DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic HC Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic HC-X920 review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/513262-panasonic-hc-x920-review.html)

Walt Stagner January 7th, 2013 01:01 PM

Panasonic HC-X920 review

Here's info on the x900m replacement.

Panasonic HC-X920 review ? Hands on | Expert Reviews

I was hoping for something a little more upscale, but that didn't happen.

Chris Hurd January 7th, 2013 01:05 PM

Re: Panasonic HC-X920 review

I split this post out of our mammoth TM900 thread, mainly because it's not about the now-long-discontinued TM900 but rather the replacement of the replacement of the TM900. Thanks for understanding!

Andy Wilkinson January 7th, 2013 01:13 PM

And here is the full Panasonic Press Release. Back lit sensor illumination sounds a great new addition - should really improve the low light performance! (as claimed below)

Panasonic Introduces Full Lineup of Full-HD Camcorders at DV Info Net

Walt Stagner January 7th, 2013 01:18 PM

If the 920 is anywhere close to $999, it's not worth it (at least for me).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838813-REG/Panasonic_HC_X900M_HC_X900M_High_Definition_Camcorder.html
would seem to be a better value UNLESS the new model comes in at $799.

Just MY opine, of course.

Chris Hurd January 7th, 2013 01:59 PM

Interesting hands-on report here:

Panasonic HC-X920 HD camcorder pictures and hands-on - Pocket-lint

Walt Stagner January 7th, 2013 02:07 PM

No way will it be 1000 BP, I'd say more likely 600 BP and Panny will be lucky to get that. $999 US will be pushin it. We have that Pro Model ac90 lurking about for less than 2k.

Walt Stagner January 7th, 2013 10:50 PM

Here's the Pana page: HC-X920/HC-X920M/HC-X910 | HD Camcorder | Panasonic Global

Clayton Moore January 8th, 2013 12:45 AM

New: X920: 3mos

Panasonic HC-X920K - X920: 3MOS Ultrafine Full HD Video Camcorder - Overview

Clayton Moore January 8th, 2013 11:21 AM

For an MSRP of $1000, Id look more closely at the new Canon that has reportedly a %20 improvement in low light ( VIXIA HF G20 Camcorder ) and Id bet superior glass. So I agree pricing wise, if it rolls at the same price as the Canon, I think that Canon will eat its lunch.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : VIXIA HF G20

Tom Roper January 8th, 2013 12:41 PM

I think G20 will not equal the low light performance of the X920 BSI backside illumination 3MOS chips which claim 50% noise reduction, fast Leica f/1.5 lens. Also 5 axis optical stabilizer, not to mention AVCHD 2.0 with 1920x1080/60p. The Canon will not be able to equal the resolution either with its single cmos chip and RGB filter.

Andy Wilkinson January 8th, 2013 01:10 PM

Tom hit the nail on the head. The Panny will have 1000 TV lines resolution, but I bet the Canon won't.

Phil Lee January 8th, 2013 03:40 PM

Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 1771942)
I think G20 will not equal the low light performance of the X920 BSI backside illumination 3MOS chips which claim 50% noise reduction, fast Leica f/1.5 lens. Also 5 axis optical stabilizer, not to mention AVCHD 2.0 with 1920x1080/60p. The Canon will not be able to equal the resolution either with its single cmos chip and RGB filter.

Seems Panasonic are giving us little extra and I'm sceptical of the noise reduction claims, their PR have made these claims on each new model and it's never been seen in the real world!

Still the sensors are larger and back lit, but then carry more pixels, so each pixel is smaller so has less light gathering ability and so more noise in low light. I wouldn't be surprised if noise results are very similar in this camcorder to the last model. It is still the numbers game with pixels.

We also still have a fan and I guess the same noise issues if using the internal mic, so nothing new in the LSI department, still the same hot old chip.

Also disappointed Panasonic haven't given us higher recording rates like Canon, which would make a bigger difference than any other change possible, however that probably comes down to these camcorders having the same LSI as previous models which just isn't capable of doing it.

Their PR also allude to the camcorder being Ultra HD as this is the latest buzz word with "equivalent to four times the pixel count of Full-HD" in their blurb to trick those new to this hobby, of course it doesn't matter how many pixels are on the sensor we still get 1920x1080, but I guess that is why they are packing so many pixels so they could boast such things, and then had to go with a back lit sensor to keep the noise levels the same, sorry I mean provide another 50% reduction on previous models.

Really want a reason to get a new camcorder from Panasonic, but two years on the trot, they've really done nothing interesting.

Regards

Phil

Tom Roper January 8th, 2013 05:19 PM

No, I think it's likely they trumped Canon with the X920 model, 4k pixel shift ad hype aside. The noise reduction in my observation of the AC90 is real and it is large. That said, there does not appear to be a big increase in light sensitivity, but there is a very prominent reduction in chroma noise with the new bsi chips that makes for an exceptionally clean image at 21db, and still very good at 30db. The advantage is you can use more gain cleanly, and the lens itself is 1/3 stop faster. The photo site count and size is not as large as you are probably thinking, as Panasonic totals the count from 3 sensors for 8,040k , but it is 2.2 mp effective or 2.6 mp gross count per R,G,B..

Walt Stagner January 8th, 2013 06:42 PM

To me, there seems to be a huge hole tween 1-2k pricing, but maybe there's no market there?

The Pana ac90 seems like a steal for $1849 (B&H price), but I'd like to see a stripped down consumer version for $1299 or so but I dunno what they could strip out to make it profitable for them.:-(

Tom Roper January 8th, 2013 08:04 PM

I was assuming the AC90 shared the sensor with the X920 since the lens focal length is the same, but per the specs it does not. The sensor is actually much larger in the X920 (1/2.3 in) but it is under-utilized. The net result is the photosite size is 2.0 micron for the X920, 3.6 micron for the G20. The question that can't be answered, is how much of the G20's surface area is taken up by light blocking circuity? We know that 100% of the surface area is available to gather light on the X920's bsi sensors, as well as not having to be peek through an RGB filter which loses resolution. We'll just have to wait for the test to see which is the most sensitive, but I have seen the noise reduction attributable to bsi sensors in the AC90 and it is no exaggeration.