DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH-1 Bundle Ideas?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/237198-gh-1-bundle-ideas.html)

Andy Shipsides June 11th, 2009 05:52 PM

GH-1 Bundle Ideas??

Hey guys,

So AbelCineTech is getting into selling video accessories for the GH-1 and I'd like to get your feedback. I'd like to make bundles that lower the price overall for you guys, something similar to what we did with the Red User Group. I'm talking bundles aimed at the DSLR filmmaker - Tripods, Camera Support, Mattebox/FF, audio gear, etc. It worked out really well with the Red users because we were able to rally special deals from manufacturers. DVinfo users can do the same thing. We just need to know what you are after. I'm a DSLR owner myself, so I have an idea, but I'd like to see what you guys think. Any ideas?

Miller / Manfrotto Systems - The Miller DV Compass system is pretty awesome.
Chrosziel / Zacuto / Arri Matteboxes and Support systems?
Z-Finder, HoodLoupe?
Monitors?
Audio Gear?
Bags?

Any ideas would be great. I can't promise anything at this point, but the bigger the response the better the package.

Andy

Ken Ross June 11th, 2009 06:55 PM

Andy, are you guys selling the GH1 itself? If so, do you have an inkling of an arrival date?

Andy Shipsides June 11th, 2009 06:59 PM

We are going to be selling them. I'll let you know when we get them in.

Andy

Andrew Reyna June 12th, 2009 12:56 AM

Andy,

bundle the GH-1 with:

- DSLR backpack
- Batteries
- Beachtek-like XLR audio adapter
- Nikon F-mount & Canon FD adapters

I believe that the bulk of people buying the GH1 that would be targeted from this forum would want all of those accessories built into a single kit.

Paulo Teixeira June 12th, 2009 08:14 AM

You might as well take off the monitor from that list since you cant use it on this camera.

You can add the official GH1 microphone and although it might not come out until September, the 20mm f1.7 lens is another good addition.

Robert Fierce June 13th, 2009 11:31 AM

I've heard the Panasonic mic isn't that great. For around the same price (about $125) the Rode Videomic is probably the better buy. RØDE Microphones - VideoMic

Paulo Teixeira June 13th, 2009 06:16 PM

So where are you hearing that the Panasonic version isn’t that great compared to a similarly priced Rode especially when on a GH1?

Robert Fierce June 14th, 2009 11:41 AM

Probably a poor choice in words. They're actually two different mics. The Panasonic mic is stereo while the Rode is a directional single channel mic. The nature photographer I talked to naturally liked the Rode better because it had a better reach, but if you want to record in stereo the Rode is obviously not the mic you want to use. However, when it rates 4.5 stars from 29 reviewers on Amazon, you know the Rode Videomic should definitely be considered when putting together a package.

Rich Wells July 24th, 2009 11:03 PM

Audio adapter?

Would it be possible to put a Beachtek type audio adapter on the GH-1?

Barry Green July 26th, 2009 02:23 PM

Yes, we used one that was marketed for the Canon 5D Mark II. You have to pull out a couple of locator pins, but other than that it works.

With that said, I'd much rather use the Zoom H4N instead of a Beachtek. The Zoom is a standalone 4-channel recorder, you can use it for double-system sound but you could also just pipe the headphone output from the Zoom into the GH1; use the GH1's audio for a scratch track and import the Zoom's audio in your final project.

The Zoom has two built-in mics that aren't half bad, and two combo 1/4"-XLR ports that can take either input. I'm not saying it's the greatest recorder in the world, but it did very well for the price point, and sometimes it's just so convenient to mount a planted mic at the scene rather than running XLR cables all over the place, etc.

Another big factor for the Zoom over a Beachtek is that the GH1 doesn't have a headphone jack! You can't monitor your audio on playback (other than via the camera's speaker). Whereas with the Zoom you could hear exactly what your audio sounded like.

We used both (for 4-channel recording, 2 lavs into the Beachtek into the GH1, and a lav & boom into the Zoom) and since they cost about the same, I'd vote for the Zoom over the Beachtek if I could only buy one.

D.R. Gates July 26th, 2009 05:33 PM

Bundles are lame.

People just want to buy the camera at a reasonable price from a reputable dealer and get their own accessories.

Bundles are mostly associated with sketchy dealers who throw in a bunch of cheap Chinese made crap and call it a "pro package". Then they hit you with inflated shippings fees to mail all that junk to you.