DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic HC Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic HC-X1 vs FZ2500 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/535833-panasonic-hc-x1-vs-fz2500.html)

Bill Watson May 5th, 2018 08:59 PM

Panasonic HC-X1 vs FZ2500

Hi. I've been using the Panasonic FZ2500 for the last six months. Very happy with it as a run and gun video camera. Great for unobtrusive crowd work too. I do a lot of full zoom video work on tripod, however, and while the FZ2500 is an improvement on my old Canon XH-A1, I find the auto focus a bit jittery at full zoom/pan.
I have a Nikon D750 which I'm hardly using so am thinking of selling that and getting an HC-X1 for the tripod work and using the FZ2500 as second camera. Can anyone tell me if I'd see a significant improvement in footage from the HC-X1 vs the FZ2500? Thanks.

Jase Tanner May 16th, 2018 09:26 AM

Re: Panasonic HC-X1 vs FZ2500

Hi Bill. Sorry I can’t answer your question but I would like to know more about the 2500’s autofocus. I also have an XH A1 but haven’t used it in some time for a number of reasons, not the least of which are its low light capabilites and autofocus. Not having HDMI is the ultimate deal breaker as I’m about to go back to livestreaming.

For all the obvious reasons, I’d prefer something like an HC-X1 or UX-180 but I have been looking at the FZ2500 and watched a few online vids about its autofocus, which for the mostpart seems ok, but still I’ve been skeptical. I’d like to know more about its autofocus being jittery at full zoom/pan.

These days I’m using a GH5 and as good as it is, autofocus is mediocre and very jittery, not to mention the very few power lenses availble. I do have the 45-175 but controlling the speed of the zoom is an issue unto itself.

As much as I’d prefer to stick to Panasonic I have been looking at the Sony Z90 which seems to have excellent autofocus. That said, I’d still prefer a larger video camera.

Bill Watson May 17th, 2018 01:48 PM

Hi Jase. I'm pretty happy with the auto focus, considering I'm often working in low light (sunrise) situations and often panning at full zoom as I follow boats at a distance out across a river mouth bar crossing. There is all sorts of background movement to contend with.. surf, wave ripples, birds, surfers etc. so under those circumstances I'm happy with the result. I like the FZ2500 for a hand held. People don't seem to notice me filming which often gets me more natural footage. I suspect, however, that the HC-X1 might give me better full zoom/pan tripod footage.

David Banner May 24th, 2018 11:08 AM

I also own an FZ2500 and have been wanting to get an HC-X1 or UX180 to pair with it.
I'm guessing the footage would match up and make a good A - B team?
I realize the FZ2500 cannot do UHD 60P but it can output 10bit which the camcorders cannot. Both cams have some advantages over the other. I expect the autofocus might be a little better on the camcorders but cannot claim that from personal experience.
It seems that as long as that zoom is that autofocus would be a challenge for any camera zoomed in that far and panning.

Pete Cofrancesco May 24th, 2018 11:39 AM

I find any camcorder for run n gun or live event is going to make your life so much easier. When it comes to auto focus in low light and contrast, don’t expect miracles from any camera. Canon is by the best if you need facial tracking. I own the ux90 and ux180. In hind sight I wish I saved my money and got a pair of the ux90. I’ve never used the 60p and despite being $1,000 more my ux90 is sharper than the 180. The price to image quality of ux90 is unrivaled by any camcorder.

David Banner May 25th, 2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1944268)
I own the ux90 and ux180. In hind sight I wish I saved my money and got a pair of the ux90. I’ve never used the 60p and despite being $1,000 more my ux90 is sharper than the 180..

The UX90 is sharper in 1080P or in 4K UHD?
I've been wondering just how good the 1080P was in the UX180 since it's getting it from a UHD sensor.

Pete Cofrancesco May 26th, 2018 09:48 AM

I was thinking of sending it back to Panasonic to check it. You could have a point about not filming in its native resolution. I mostly shoot in 1080 to make editing and producing quicker but I’ll have to run a test. I had some else cover a job with a HC-X1 it looked soft too. I was thinking maybe it’s intentional to avoid moire and keep panning smoother. Hard to say. Lot of time you don’t notice sharpness until you do certain types of video.

David Banner May 26th, 2018 10:04 PM

That's interesting. I have shot some 1080p with my FZ2500 and I recall it looking nice. I've been itching to pick up a 180/x1 since they came out to handle most of my run and gun. I was hoping they did good 1080 since most of my work is HD, though if it's demo reel worthy I will probably shoot UHD anyway and scale it down for the client