Panasonic HC-X920 review - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old March 4th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Panasonic HC-X920 review

Anyone know the release date for the 920?
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I just bought the predecessor to the HC-X920, the X900. I don't really need the built-in Wi-Fi that the 920 offers, and I'm not sure if the BSI implementation will make a marked difference in image quality sufficient to justify spending the extra money. Besides, the X900 is on for a really good price right now ($619.00).
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:52 PM   #33
Tourist

Hi, Steve, I am about to pull the trigger on an X900. Where are you seeing it for $619? Thanks.
Jeff Moravec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #34
Major Player

Still not many user reviews from the X920. It's look like a very good low light performer. Anyone tested this one against the bigger AG-AC90 in low light?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I’m curious myself how this stacks up against the Canon HF G10/20. I’m wavering a bit in my Canon Fanboy status. I’ve been really impressed with my Panny Plasma, Blu-ray, DVD players for value vs. performance. Not that it equates to quality in their cameras, but I keep hearing so much buzz over their GH2/3.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #36
Major Player

Hi Jason -

Here is the slashcam side by side of the analogous European models, the X929 and G25:

HD camcorder reviews/tests and comparison of Panasonic HC-X929 and Canon HF G25 Best values highlighted sorted by score

Looking at the side-by-side, the $898 (as of this post) X920 has a higher max bit rate (28mbps) than the 24mbps of the $999 (backordered from Amazon at this price) HF G20. And the X920 has a larger capacity stock battery too (1250mah vs 850mah).

On the other hand, the HF G20 has pro features such as color bars, a LANC port and cinegammas.

Based on the slashcam test, I think the X920's 12 lux low light performance is marginally better. - plus the 60p frame rate and saving $100 are both important considerations for me.

It's a tough call, but if I was upgrading from my TM900, I'd probably go with the X920.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Lanc port is a nice thing to have; even with my super cheapo Lanc controller – will check out those comparisons though. Thanks!
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #38
Trustee

I just ordered an X920 from B&H at their current $900+/- price yesterday, after looking into it, as well as the PJ710V, G20, and PX100.

I discounted the JVC pretty fast, and then the Canon for lack of 60p mode. That left the Sony and the Panasonic. The specs for the Panasonic have it with an f/1.5-2.8 vs f/1.8-3.4 lens. The specs also show lux of 1.6 for the x920, and 3 for the 710V, both at 1/30 sec shutter of course.

I figured for roughly the same price, the Panasonic would give me 3 chips vs 1, better low light performance, much better at the tele end due to the aperture rating, but then I saw this YouTube comparison today.

You can imagine my dismay when the Sony footage shows significantly better low light imaging than the Panasonic! Also, I see no apparent picture quality advantage with 3 chips, in fact, the Sony seems to look sharper, and the Panasonic video seems to have some sort of wavering in details.

The Sony is on sale until tomorrow for only about $70 more than what I paid for the x920. Should I buy the Sony and return the Panasonic when it arrives, or should there be some "gain-up" DNR and telephoto aperture advantages that there are currently no side by side comparison videos of that would still make the Panasonic a better bet for 100% night use?

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Hi Paul and welcome to DVInfo.

Tricky question to answer and in truth only you can decide what to do. I often agonise for weeks over any camera purchases.

I will say that I have a TM900 (about 2 models back) and it's proved to be a superbly useful cam. Razor sharp and the 1080p50/60 is superb. This latest Panasonic model has a number of improvements over mine for sure.

I will say the mics on the TM900 are VERY susceptible wind noise, even in the slightest breeze. Seems that is still a problem for the X920 with the comparison video you posted above - the Sony PJ780 shots had much better/useable ambient audio in those riverside shot comparisons.

Maybe this latest Sony has the edge in some picture quality aspects versus the X920 too, I could not say for sure (I liked each cams results for different reasons). Any (picture quality) differences between these two cams are going to be minor/really only observable to pixel peepers, as you see above.

What's more important is to choose something that feels right for you, learn it's menu and characteristics/weaknesses/strengths inside out, and then shoot lots of stuff with it - and enjoy it!

The technical skills and creativity of the film maker/editor are what's really important. Either of these cams will produce a picture quality that just 10 years ago, maybe less, would have been undreamt of, even in a cam costing more than my house is worth!

Whatever you decide, once you have, don't forget to let us know how it works out - and good luck!
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #40
Trustee

Well, I found the evidence too compelling to ignore, and went ahead and ordered the Sony. So, on Tuesday, the Panasonic will arrive, followed by the Sony on Wednesday. Does anyone know B&H's return policy? I am considering testing both cameras side by side and returning the loser.

If B&H will take an opened return, I would be happy to do a full gamut of tests on the Panasonic, even comparing it to my Panasonic SPX800 P2 broadcast camera. If anyone has any specific tests they would like to see done, please let me know and I will try to provide them. YouTube and/or full quality test files can be provided as well.

Paul
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #41
Trustee

Both of my cameras finally arrived, and the chose of which one to keep was easy. See below for comparison still captures of the Panasonic x920 left, and Sony PJ710v right.

My primary concern was low light, followed by easy to access/use manual controls, but after seeing the HORRIFIC chromatic aberration of the Sony's Leica lens, I had no choice but to pack it up and ship it back to B&H. I don't know if this is just the quality of the product, or if I got a defective unit, but there was no way I was choosing the Sony. The Sony also has a red/purple tint in the day, and an orange hue at night. As for low light ability, they are roughly even, with the Panasonic going blurry and smearing, and the Sony adding sharp blue sparkling noise. The Sony lens is noticeably wider though. The larger diameter iris of the Panasonic is evident by the added depth of field observable in the car antenna in the foreground. The Sony can do 1/8th sec shutter speed though, which I really wanted, but it's manual controls were a real PITA to access and use. The Panasonic is much more professionally oriented, with db rated gain display, razor thin zebra as opposed to huge thick diagonal stripes in the Sony, and lager easier to select menu buttons and physical controls. The Panasonic is as simple to use as a 57 Chevy. The Sony is like trying to manipulate a modified Nissan GT-R's ECM using a code scanner!
Old June 20th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Good info - and I'm sure very useful to those trying to decide between these two. Thanks for posting.
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #43
Trustee

Wanted to post an update to my x920. The manual control dial has become extremely stiff, requiring wrapping several fingers around it to turn it. I use this dial 99% of the time to adjust the gain for my night shooting, and with the force needed, I might as well be torquing a lug nut on the side of the camera, the whole thing wiggles. I used to be able to support the lower left side of the camera with my left hand, and simply turn the ring with my index finger, very smooth and easy.

Unfortunately, Panasonic only offers a 90 day warranty on labor, so I am stuck with this turd now........ugh. Other than the tight ring, I LOVE the camera still, it's video airs every morning on the news.
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:20 AM   #44
Trustee

For anyone interested, I shot a two camera X920 vs my Panasonic HDC27H DVCPRO HD Varicam, just to see how they look side by side, or in this case, one on top of the other! The HDC27H had a standard definition Canon J11x4.5 lens attached, and was shooting in 720p60. The X920 was set to 1080p60. The X920 as well as the Varicam were both set to manual modes, and white balanced off of the same white paper. For the wide angle shots, the X920 was a full wide, and the Canon J11 was just under 8mm. For the telephoto stuff, I tried to match the X920 to the J11's maximum 50mm. Since YouTube and Vimeo don't do 60fps, I put all the footage into a 1080p60 timeline, and exported it as 1080p30 26Mbps AVC h264, which is what I uploaded to YouTube to produce the video below.

I have been so pleased with my little X920, that I am upgrading to a new Sony AX100, with a 1" 4K sensor, using a 50/60Mbps XAVC S h264 codec. The only thing I don't like about the little cameras is loosing real wide angle ability, as I cannot find any really descent wide angle converters that don't look like garbage, at any price!

Old May 10th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #45
Major Player

Anyone know if you can do clean HDMI out to a computer for use in live streaming? Would like to have something better than web cam, and less than a pro camera like the GH3 or 4. It appears from the specs it can do that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders