DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Leica M lens for video! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/139205-leica-m-lens-video.html)

Dan Chung December 8th, 2008 08:38 PM

Leica M lens for video!

Leica lens adapter for Micro Four Thirds cameras news - Amateur Photographer

Probably the world's best lenses could be used for HD video with this Panasonic Lumix G HD - PhotographyBLOG

OK, so because of the chip size it is going to mean every lens is highly magnified, but it must raise some really interesting possibilities especially if you already use Leica. Also depends how the Panasonic video functions of course, there may be similar issues with manual lenses that other makers have.

Dan

Valeriu Campan December 9th, 2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 974952)

Probably the world's best lenses could be used for HD video

These lenses are great, but are an overkill for 720p, even 1080p, especially when one lens can cost 3 to 5 times more than the camera.

Josh Brusin December 15th, 2008 11:14 PM

You could use the good R Leitz lenses with an adapter on the 5d2 that's chipped to add the focus assist feature. beeps/ lights up when in focus.

Best part is that you have an excuse to get a Leica and shoot some film...

Graeme Sutherland December 18th, 2008 04:46 PM

I've got a few Leica M-lenses, and am looking into putting a video set-up together, so I've been following this for a couple of weeks.

I can't remember the exact figures, but going from a 35mm to a Micro Four Thirds sensor means doubling the focal length of the lens.

Leica have recently announced the Summilux-M f 1.4 lens in 21 and 24 mm lengths, so roughly equivalent to 40 and 50 mm lenses. I'm not so familiar with shooting video (here to learn), but I tend to use around a 50 mm focal length for most of my stills. So either of these could work as a general purpose lens on the Lumix.

Wide angle lenses would be more of a problem.

The widest M mount lens that I've seen is the Voigtlander 12mm, but this is pretty slow at f 5.6. It is, however, a lot cheaper than Leica glass.

Zeiss do a f 2.8 15 mm lens, but that's getting on for Leica money.

There are probably a whole bunch of interesting ex-Soviet lenses you could play with too.

From my perspective, the annoying thing is that the Lumix G HD isn't scheduled to arrive before the Spring, and I really want a camera in the New Year...

Josh Brusin December 19th, 2008 12:11 PM

leica makes a M mount to R which I would figure should work same.

The M series really only gets you the famous Noctilux lenses older R series Leitz lenses are the same Summilux 1.4s and sharp as ____.

Josh Brusin February 4th, 2009 04:31 PM

regarding the M lenses I would assume they would be very macro in their range, limited to close-up and short range... no infinity focus. google Leica M on EOS... there's info out there.

Dan Chung February 4th, 2009 07:44 PM

Josh,

We are talking about an adapter that puts M lenses on a future Micro 4/3rds Panasonic HD camera, not a 5dmkII. It should have perfect infinity focus but an high crop factor.

Dan

Zack Birlew February 10th, 2009 12:19 PM

I'd like to see how super low light lenses like the Noctilux lenses (f/1.0 and the new f/0.95)look using this method.

John Wyatt February 10th, 2009 06:18 PM

This weeks Amateur Photographer magazine (in the UK) had a review of this lens converter on the G1.

Yang Wen February 19th, 2009 03:56 PM

M lenses IMO is not very good for video usage. The friction on the focus ring on most lenses is too great to allow smooth focus pulls while filming without disturbing the camera. Plus the extra resolution you'd get from a good M-mount lens will not make a difference for 1080P video..

Liza Witz February 22nd, 2009 05:38 PM

Very interesting to see the responses to this idea.

For my purposes, one of the advantages of these M lenses is that they were made for rangefinder cameras... which means they are smaller and (I assume) lighter than 35mm lenses. Thus they fit the MFT formfactor much better than adapting a 35mm lens to it.

With the MFT to FT adapter you can then use any of the FT adapters to regular 35mm lenses.... making the G1 one of the most flexible cameras in this regard. Since the focal length is so short, there's plenty of room for the adapters.

I looked at keh.com for Leica lenses, and while they were "expensive" (to me) they seemed to not be nearly as expensive some of you seem to be talking about-- but then, I was looking at used lenses.

Good to know that the focus on these is not as easy to pull as on more modern designs.

As for resolution, I find it hard to believe that a superior lens won't benefit ones video. What are you comparing to? Regular 35mm lenses? In that case, the Leica's don't seem that much more expensive (used) and are much smaller.

For me, lighter lenses are a factor, meaning I can carry more of them for the same weight.... and while some 35mm lenses are cheap used, the price differences don't seem that dramatic. Am I missing something?

Paulo Teixeira February 27th, 2009 08:32 PM

It’s best for you to just use the lenses that are specifically made for the G 1/HD cameras up to around a month after the release and let others experiment with the different lenses until you hear what they have to say about them.

This post was actually supposed to go under here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photo-hd-...ml#post1019738