The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old December 29th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #496
Inner Circle

Re: The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread

Wow - that was quick!

In particular, how could I have missed the tendency to overexpose in bright conditions in iAuto - silly me. (This cold I'm recovering from must have been even worse than I thought - I got it as an unwelcome Xmas present...)

Good additions!
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #497
Major Player

I've been waiting for a TM900 replacement myself as an upgrade for my HV20. So i'm waiting for the "next" round of things as p50/60 is on my Must Have List and i'm hopeing the Canon will have it this round. If they do it better than Pana's next TM900 i'll go with them. But at this stage they seem to be way behind the ball in many areas but i'll have to wait and see. One thing is for sure though... with the success of the 700 and now the 900... if the next one follows suit and the Canon drops the ball i'll have no hesitation in grabbing a Pana!
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #498
Major Player

Firstly, I would like to see Panasonic Australia support this model, my only only way of purchasing one is as a “grey import” - fortunately I have not required service. With this lack of interest I sometimes wonder if there will be a new model. Locally I can still buy a TM 700 at about double the price of a “grey” TM 900.

Andy, I have found charging the battery on camera to be very useful as it is possible connect a 9.3 volts supply to the camera and so avoid using the camera battery. If not actually using the camera the on-board battery is recharged by the external supply. All that is needed is a 12 or more volt battery and a few dollars worth of readily available components.
I miss LANC, but a lot can be done with a motorised control ring and the Infrared remote.

My improvement list - in addition to those already mentioned by others: -
A prerecord that can be left on permanently rather than be reset after every shot.
The ability to connect an HDMI cable without opening the finder to facilitate use in a compact under-water housing or when using the camera remotely.
An infrared remote sensor on the rear of the camera as well as on the front.
A removable infrared cut filter to enable the use of infrared illumination.
A couple of ideas from my nikon D300. It has a large and complicated menu system, however it is possible to set up a small customised menu with one’s most used items arranged in an order of one's choice.
Also in the Nikon it is possible to have consecutive picture numbers i.e. numbering can continually increment and not return to zero with each formatting. A similar unique and permanent number displayed on the TM 900 would be useful.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #499
Trustee

Aother TM900 video

showing off the TM900, in good and dim light.

A day in a famous city: A hall, a bell, a horse winny, flags, street music, holiday decorations, Amish, food, memorials, holiday light show.

108060p, manual shutter, aperture and sometimes focus.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #500
New Boot

I just noticed that if no one beats me to it this will be the 500th post in this thread. I would just like like to say that I have and continue to learn more about my SD900 from this thread and to hope that all the posters here have a prosperous and productive new year!

All the best

Mark
Mark Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #501
Inner Circle

And to you too Mark - and everyone else who has helped make this area of the forum so useful!

500 posts (501 now...) and 65,500 views in just shy of a year. Not bad for a tiny little cam.

I guess it's yet more evidence that these little Panny's punch well above their weight - as many shots in Mark R's latest video will easily confirm.
Old January 1st, 2012, 09:43 AM   #502
Space Hipster

I just got a TM900. They're really selling cheap now, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a new model coming out soon. I noticed Panny has discontinued the TM90.

I'm thinking about adding an external mike, as the on-board mikes pick up a lot of handling noise. Anyone recommend a relatively cheap mike, perhaps a Rode model?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 09:54 AM   #503
Inner Circle

Rode Videomic Pro is definitely the one I'd recommend - search back in this thread and on the Audio section and you'll see a number of posts and pics by me (the first lot on Page 6). Note that the original Rode Videomic is way too big for general use on the TM900!

Someone had good success with the new small, stereo Nikon mic (ME-1 was the code I think) so that's a possible option [Note, I did not initially think the TM900 would power it but this was later shown to be perfectly possible by another poster - Ian, on page 24 - but he did comment that it was "good at picking up wind noise"].

I (generally) read about variable results with the Sennheisser MKE400 mic so look at that one very carefully before you consider buying it.

Those would be my suggestions.
Old January 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM   #504
Space Hipster

Thanks, Andy.
That Rode looks positively huge on the TM900! And I see you had problems getting yours to fit on the mount.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #505
Regular Crew

Using a TM900 as a secondary cam to HMC40/80

I currently own an HMC-80 and use it as a primary cam. It's an awesome cam until it gets into low light. My back-up cam is still my old Sony VX-2100. It's great in low light but only shoots SD and lousy 16:9. Like me, it's getting old too. When I film a wedding, I'll use the Sony as a stationary at the rear of the church. As many would attest, it's a pain to edit SD footage into a HD production.
What are your opinions or experiences with using this TM900 as a secondary cam to one of Pani's other AVCHD cams such as the HMC-150, HMC-40/80. I'm in the market but like to do my research first.
A search did not turn up anything with this subject matter so please except my apologies if I missed a thread in the 500+ on this cam.

Thanks!
Steve Loeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:23 PM   #506
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I just got a TM900. They're really selling cheap now, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a new model coming out soon. I noticed Panny has discontinued the TM900.
Is it really discontinued? The two comparable models in this price range in Japan are the TM750 and the Z10000:

panasonic.jp via Google Translate

(click on the Products link and then Digital Video Camera link.)

The former looks like the TM900 and the latter doesn't resemble anything else in the Panasonic US consumer video line. I'd be thinking that Panasonic would replace the TM900 with something that would compete with the Sony NEX-VG20, but what do I know?
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #507
New Boot

I have just been looking through the thread for advice on monopods and fluid heads etc. the Manfrotto 561BHDV1 comes recommended with the fluid head included but I would like to know if for the TM900 it is really necessary to have such a large sized monopod for such a small camera? Would one of the smaller offerings from Manfrotto or another manufacturer be sufficient? Also can one get away without a fluid head using only a monopod at a pinch? I am keen on saving weight and space at the expense of some loss of functionality. I do though want smooth pan shots!

What would you recommend?
Mark Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM   #508
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
Is it really discontinued? The two comparable models in this price range in Japan are the TM750 and the Z10000:

panasonic.jp via Google Translate

(click on the Products link and then Digital Video Camera link.)

The former looks like the TM900 and the latter doesn't resemble anything else in the Panasonic US consumer video line. I'd be thinking that Panasonic would replace the TM900 with something that would compete with the Sony NEX-VG20, but what do I know?
My original post says the TM90 - not the TM900 - is discontinued. How did my text change when you quoted me??
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:02 PM   #509
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Evans View Post
I have just been looking through the thread for advice on monopods and fluid heads etc. the Manfrotto 561BHDV1 comes recommended with the fluid head included but I would like to know if for the TM900 it is really necessary to have such a large sized monopod for such a small camera? Would one of the smaller offerings from Manfrotto or another manufacturer be sufficient? Also can one get away without a fluid head using only a monopod at a pinch? I am keen on saving weight and space at the expense of some loss of functionality. I do though want smooth pan shots!

Mark,

I use the Monfrotto 561B, which is a fine monopod. I also have its smaller brother, the 560B-1 with the same 3 short feet and fluid coupler at the base. The 560B-1 is shorter (66" vs 79") , lighter, and comes with the 234RC head which is not suited for smooth video tilting.

560b-1

I removed the 234RC head and replaced it with the Velbon PH-368 for $29 from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/152289-REG/Velbon_PH_368_PH_368_2_Way_Panhead.html

This head will not impress your friends, but works very well in this application, especially for tilt only. I lock the pan on the head and use the Monfrotto's fluid foot and use the tilt on the Velbon head. The Velbon is a slightly bulkier than I'd like, but is very smooth and the overall package is light, and inexpensive. You could certainly mount a different head, should you choose to do so. The larger 561B has the sliding mounting plate for balancing the camera, which really isn't much of an issue for the TM900. The larger 561B has a non adjustable tilt counterbalance, requiring you to hold the handle on the light TM900 in many situations to keep the head from springing back towards level. The 561B is the more professional rig, but is really suited better for heavier cameras.

All in all, I tend to use the shorter, less expensive 560B-1 with the TM900 unless I need the extra height. Both pods benefit from an occasional drop of WD-40 or other light oil on the lower fluid coupling's ball-joint to keep it moving buttery smooth. Great gear.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM   #510
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Evans View Post

Mark,

You'll be fine with the smaller 560B-1. Also, if you tighten the bottom ball joint slightly, it will function correctly and also allow the monopod to stand on its own with supervision. The unit is very versatile in that you can use no head or any smaller fluid head for tilts.

This entire project was shot with the 560B-1 and GH2:

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders