panasonic hc-x1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:49 AM   #1
Major Player

panasonic hc-x1

a new 1" entry from pannie:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sku&...hrome&ie=UTF-8

looks interesting.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:38 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: panasonic hc-x1

A good camcorder on paper. I will wait to look some footage, especially in low light.
Danilo Sindoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:02 PM   #3
Austinite

Woah. First I have seen this. That link didn't work for me. This does though:

4K Ultra HD Professional Camcorder - HC-X1 - Panasonic US
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

the >HC-X1 Operating Instructions< with 232 pages, in some different languages, is now available....

happy read on ... https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/hdw/oi/HC-X1/

greetings from €urope/Austria/Vienna .... Hans
Hans Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:42 AM   #5
Trustee

Here are some Sony PXW-Z150 4K 30p examples for those that may be cross shopping...all low light/high gain ENG scenes. I am reading reviews of the X1 that slam it for being extremely noisy.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-...-examples.html
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:24 PM   #6
New Boot

I'm not sure what to make of the couple of HC-X1 reviews complaining about excessive noise. There's one from a reviewer on B&H and one on the Panasonic website complaining about excessive noise at 0 dB gain (judging from the content of the review, it's possible both reviews are from the same person).

But then most of the sample footage I've seen online so far seems to be fine. It's hard for me to see the excessive levels of noise being complained about. Of course some of these samples could have had noise reduction applied in post.

Still, I'm beginning to wonder if some of the negative reviews are due to a faulty camera. Or perhaps due to some issues with camera settings (operator error). If it's anything like the DVX200, there are quite a few options in terms of scene files for controlling the look of things (including settings for noise reduction, among other things), and I'd imagine some settings produce better results than others.

Here's one review of the camera that has some low-light shots:
https://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2016/12/...1-video-review

And here's some sample footage from the camera that looks pretty nice:
Dave Del Vecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:33 PM   #7
Trustee

Probably the same people who think 6db is "too much" on an camera ever made...this is an ECONOMY $3200USD camera...also, are they looking at the footage on an actual TV set, or a computer monitor? I can tell you all of my PC and Mac monitors look noisy compared to my actual UHD set.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Trustee

Hi, i've just purchased an HC-X1, overall i'm happy with it although i've only had a limited amount of time playing with it, i'm yet to use the camera properly, some observations though.

Heaphone noise, i'm getting quite a bit of background noise in the headphones, it doesn't matter what headphones i'm using, from Sony MDR 7506's or sure in ear's or even cheap crap mobile phone headphones, using the cameras internal mics or my Sennheiser MKE600, the background hiss is there. Is this normal ? The noise isn't in the recorded video though.

User switches,,,
Slow motion, user assignable, all good, hit the button, straight into slo-mo, do the shot, hit the button, back into your chosen format mode, um no, if i'm shooting in 4K 50p then i can't do slo-mo, so i still have to dive into the menu, change the format to 1080-25p, exit the menu, then hit the user slo-mo button, then after the shot go back into the menu, switch back to my chosen format etc. It would be good, (maybe with a firmware update) if hitting the user slo-mo button took care of the format change.

High sensitivity (Hi sense), that would be good to have as a user assignable button.
Audio, there's no manual/auto switch behind the audio flap, (the DVX200 has them),again we have to dive into the menu, that would be good to have as a user assignable switch, even if it applied to both channels.

Servo noise from the zoom when zooming quite fast, the noise is recorded on the video, obviously only a problem when using the on camera mic.

Thanks, Paul.
Old February 7th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey Paul. Hope you got my email. Good to hear from you again
Old February 7th, 2017, 05:49 PM   #10
Trustee

Hi Colin,yes i'm back, hence the round 2 signature. No i didn't get an email.. Was it PM on here ?
I'll send you one with my email address. Good to hear from you, cheers Buddy.

Paul.
Old February 13th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Paul,

I am mostly interested in two things.

does it take two sd cards,

what are the 60 p images like and the slow motion speeds, two one of which is 120 fps?
Old February 13th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #12
Trustee

Dale.
Yes it takes 2 sd cards, so can relay record from one card slot to the other continuosly, also there's few other functions available to use with the card slots.
In 4K-50p mode a 128GB card will give me 110 minutes.
I'm in pal land so 50p not 60p, the images look good to me but i'm far from an expert.
Slow motion, that is not 4K, the camera has to be put into format 1080-25p (for me in pal land).

Paul.
Old February 13th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #13
Major Player

I ordered my HC X1 today, and wondered if anyone can recommend third party batteries for it? The list price for the largest capacity battery is over £400 here in the UK, nearly a fifth of the price of the camera.

SWIT make a battery that fits the DVX200 for about £100 -would that also be suitable for the X1?
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bigwood View Post
nearly a fifth of the price of the camera.
The price of the HC-X1 is very reasonable in Europe. Almost $1000 cheaper than US prices. Anyone ever make an order from across the pond?
Old February 13th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bigwood View Post
I ordered my HC X1 today, and wondered if anyone can recommend third party batteries for it? The list price for the largest capacity battery is over £400 here in the UK, nearly a fifth of the price of the camera.

SWIT make a battery that fits the DVX200 for about £100 -would that also be suitable for the X1?
Matt, i presume you got your camera from Preston Media ? Not far from you, that's where i got mine. They do batteries for the X1, i've got batteries made by DOT.FOTO, 7800mAh capacity, slightly bigger than the battery that came with your camera. The batteries work ok so far, they've got the battery check button and leds. I paid £80 each for the batteries.

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders