panasonic hc-x1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old May 26th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #61
Trustee

Re: panasonic hc-x1

Len, I like to shoot manual kelvin preset with LED's, simply because it allows me to have a consistency to add correction effects to the clips. LED's are typically either magenta or green in hue...3200k ones typically green. Whiting (push to white) off them makes everything not in their direct glare pink/purple. :-)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Thank you Paul. Can you tell me the steps to do that? I've read the manual several times and I'm not sure what language it is written in. English words are used but I find it incomprehensible.
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Ok, did a manual white balance of a white card. But the LCD panel colors don't match what I'm seeing. The contract is a bit low and the red level is too low. Is there a way to adjust those? Thanks.
Old June 15th, 2017, 02:10 AM   #64
Trustee

This is why I stick with preset kelvin for white balance...especially these days with off hue LED's. Try setting the kelvin manually, or even white balancing to a wide angle shot if the camera allows it?

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 04:19 AM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Estcourt View Post
SanDisk 256gb cards work fine. Been using them for several months.
John have you had any problems with the 256gb sandisk ? My 4 x sandisk 128gb 90MB/s (the gold ones) have been fine, they cost about £80 but i've just found 256gb version for £100.
My thoughts are that's a lot of eggs in one basket though if the card fails ?

Thanks, Paul.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; June 30th, 2017 at 04:21 AM. Reason: .
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #66
Inner Circle

If you film 4k or 60p you need a big basket for events. You also run the risk of losing card if you pull it. I once put a card in my pocket when pulled out my keys or cell it fell out. You could put it in your camera bag and someone could steal it while unattended. Point being there are many areas of risk.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 02:09 AM   #67
Trustee

I know all that, i just want to know if the cards 256gb work ok.

Thanks, Paul.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 08:18 AM   #68
Regular Crew

I'm getting significant latency in my headphone signal, sounds like it's going through a delay pedal. I have an external mic signal split in two and feeding both Ch. 1 and 2. Have done this before with my XF100 with no latency in the head phone. (The audio in the actual video is fine). Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 08:43 AM   #69
Inner Circle

If there a large distance between the audio sources such as a concert its normal to get a delay. But I don't understand why you would want to split the signal from a mic. That doesn't make sense.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 08:54 AM   #70
Regular Crew

Thanks Pete. This was a test in my studio. The delay happens even when I tap the mic. So this is internal to the camera, not related to distance to audio source. I split the mic into L and R, gives a bigger sound and turns a mono set up into simulated stereo.

Len
Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:41 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Re the headphone audio delay, I found this answer posted by Barry Green at DVXuser:

"Don't think you can do anything about the video lots of processing before it is on the LCD, but on page 190 in the manual you can set the audio to be a live sound or processed in sync with the video to make it easier to monitor when recording a live event.

The LIVE option is to avoid echo in the headphones. The RECORDING option is to match the output.

There is some lag, yes. It takes a little while to route the video through all the processing and then to the outputs. If you listen to the headphones in RECORDING mode, it'll delay the headphone audio to match the video, but then you'll hear a distinct echo between the live spoken words and the headphone delayed words, which can cause a noticeable and distracting echo. So I always put the headphones in LIVE, to avoid that.

As far as delay on the LCD, it's about 3.5 frames. I set up a timecode generator on my phone, and filmed it through the UX180, and then took still frames of both the camera's LCD and the phone's display, and it showed a consistent 3 to 4 frame discrepancy between them.

3 frames is enough to notice a lip sync error, yes. So 3-4 frames, you probably would have been seeing video out of sync with the audio if you were viewing with LIVE set on the headphones. You can choose RECORDING; the only issue is whether you'll hear the echo or not. If you have headphones that do a great job at sealing out outside noise, then RECORDING may be the ideal choice in that situation."
Old December 16th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #72
Major Player

bump this this thread up. Users with this camcorder are still happy with their purchase?
Is it good in low light? If it's better than my sony HXR-NX3 with 3x 1/2.8-inch Exmor that would be nice.

The 1080p is sharper than my sony.(based on youtube videos I saw)

The HC-X1 needs more gain but will be cleaner and still sharper.
(based on the sony NX100 vx NX5 I read here on the forum)

I don't need 4K but I need the 20x zoom for shooting stage events.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #73
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bigwood View Post
I ordered my HC X1 today, and wondered if anyone can recommend third party batteries for it? The list price for the largest capacity battery is over £400 here in the UK, nearly a fifth of the price of the camera.

SWIT make a battery that fits the DVX200 for about £100 -would that also be suitable for the X1?

Yes they work fine, have the same indicator on the back and also a 5v outlet
Old December 18th, 2017, 09:03 AM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post
bump this this thread up. Users with this camcorder are still happy with their purchase?
Is it good in low light? If it's better than my sony HXR-NX3 with 3x 1/2.8-inch Exmor that would be nice.

The 1080p is sharper than my sony.(based on youtube videos I saw)

The HC-X1 needs more gain but will be cleaner and still sharper.
(based on the sony NX100 vx NX5 I read here on the forum)

I don't need 4K but I need the 20x zoom for shooting stage events.
I've had mine for 10 months now, and generally pretty pleased with it. I was using a Sony EA50 before this, and the 1080 on the HC X1 is much more detailed. I find I need to put more effort in to get the best from the Panasonic.

It's not great in low light, but considering the price I paid, I can live with it, pluse the convenience of the 20x zoom and XLRs etc
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #75
Major Player

Not great in low light? Strange because the videos I have seen on youtube seems very nice in low light.
I know my sony FS100 will outperform the HC-X1 in low light but it's for shooting stage shows mostly and run and gun.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders