TM 700 time/date display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old October 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

TM 700 time/date display

How do I get the time and date to display and record? I looked in the manual, but can't seem to find the info I need. I need to have it displayed and recorded - it there a way to do this? The only way I can get it to display the T/D is to play it out of the camera. If I copy the video from the SD card to my computer HD, then insert the video file on the timeline in Vegas, is there a way to display the T/D?

Last edited by Herm Stork; October 10th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.
Herm Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: TM 700 time/date display

I'm surprised there hasn't been an answer to this, as I thought that Vegas could do this. Perhaps someone could confirm if that is the case.

Otherwise give DVMP Pro a look.
Colin Browell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Well, sure, you can add a time and date stamp in post in any NLE relatively easily. But (as far as I'm aware) you cannot do this during recording on a TM900 (which I have) and so I assume neither can you on a TM700. This is what Herm was hoping for I think. Personally I'd never use that feature even if it was available - but I'm sure there are instances where it's absolutely critical for some applications (e.g. court room filming etc.)
Old October 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Well, sure, you can add a time and date stamp in post in any NLE relatively easily.
Andy, I'd be happy with a way to display the T/D in my NLE, Vegas. I can't figure out how to do it.

Colin, I downloaded the trial version of DVMP Pro. This may work for me, thanks.

Last edited by Herm Stork; October 13th, 2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old October 14th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Herm, just use a text overlay and make the numbers and/or text just what you need them to be.
Old October 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Andy, I need the original time that the video was recorded. There were several stops/starts. It would take quite a while to set text overlays.
Old October 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Well, as far as I know that's the only way you can do it - in post - with the TM700 and TM900. If it's critical then I'd suggest you'd be better off buying/hiring a camcorder that can do date/time stamp overlay during recording.

These little Panny's are amazing/do a lot but, alas for you, this is not one of their features.
Old October 14th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The video is from a client (I'm just happy that they finally got rid of their old 8mm camcorder).
Old October 15th, 2011, 04:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Well, as far as I know that's the only way you can do it - in post
That's right. But as Herm mentioned he needs the original date and time the clips were shot which is stored by the camera when the recording was made - DVMP Pro can retrieve, display, and batch-stamp multiple files with the original date and time.

I thought that Vegas could do it but maybe I'm mistaken.
Colin Browell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Colin,

I tried the DVMPro demo and it will do what I need. BUT, the 5 second mts video clip I tried, when converted with a time/date stamp, was over a 1.27 GB. avi file. Are you familiar enough with DVMPro to tell me what I did wrong? That's a huge file for 5 seconds.
Old October 16th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm Stork View Post
How do I get the time and date to display and record? I looked in the manual, but can't seem to find the info I need. I need to have it displayed and recorded - it there a way to do this? The only way I can get it to display the T/D is to play it out of the camera. If I copy the video from the SD card to my computer HD, then insert the video file on the timeline in Vegas, is there a way to display the T/D?
The date/time stamp on these Panasonic models is made using a separate track, similar to subtitles. This is great because you don't have the date/time permanently burned into the video, but bad as it requires the software you use to be able to show these subtitles.

Vegas doesn't support these separate date/time stamps.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
That's a huge file for 5 seconds.
Sounds like you have left the compression setting to the default "Uncompressed". You can choose any of the compressors that are on your own PC - whatever suits your own requirements of quality vs file-size. The compressor setting is described in the online help, and there are some recommendations here

DVMP Pro 5 - Codecs and Tips

You can also choose the font, size, position, format and language. Have a rummage through the help for the Burn-in tool.
Colin Browell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders