of a good price a on the items what i should pay for them so that im not getting ripped off .
Thank you.
Randy Turner.
Old April 30th, 2003, 04:07 AM   #13
Outer Circle

A Lowepro Nova 5 or 6 bag is nice, and inexpensive. For filters, a UV and a polarizer are good to have. Tiffen, Hoya, Vanguard are good yet inexpensive. Get some Fuji or Pana tapes. A head cleaning tape and a lens cleaning cloth can be handy. For a tripod, you have many options, depending on how much you want to spend. How much do you want to spend?
Old April 30th, 2003, 06:38 AM   #14
Inner Circle

And even though your zoom goes fairly wide it's still in need of a wide-angle converter in my view. Getting them in 72mm diameter fit isn't going to be easy or cheap but get a good one and you'll hardly ever take it off.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:03 AM   #15
Regular Crew

72mm converter ?

what lenses and filters fit the DVX100 as far as the size i need etc.
Thank you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant