Here it is the new Panasonic GH1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Micro Four Thirds system camera with interchangeable lenses.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #31
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 457
Looks like a dud for my needs, as it would not allow for a pro- quality stills. Maybe in the future they will figure it out, but the lens thing kills it right in the starting block.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #32
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,771
A similar package with the Nikon D90 costs a little bit more than the $1,500 MSRP estimate and we all know that street prices are usually less although it wasn’t the case with the G1 but it still eventually went down by a lot after a couple of months.
Nikon | D90 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-200mm VR II Lens
The Nikon lens is lightly faster but it doesn’t have all the features of the lens that’s coming with the GH1. You could still wait for the f1.4/f1.7 lens or get an adapter like I mentioned earlier.
Never mind the fact the older G1 is already similar in quality in broad daylight and for all we know, the GH1 may be similar to the Nikon D90 in low light situations since the Live MOS is newer. Never mind the fact that the video modes of the GH1 should be significantly better.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #33
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 93
...also, 'full' progressive 50/60 (what i have been waiting for)
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #34
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: san miguel allende , gto , mexico
Posts: 644
Robert - what are "pro quality stills " ? That's changing every year. I'd wait until still samples are posted in a number of sites before I make that conclusion , unless it's based on build quality . I think, maybe Panasonic has made the camera to beat for anyone remotely interested in stills and motion , but we gotta see the images and video to make a call .
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #35
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
A similar package with the Nikon D90 costs a little bit more than the $1,500 MSRP estimate and we all know that street prices are usually less although it wasn’t the case with the G1 but it still eventually went down by a lot after a couple of months.
Nikon | D90 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-200mm VR II Lens
The Nikon lens is lightly faster but it doesn’t have all the features of the lens that’s coming with the GH1. You could still wait for the f1.4/f1.7 lens or get an adapter like I mentioned earlier.
Never mind the fact the older G1 is already similar in quality in broad daylight and for all we know, the GH1 may be similar to the Nikon D90 in low light situations since the Live MOS is newer. Never mind the fact that the video modes of the GH1 should be significantly better.
The VR lens is quite crap compared to high end lenses- you'll see it any time you blow up a pic for print. Most of the wide range zoom lenses are. If you look at the bag of any pro-photographer they mostly have something like 24mm, 28-70, 70-200, 50mm and maybe a fish eye. All of them are F2.8 or F1.8. Anyway- what cameras and lenses will give you pro- quality- just check here:Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected.
Most of the houses will have a list of camera bodies and lenses accepted. D90 is not on the lists and you'd have a really hard time selling images from D90. Even with decent lenses I would never offer to shoot a paid gig (like a wedding) with anything below D200.

Last edited by Robert Rogoz; March 5th, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #36
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman View Post
Robert - what are "pro quality stills " ? That's changing every year. I'd wait until still samples are posted in a number of sites before I make that conclusion , unless it's based on build quality . I think, maybe Panasonic has made the camera to beat for anyone remotely interested in stills and motion , but we gotta see the images and video to make a call .
Pro quality still is whatever houses like Getty Images or clients like Patagonia will buy. Even D90 is not on the list. Also a lens with F4.0 will never produce a decent picture you can make a larger print from. IMO this is more like a toy, most definitely it is not e serious still camera.

Last edited by Robert Rogoz; March 5th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #37
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: san miguel allende , gto , mexico
Posts: 644
....no but 30d and 40d and d300 are all on the list , all 12mps or less (the 30d is only 8mps), and I have no idea why you think you can't print large from F4.0 lenses . That's got nothing to do with it. If you want to be sharper you're going to be shooting with a smaller f-stop anyway . The F4.0 lens limitation affects the lowlight video performance a lot more , or maybe the brokeh qualities for portraits in stills . Use a longer lens .
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #38
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,771
Robert Rogoz,

My post wasn’t completely directed at you although the part about using adapters was. Besides, I mentioned the Nikon D90 as an example to prove that the GH1 isn’t that much when you compare it to similar offerings.


Would this lens be considered a toy?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_5_6L_IS.html
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #39
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: san miguel allende , gto , mexico
Posts: 644
Robert - it's widely known the d90 has the same image engine as the d300 - getty just can't keep up with all of the new cameras - the d90 will produce identical files as the d300 - only in the exif data could you tell the difference - getty will be basing more on content than what new dslr is used - we have now reached the practical plateau for still images - Olympus is even announcing this very point today

Olympus: 12 Megapixels is Enough - Dave's Download (usnews.com)
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #40
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman View Post
....no but 30d and 40d and d300 are all on the list , all 12mps or less (the 30d is only 8mps), and I have no idea why you think you can't print large from F4.0 lenses . That's got nothing to do with it. If you want to be sharper you're going to be shooting with a smaller f-stop anyway . The F4.0 lens limitation affects the lowlight video performance a lot more , or maybe the brokeh qualities for portraits in stills . Use a longer lens .
Kurth- Getty and other houses will not accept anything below D200. So D40, 60 and 70 are out. D2X, D2xs are on the list, so is D200, D300, D700 and D3.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #41
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
Let's say I have a nice set of Nikon lenses- what adapter would I have to use?
You can use your lenses right now-- just get the Panasonic micro-4/3 to 4/3 adapter, and then one of the 4/3 to Nikon adapters.

Essentially, this camera can use any lens ever made that has sufficient coverage and is in a reasonably popular mount. There are new monts coming from panasonic that go directly from mFT to Leica M and R, there are third party lenses that go to Laica M, Canon FD, C-mount, PL mount, etc. And there's F/T adapters that go to all the popular 35mm lens mounts (which you can use with the mFT to FT adapter.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
Also a lens with F4.0 will never produce a decent picture you can make a larger print from. IMO this is more like a toy, most definitely it is not e serious still camera.
First off, if you want a still camera, get the G1, and put whatever lens on it you want. The 14-140 is a lens for the prosumer video market, and the GH1's sole purpose for existence is video.

Still, its a pretty serious still camera and your discounting it for the kit lens is kinda silly-- you don't have a lens as capable on any other SLR type camera-- in terms of shooting video, that is, which is its intended purpose.

Get an M adapter, and buy all the Leica glass you want.
Liza Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #42
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,771
This hands-on preview includes photos from the preproduction GH1.
Panasonic Lumix GH1 Hands-On Review Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #43
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: U.K
Posts: 154
The best source for lenses that will work well with this camera is Four Thirds

There is a simulator that shows you how each lens will look on any given camera body, kind of like Thule have for checking out how a roof box will look on your car. Some of the four thirds lenses currently out will be compatible with this camera, but without the auto focus in video capture, the 14-140 is the first to do this. Most four thirds lenses will work, but with manual focus only, which for any serious film/video work is standard practice. You will need a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter though.

Some of the Olympus/Leica lenses in this format are really high performers and certainly professional grade.
Can't wait to see some real footage from this camera.

Adrian
Adrian Frearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #44
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
Robert Rogoz,

My post wasn’t completely directed at you although the part about using adapters was. Besides, I mentioned the Nikon D90 as an example to prove that the GH1 isn’t that much when you compare it to similar offerings.


Would this lens be considered a toy?
Canon | EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Autofocus Lens | 2746B002AA | B&H
I respectfully disagree Paulo. This Panasonic is 50/60p. This is now ready for production. 30p on the D90 is the worst of many options - i would have preferred interlaced rather than the 25/30p it offers.

Also the Panasonic has full manual controls and an audio input jack (for those that want to get an XLR adapter).

For me, I'm torn: wait for Nikon to release a camera similar and thus i can use all my Nikon lenses? or get this little beauty and shoot shoot shoot?

Last edited by Frank Vrionis; March 6th, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #45
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: san miguel allende , gto , mexico
Posts: 644
Frank , what's your source on the Olympus specs ?
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX G / GF / GH / GX Series

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network