Still no definite date and $ on LUMIX GH1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
F4 lens is going to be simply inadequate to provide sharp image of still pictures.
Really? I still remember the Group f/64 that argued for using the smallest aperture possible Group f/64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza Witz View Post
Here's a link to a spreadsheet...
I've edited your post to replace the "tinyurl" link with the actual link. Don't post tinyurl links to this site. Just post the actual link.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murie View Post
Really? I still remember the Group f/64 that argued for using the smallest aperture possible Group f/64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
if you can show me a picture in a dark room, with a shallow DOF with F64 that would be great! of course if you shoot landscapes and you want to keep everything in focus you'll go to higher aperture. simple physics. but hardly any point, since pretty much every camera even with a small chip will do fine, right?
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler
So for audio this camera will require double system recording.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1022940-post9.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza Witz View Post
Wouldn't one of the beachtek external devices work? I believe they're working on one for the 5D, and bet that would work for this camera too.
My original post, Liza, was not about attaching something to the camera to get sound in. It was about attaching headphones to the camera so you could monitor what the camera was recording. Even if the camera has manual gain, without the ability to monitor, how do you adjust that gain?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
if you can show me a picture in a dark room, with a shallow DOF with F64 that would be great! of course if you shoot landscapes and you want to keep everything in focus you'll go to higher aperture. simple physics. but hardly any point, since pretty much every camera even with a small chip will do fine, right?
Your original criticism was about sharpness, not shallow DOF. That's what had me confused.
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murie View Post
Your original criticism was about sharpness, not shallow DOF. That's what had me confused.
These things go hand in hand. The reason these lenses go only to F4.0 is that there is a lot of distortion around the outside edges. By allowing the blades to open only to F4.0 they eliminate the issue. But the sacrifice is a low light performance and DOF.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
These things go hand in hand. The reason these lenses go only to F4.0 is that there is a lot of distortion around the outside edges. By allowing the blades to open only to F4.0 they eliminate the issue. But the sacrifice is a low light performance and DOF.
Very true. I own some cheap Sigma lenses from years and years ago. They had big apertures for the money, but really sacrifice performance at the corners. As I see it, they just opened the blades wider in order to get the desired spec.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich View Post
I have a feeling the camera's handling of video recording could trump that of the 5d Mk2.
Maybe... but a big part of the 5D appeal, at least for me, is it's low light performance. Even with the manual control, if the low light capabilities on this camera aren't there then I'd rather deal with the 5D's quirks. The one sample we've seen so far looks like it could compete, but it'll take more tests to know for sure - and faster lenses.
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
Maybe... but a big part of the 5D appeal, at least for me, is it's low light performance.
Another point of difference is that the 5D's FF sensor is greater DOF control. At the same field of view and aperture, the GH1's DOF is double that of the 5D. So, for example, using the stock lens at 25mm f4, the GH1 will yield the same effective field of view and aperture as a 50mm lens at f8 on the 5d. The greater range of fast primes available (particularly at the wide end) compounds the 5D's DOF control advantage, if super tight DOF is an effect you're after.

Having said that, the GH1 still affords much greater DOF control than even 2/3" video cameras, and if the codec holds up, I might look at selling my 5D for the vastly superior exposure control of the Panny.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #25
Major Player

Back to the initial subject of this thread...

With the 14-140mm, 1550 euro:
Presse - Neueste Meldungen - 130 / 2008 / März 2009 / Neues Micro Four Thirds-Superzoom-Wechselobjektiv - Deutschland

With 7-14mm, 1250 euro:
Presse - Neueste Meldungen - 129 / 2008 / März 2009 / Neues Micro Four Thirds-Wechselobjektiv - Deutschland

Release date: end of May.
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:06 AM   #26
Regular Crew

it's 1250 EUR for the 7-14 mm ONLY !!! That's steep for a prosumer lineup (although probably justified for such an extreme lens).

"Das LUMIX G VARIO 7-14 mm / F4.0 ASPH. wird ab Ende Mai für UVP 1.250 Euro im Handel erhältlich sein." (for those indulging in occasional German speaking)

Also, please remember our nasty 19% value added tax (or sales tax) included in the announced release price in both cases. Relation between announced and street prices is probably similar to the US.

thanks for this great find!!

Last edited by Thomas Richter; March 21st, 2009 at 08:58 AM.
Thomas Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #27
Regular Crew

According to this thread on dpreview, at a press event yesterday Panasonic revealed the Canadian MSRP will be $1899 and it will be available in May:

GH1 msrp announced [Page 1]: Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Joe Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #28
Major Player

B&H has a product page up and lists "Approx. Arrival June".

See here:

Panasonic | Lumix DMC-GH1 Digital Camera (Red) with 14-140mm
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Digital Camera (Red)
LOL. In the context of this forum I think this reads really absurd.

Am I allowed to insert "poor man's" after the "("
Thomas Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
LOL. In the context of this forum I think this reads really absurd.

Am I allowed to insert "poor man's" after the "("
Just so you know, I didn't type that in.
I would have said 'funny' rather than 'absurd', but it fits either way.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series