Micro Four Thirds - the start of low cost shallow DOF videography? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #91
Major Player

thanks - after a fast glance at the chart , it appears that no wide lenses are covered , and the first real coverage starts at 25mm , except the 10mms' which seem to have confusing contradictory info . So my take is that c lenses might not be the way to go . Canon FD lenses , which are also cheap and available on ebay and nearly as fast , and have no problem with image circles seem to be a more viable option . Here's a site that has all of the FD options . I really wish someone would try the c mount zooms ! Imagine an angenieux on this camera with 20-200mm reach (i.e. the 9.5-95mm)

Canon FD lenses - Main Index Page

I've got a few FDs' starting at 17mm and they're great lenses . Remember you have to double the FL for m4/3. Also seems I remember that Pany has a 20mm in the m4/3 pipeline which will preclude any adaptation.
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #92
Regular Crew

Joe -- that C-mount lens compatibility list is a great link! I haven't been on that forum for a little while and there was talk about making such a list, and now here it is!

Kurth -- thanks for that FD lens link. I've been coming round to this option myself, though you need really wide 35mm camera lenses to combat the 2x MFT crop. Normally ultra wide lenses are out of my price range, but Canon FD are an "orphaned" lens series, which makes them more affordable for me. I think a 20mm f2.8 would be a good compromise for me, and if I go down the Samsung NX route instead, that is even less of a crop for a 35mm camera lens.

Thanks again for those links.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #93
Major Player

John - I bought a tokina FD mount 17mm f3.5 on ebay for 90 bucks a few years ago . That'll be 35mm , my favorite focal length on m4/3 .The canon FDs' usually go for less than $100 . The new Panasonic 7-14mm f4 also looks very nice , but quite expensive to obtain ultrawide . This is the reason I'll be open to also getting a new rebel , if it has video , to use my tokina 12-24 f4 . The rebel will be cheaper than the 7-14mm pany . Actually one could buy a rebel and tokina 12-24 for the same price as the 7-14mm . It'll be fun deciding which camera to buy next won't it ? And if Nikon enters with some more models shooting video - whaooo ! Truthfully , I've been waiting for the one -camera solution all of my life , since super8 days , and now it's here , and I want them all ! Actually , for the last year , I've been shooting with my compact so I could have both with me , but while the still files are good , it's still too unresponsive , and the video isn't good enough .The only complaint I have so far with m4/3 is the ergonomics . I hope nikon or olympus will rethink the problem since they have no video market to protect and give us a truly revolutionary camera ....or Red will , one or the other . Video is coming to still cameras and it's coming like a tornado.
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series