DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Still no definite date and $ on LUMIX GH1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/145012-still-no-definite-date-lumix-gh1.html)

Steve Mullen March 3rd, 2009 01:35 PM

Still no definite date and $ on LUMIX GH1

At PMA 09, Panasonic introduces new Micro Four Thirds camera, LUMIX GH1

At PMA 09, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Co., Secaucus, N.J., introduced the DMC-GH1, the newest member of the company's revolutionary LUMIX G Micro System -- a new digital interchangeable lens camera system that delivers professional-level features and performance in a compact and easy-to-use camera body. Compatible with the Micro Four Thirds System standard, the new LUMIX GH1 features advanced video photography functions, such as the ability to record High Definition (HD) AVCHD 1080p/24p video. In addition, the LUMIX GH1 comes with a newly developed long-zoom interchangeable lens -- the LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm/F4.0-5.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. This lens was specifically designed to support HD movie recording and features a silent motor and continuous auto focusing (AF) capability; two features which distinguish the LUMIX GH1 from DSLRs that offer HD video recording capabilities, says the company.

>>> The new LUMIX GH1 provides cutting-edge video recording features, including the ability to record high-resolution full HD (1920-by-1080) video at 24 fps or smooth HD video (1280 x 720) movie at 60 fps using an AVCHD format (MPEG-4/H.264). The AVCHD format provides the important benefit of doubling the HD quality recording time compared with Motion JPEG. The LUMIX GH1 hosts a dedicated video record button on the back of the camera which lets users start recording videos, even while shooting still photos. The LUMIX GH1 also records video in high-quality stereo sound via Dolby Digital Stereo Creator, the global standard of audio recording. An optional stereo microphone (DMW-MS1) is also available to achieve a more intensive sound recording experience. Finally, a convenient Wind Cut function is provided to help to block out distracting video background noise.

Full-HD (1920 × 1080) movies are output by the image sensor at 24p (NTSC)/25p (PAL), and recorded at 60i (NTSC)/50i (PAL). HD (1280 × 720) video is output and recorded by the image sensor at 60p (NTSC)/50p (PAL). <<<

Like the LUMIX G1, the LUMIX GH1 features the Live View Finder system. The brilliant 1,440,000-dot equivalent Live View Finder system can also display information settings that a user can see without removing their eyes from the subject. Furthermore, a built-in eye sensor automatically switches on the viewfinder when the user looks into it, then switches it off and turns on the swivel 3.0-inch large 460,000-dot high-resolution LCD when the user looks away from the viewfinder. The 60-frames-per-second Live View is made possible by the Live MOS sensor, which takes real-time signals directly from the image sensor and sends them continuously to the LCD. Both the Live View Finder and LCD provide a 100% field of view -- allowing the user to accurately frame and compose a shot from most any position.

The LUMIX GH1 kit lens -- the LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm/F4.0-5.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. -- provides a broad focal length range of 28-280mm (35mm camera equivalent) and supports continuous AF using the contrast AF system for both photo and movie capture. The low-noise lens design also seamlessly supports video recording by minimizing the mechanical sound generated by AF/AE actions.
At the core of the LUMIX GH1 lies a newly developed 12.1-megapixel high speed Live MOS sensor and Venus Engine HD, which features twin CPUs for outstanding processing capabilities. The Live MOS sensor is capable of high-speed readout over four channels to be compatible with full-HD movie recording. The Venus Engine HD is also energy efficient, supporting long periods of AVCHD video recording on a single battery charge.

>>> The DMC-GH1 also features the LUMIX Creative Movie mode which lets users manually set the shutter speed and aperture, making their videos more creative and representative of their own personal video style preference. <<<

The Contrast AF system adopted by the LUMIX GH1 lets users choose from the AF modes, including multiple-area AF with up to 23 focus areas, 1-area AF with a selectable focus area, Face Detection, and AF Tracking. To help keep the images free of spots from dust and particles, the Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system helps prevent foreign contaminants from adhering to the image sensor.

Pricing or a release date have not currently been announced.

Wacharapong Chiowanich March 3rd, 2009 08:23 PM

I have a feeling the camera's handling of video recording could trump that of the 5d Mk2. 5d Mk2 users have so far struggled monumentally to get their cameras to work decently as video cameras but this Panny cam looks to make life a lot easier with the camera body and new lenses that are optimized for video shooting as well as still. This could be my first useful video/still hybrid cam.

The lack of a headphone jack is a downside, however.

Wacharapong

Erik Andersen March 3rd, 2009 08:52 PM

Someone has one, and provided us with a poor man's VR:

Lumix GH1 on Vimeo

Julius Tan March 3rd, 2009 09:34 PM

Here's a preview of the GH1 Panasonic DMC-GH1 brief hands-on: Digital Photography Review

Liza Witz March 3rd, 2009 11:28 PM

At the event, apparently, multiple people heard the rep say that the camera would be out before summer and for under $1,500 (effectively $600 for the body and $900 for the 14-140 lens).

Robert Rogoz March 5th, 2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liza Witz (Post 1021902)
At the event, apparently, multiple people heard the rep say that the camera would be out before summer and for under $1,500 (effectively $600 for the body and $900 for the 14-140 lens).

900 bucks for a F 4- 5.6 lens is simply stupid. Nikon F2.8 go for that much. Any F4 lens IS NOT a professional lens- period, regardless of how quiet the motor is.

Steve Mullen March 5th, 2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liza Witz (Post 1021902)

That's the number I'm guesstimating. $1200 would be much better -- and that may be the street-price.

Chris Barcellos March 5th, 2009 03:46 PM

This will be an interesting camera. I just outfitted by my Canon 5D2 with adapters for my Nikon and Pentax lenses. From what I understand from difference in frame six, and adpater on my same lenses would create a telephoto effect of around 2x. Anyone know if the lens to focal plane would allow use of 35mm lenses ? Steve when you get one, lets meet in Bakersfield and shoot and compare ...:)

As a 5D2 owner, I love this camera just because it puts pressure on Canon to release firmware to allow adjustable shooting capabitlities.

Bill Koehler March 5th, 2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich (Post 1021813)
The lack of a headphone jack is a downside, however.

I would interpret the lack of a headphone jack to mean audio works in AGC only.
Without a headphone jack, how the heck do you set manual gain?

So for audio this camera will require double system recording.

Robert Rogoz March 5th, 2009 04:28 PM

I think this is a dud for me. I was hoping to avoid carrying video and still camera. However as far as stills it is far below professional level, regardless of how many megapixels the sensor has. F4 lens is going to be simply inadequate to provide sharp image of still pictures.

Chris Barcellos March 5th, 2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1022951)
F4 lens is going to be simply inadequate to provide sharp image of still pictures.

At least at the Canon 5d2 full frame 35mm size, I think for moving targets, even those sitting and moving somewhat in there seat, you lose focus on the individual unless you are constantly manually adjusting focus. Shooting at F4 to 5.6 at least in that format is probably more realistic in many if not most shooting situations. So realisitcally, you may not be losing much in terms of speed. However, at that same time, with the smaller chip size you will already have deepr depth of field that the 35mm full frame at F4, and your over all effective ISO should be lower.

Bill Koehler March 5th, 2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1022924)
Anyone know if the lens to focal plane would allow use of 35mm lenses ?

Should. One of the driving forces behind this camera and the Samsung NX is eliminating the mirror box and shortening the sensor to lens flange distance. That in turn allows scaling down the lenses designed specifically for these cameras, reducing cost.

Precisely because the sensor to camera lens mount distance has been reduced, it allows room between the camera lens mount and your 35mm lens for a lens adapter that maintains the original 35mm lens to sensor distance. I strongly suspect you will be controlling your 35mm lens manual only.

It didn't take these folks long.
Disclaimer: I know nothing about this business. But their product hammers home the point.

Adapters: Micro 4/3

Found another one...
http://www.imaginginsider.com/?p=83253

Liza Witz March 5th, 2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1022576)
900 bucks for a F 4- 5.6 lens is simply stupid. Nikon F2.8 go for that much. Any F4 lens IS NOT a professional lens- period, regardless of how quiet the motor is.

Nikon has a 10x super zoom with optical image stabilization that's f2.8? Could you point me to it or give me the model name?

I'm familiar with the 18-200 VR, but its f3.5 A bit better, but not that much.

I'd love to find a 14-140 (28-280mm equivilent) that's really fast. I'd pay really good money for one. Even though I'd be giving up AT (and probably OIS)

Since this camera, with an adapter, can shoot with just about any lens ever made and all the major 35mm lenses, please, Robert, recommend such a lens.

If none exists, then your criticism isn't really relevant-- a superzoom involves tradeoffs. Its what consumers want, but there's nothing stopping anyone else from putting other lenses on this.

Liza Witz March 5th, 2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1022940)
So for audio this camera will require double system recording.

Wouldn't one of the beachtek external devices work? I believe they're working on one for the 5D, and bet that would work for this camera too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1022971)
Precisely because the sensor to camera lens mount distance has been reduced, it allows room between the camera lens mount and your 35mm lens for a lens adapter that maintains the original 35mm lens to sensor distance.

The only lens system I've heard of that's popular and can't be adapted is the canon EF. Everything else seems to have an adapter already or on the way... I can't keep track of them. People are even mounting c-mount security camera lenses (which are very fast and wide) on them, and oddball russian lenses.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet keeping track of all the adapters for this camera:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dx428wg_10fdvsmtd7

Kristin Stewart March 6th, 2009 11:34 AM

Panasonic Germany scheduled the release for june 2009 :

Panasonic - ideas for life - Lumix Digitalkameras - G Micro Systems - DMC-GH1K - Übersicht