Sony 1" or Panasonic HC-X1000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old June 12th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony 1" or Panasonic HC-X1000?

I'm looking for a future-proof (read: 4k) camera for my retirement days (which came earlier than expected due to my illness) - and am torn between the 2 options:

- a camera with large sensor (Sony AX100 or X70), unable of anything above 30p
- a camera with a smallish sensor (1/3.2"), less sensitive but capable of 50/60p - like the Panasonic HC-X1000

The first "teaser" clips from Panasonic on YT were not very spectacular, with a much softer and less detailed image that that coming from the little Sonys - moreover, ever since there is almost no discussion f the HC-X1000 on the fora. Does it mean that the image quality is really that bad[/b]? Please share your opinions - I'm tempted by the superb form factor, ergonomics, 3 lens rings of the Pana but of course wouldn't like to end up with a camera whose IQ is questionable! TIA

Piotr
Old June 14th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony 1" or Panasonic HC-X1000?

IMHO I think 4K is too much to ask for the 1/3" (or thereabouts) sensor class. Not just the Panasonic X1000's image that may look questionable, I feel the 4K image from the Sony AX1 and PXW-Z100 looks disappointing as well. In the case of the Sonys, the resolution and detail seem OK but other attributes such as light sensitivity, lens (or maybe sensor) aberrations and dynamic range are clearly inferior to those cameras with 1" or larger sensor.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

I know this message is a month later, but...

Quote:
and am torn between the 2 options:

- a camera with large sensor (Sony AX100 or X70), unable of anything above 30p
- a camera with a smallish sensor (1/3.2"), less sensitive but capable of 50/60p - like the Panasonic HC-X1000
There's a third option coming this fall, the DVX200, which gives you both. A larger sensor than the AX100 or X70, and full 4K/60p. It'll also do 1080/120p.

The HC-X1000 is a great little camera, but frankly it does need a lot of light. It makes absolutely brilliant pictures outdoors, but indoors it clocks in at about ISO 50, so it needs a lot of additional light -- or outrageous amounts of gain, and gain leads to noise.

Of course, if you need something soon, the DVX200 isn't an option, as it won't be on the market for another three months or so...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It also looks like the DVX200 QFHD at 60P may be similar size to a 1" sensor due to cropping. Which may still be the largest sensor at this price point but with not a very good wide angle lens, 37mm equivalent. I think the HC-X1000 is very similar in performance to the FDR-AX1 ( or PXW-Z100 ) similar ( the same !!! ) sensor. I too am waiting for a true large sensor camera that will do 60P to get an improvement over my FDR-AX1.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #5
Tourist

I just bought an HC-X1000 after 6 years of service of a SONY Z5.

The HC-X1000 is very similar to the Z5 in low light. So I am not disapointed. I try to avoid low light situation, and bring lights when needed.

That's a small chip camcorder allowing for easy focusing in any situation. I balanced that having a short depth of field would bring more focusing issues in my work which is more a "run & gun" shooting style. So a small chip is good for me.

I am satisfied with the X1000 so far. It is somehow a Z5 : same zoom, lighter and shorter, offering all the features of 2015 camcorders : 4K, strong codecs, great stabilisation, cool features like histogram, Dynamic Range Stretch, area mode to focus on a subject at a touch on the LCD screen, a focus assist with zoom and outline, horizontal and vertical levels, Wifi, etc.
The footage can be loaded in Vegas 13 without conversion, and edition is easy on my computer (an i7-5820K @3.30 Ghz with 8Gb Ram).

My big concern is that you can not use both LCD screen and eye viewfinder at the same time ! If you flip out the LCD, the EVF turns off !
I wish they will add in the menu the option to turn on EVF when LCD is out in the next firmware. It is good to automatically turn on/off the EVF but at least they should let the user decide...
Emmanuel Asset is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders