DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Panasonic updates GH1, G1 & 14-140mm HD firmware (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/237758-panasonic-updates-gh1-g1-14-140mm-hd-firmware.html)

Frank Vrionis June 22nd, 2009 02:07 AM

Panasonic updates GH1, G1 & 14-140mm HD firmware

Panasonic updates GH1, G1 & 14-140mm HD firmware: Digital Photography Review

Paulo Teixeira June 22nd, 2009 06:24 AM

Supply problems is an obviously good theory on why your only hearing about a few people receiving a U.S. model GH1 but these firmware updates are another good theory.

Paul Nixon June 24th, 2009 11:08 AM

Shoot - a lot of people were hoping for a different kind of firmware update. Oh well...still hoping.

Ken Ross June 25th, 2009 09:05 PM

Paul, what kind of features were you hoping for in the firmware update? I applied it to my GH1 and I can't say I see a difference. But if you were expecting a significant upgrade to the 1080p mode, I don't think it will happen.

Hanno di Rosa June 26th, 2009 09:33 PM

I doubt the FW update is anything else but a ploy to up sales for batteries.

it makes third party batteries disfunctional, forcing us to buy overpriced "original" batteries for 99€ a pop when "unauthorized" copies sell for 17€...

Ken Ross June 27th, 2009 06:21 AM

You could be right, but I always stick to OEM batteries to be safe anyway. To me it's just not worth trying to save a few dollars.

Xavier Plagaro June 27th, 2009 12:20 PM

Hi Hanno, can you tell me where do you buy OEM batteries in Italy??

Hanno di Rosa June 27th, 2009 01:33 PM

I bought mine on ebay germany for 17€ quite a " few" $ from the 99€ for the "original"
and yes the 1/2 shutter speed and the improved OIS may be the caveat, still I hate these battery "policies"

I wonder why these were not applied to the DVX100 or HVX201 or all the other models?

Paul Nixon June 28th, 2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 1163638)
Paul, what kind of features were you hoping for in the firmware update? I applied it to my GH1 and I can't say I see a difference. But if you were expecting a significant upgrade to the 1080p mode, I don't think it will happen.

There has been a lot of comment on the weakness of the codec and the lack of bandwidth used by it resulting in really mushy backgrounds in motion shots. Some suspected the issue can be corrected by a firmware update, and that's what I was hoping for.

Ken Ross June 28th, 2009 04:52 PM

I guess for me the deal breaker is the stutter in 1080p and not so much the detail. Some shots I've taken have amazing detail in 1080, but I can't get past the stutter.

Paul Nixon June 29th, 2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 1164573)
I guess for me the deal breaker is the stutter in 1080p and not so much the detail. Some shots I've taken have amazing detail in 1080, but I can't get past the stutter.

Stutter? What stutter? (I'm asking seriously because stutter is going to be a deal-breaker for me, too). Please explain.

Ken Ross June 29th, 2009 02:04 PM

Paul, generally any cam that shoots in 24p is going to be prone to motion stuttering. By this I mean that if your video includes, for example, a car passing through the scene, the car will not move smoothly, but rather stutter somewhat as it passes. I've seen the same effect on any Canon videocamera I've ever owned and it's for this reason I never use 24p.

On the other hand, the 720p, with its 60i framerate, is buttery smooth. The 720p still looks great, but naturally the 1080 shows more detail.

Paul Nixon June 29th, 2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 1164918)
Paul, generally any cam that shoots in 24p is going to be prone to motion stuttering. By this I mean that if your video includes, for example, a car passing through the scene, the car will not move smoothly, but rather stutter somewhat as it passes. I've seen the same effect on any Canon videocamera I've ever owned and it's for this reason I never use 24p.

On the other hand, the 720p, with its 60i framerate, is buttery smooth. The 720p still looks great, but naturally the 1080 shows more detail.

Whew - okay, thanks. I understand. I asked because I specifically am looking to shoot 24p, so if that's the only stutter, that's okay.

I was concerned that the 24p was somehow technically 24p but internally sometimes paused or something. That would be a disaster.

I've got a Canon HV30 and the 24p mode seems to work quite well but thus far is a PITA to capture correctly, for me. I'm expecting the Panasonic to be no different, so I'm trying to prepare myself for the worse. What's got me excited is the autofocus and DOF. What's got me hesitant is the codec - I'm concerned that even I will notice the background artifacting.

Thanks for the clarification. I still don't know if the scale has been tipped or not, so I'm following the threads closely.

Richard Hunter July 5th, 2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 1164918)
On the other hand, the 720p, with its 60i framerate, is buttery smooth.

Hi Ken. Mind explaining what you mean by that? How can it be p and i at the same time?

Richard

Ken Ross July 5th, 2009 10:29 AM

Richard, what I should have said was '1280X720 @60p'. The 1920X1080 recording mode is actually 60i, but the sensor is outputting at a framerate of 24p, and thus the stuttering motion.

However, the detail at the 1920X1080 mode is truly amazing. I've got a Sony 3-chip Sony Z5 camcorder, and the detail from the Panasonic at 1920 is better than the Sony. Of course the lens plays a huge role, but also the exposure latitude on this camera is better than any camcorder I've ever used. When you see video with this kind of dynamic range, it's truly eye-popping. But the stutter makes it a major issue for me, but not for many others.

On the other hand, the detail at 1280X720, together with the dynamic range, makes for video that rivals many more expensive dedicated camcorders in my opinion. What makes the camera a bit awkward as a camcorder, is the very tough task of producing a smooth zoom. There are workarounds, but you do have to change your 'style' a bit. But it's really a blast to use.