TM900 with OIS with Lens Filter = Vignetting!?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old September 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Major Player

TM900 with OIS with Lens Filter = Vignetting!?!

May be a soon-to-be owner of the TM900, but read this on Amazon.com review:

"Using *any* lens filter on this camcorder with image stabilization on is a big no-no. When panning the camera with a filter on, the edges of the filter slowly encroach on the image in the frame, giving you a terrible shot. I would only recommend using filters if the camcorder is mounted on a tripod and image stabilization is turned off. You won't notice this problem until you're reviewing your footage on a computer. By then it's too late."

Is this true? Even with just a lens filter? I saw this vignetting with the Raynox .66 WA which I plan to use with the TM900 in some situations. Can anybody comment, confirm, deny this? Many thanks.

Old September 20th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: TM900 with OIS with Lens Filter = Vignetting!?!

Dont see it on mine,is there a hood on the WA adaptor ??
Just checked mine, no problem at all, mind you, I would never pan as fast as shown on the clip above.
Used TM900, Raynox 6600
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Colin. Not sure what's going on in the clip above, but you can see vignetting in the upper and lower corners on the left side of the frame. Not sure what's going on. If you're not seeing this with with the .66 and an XHA1 Lens hood then all is good.

Question though, does the TM900 LCD have overscan or is it truescan?

Also, what's your opinion of the Raynox .66 on the TM900? Many thanks again!

Kevin
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you whip pan with the TM900 with BOTH the lens hood and 46mm filter on (I have a rotating polariser which I use in certain applications) you will definitely see encroachment of the filter into the edges of the shot as the (excellent) OIS does its job exactly like in the second half of that video. At full wide (35mm) it will vignette a little in each corner of the frame (even when stable/static, with or without OIS on). With just the hood on or just a filter on this does not happen. This is with a Hoya CIR-PL filter and supplied TM900 lens hood. Hope this helps.
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The first thing I did when I got my TM700 was to purchase a 46mm to 58mm step up ring, and then purchased filters and lenses that fit 58mm threads, this gives some room to stack filters, or add wide angle lenses with less fear of vignette. Using the regular OIS setting instead of the mega OIS setting will help and/or make sure to zoom in a bit instead of recording at full wide angle.
Jeremy Dallek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders