Here it is the new Panasonic GH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Here it is the new Panasonic GH1

Panasonic DMC-GH1 brief hands-on: Digital Photography Review
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Provided the price isn't ridiculous this is my next camera.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Tourist

24p to 60i

"*Full-HD (1920 × 1080) movies are output by the image sensor at 24p (NTSC)/25p (PAL), and recorded at 60i (NTSC)/50i (PAL). HD (1280 × 720) movies are output and recorded by the image sensor at 60p (NTSC)/50p (PAL)."(from press release)
Sorry for the newbie question, but what exactly does this mean in terms of editing?
Bert Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Major Player

I might be wrong but it sounds like you will have to do the lame pulldown conversion to get 24P.
BTW , Hey Bert it's Lucasberg from Vimeo.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Major Player

from the Panasonic site

**Shooting conditions: 23°C with 50% humidity; LCD on; using a Panasonic SD Memory Card (512MB); Using the supplied battery; Using the supplied lens; Starting recording 30 seconds after the camera is turned on (When the optical image stabilizer is set to [Mode1]) ; Recording once every 30 seconds with full flash every second recording; Turn the camera off every 10 recordings.The number of recordable pictures decreases in Auto Power LCD mode or Power LCD mode.CIPA is an abbreviation of “Camera & Imaging Products Association”.

Does this mean it has the same sensor overheating issue as the d90 and 5d ?
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It still looks like it will be the DSLR to beat. AVCHD is a great recording format!
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Major Player

It is the DSLR to beat. Even though it has pulldown with the 24p the videos look nice (from what I've seen so far). 17Mbps AVCHD. The 60p is real 60p. The sensor is a little bigger than the D90. You have manual control of the shutter and aperture. I like this cam.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman View Post
from the Panasonic site

**Shooting conditions: 23°C with 50% humidity; LCD on; using a Panasonic SD Memory Card (512MB); Using the supplied battery; Using the supplied lens; Starting recording 30 seconds after the camera is turned on (When the optical image stabilizer is set to [Mode1]) ; Recording once every 30 seconds with full flash every second recording; Turn the camera off every 10 recordings.The number of recordable pictures decreases in Auto Power LCD mode or Power LCD mode.CIPA is an abbreviation of “Camera & Imaging Products Association”.

Does this mean it has the same sensor overheating issue as the d90 and 5d ?
Hands-on with the Lumix HD-enabled DMC-GH1 (Four Thirds User)
“Internally, the GH1 differs from the G1 in having an improved LiveMOS Four Thirds sensor. Panasonic has improved low light sensitivity to improve high ISO performance. Heat management of the sensor has been modified to enable continuous shooting, without interruption, for as long as the user needs.”
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
It is the DSLR to beat. Even though it has pulldown with the 24p the videos look nice (from what I've seen so far). 17Mbps AVCHD. The 60p is real 60p. The sensor is a little bigger than the D90. You have manual control of the shutter and aperture. I like this cam.
The 5D MkII is still king - but at a price. The FF35 sensor and 42mbps MPEG-4 codec are sweet. Hopefully, they will give us manual control (you can work around it), and 24/25p.

BTW, the D90 has a slightly larger sensor than the GH1. APS-C sensors are about 2/3rds that of a FF35 sensor. Micro 4/3rds is half the size of FF35.
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

I believe Panasonic is the only one releasing new DSLRs (and Olympus, I think) at PMA 2009. Nikon only intro'd a lens, same with Canon. I heard Sony wasn't as focused on their DSLRs.

heath
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The 5D MkII is still king - but at a price.
One key thing I have been thinking about though is how much I rely on flip LCDs. This panasonic has it, while the 5D and D90 do not. I'm still waiting for this game to play out. Between Red, Canon, and now Panasonic, this year is bleeding edge for purchasing. I've been preferring to rent. Now let's see some raw footage from the DMC-GH1! :)
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Shooting video on a DSLR seems like shooting stills on a pro video camera--adequate, but not ideal. I guess RED aims to solve that with their new systems.

heath
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #13
Major Player

Is it confirmed to shoot 1080p using the full sensor? If so, does it use the same row skipping technique used in the 5D?
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Does anyone know its price?
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #15
Trustee

What sort of shutter? Rolling or "normal?"

Def interesting... perhaps this will force Canon's hand a bit.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series