Does a digital zoom available on movie mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 1st, 2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does a digital zoom available on movie mode?

Can anybody explain digital zoom on the movie mode ?
This is very important to me to decide whether to buy the camera or not!

On picture mode a digital zoom is probably a crop and then a resize of the processed (or maybe the pre-processed picture) , so instead of getting a 12M picture you get 6M or 3M resized.

But what about applying digital zoom on the motion picture mode ?

Remember that (read the specs) there are 10.5M pixels available for the 16:9 video,
to output about 1M pixels of video at 720p.

Does it mean...
1. Using only the center part of the sensor, like 5.25M pixels available...
2. Cropping each frame before processing ,still 5.25M pixels available.
3. Cropping the processed matterial. (doesn't make sense , because will require alot off proccesing power).

Or somthing else ?
Sassi Haham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassi Haham View Post
Can anybody explain digital zoom on the movie mode ?
This is very important to me to decide whether to buy the camera or not!

On picture mode a digital zoom is probably a crop and then a resize of the processed (or maybe the pre-processed picture) , so instead of getting a 12M picture you get 6M or 3M resized.

But what about applying digital zoom on the motion picture mode ?

Remember that (read the specs) there are 10.5M pixels available for the 16:9 video,
to output about 1M pixels of video at 720p.

Does it mean...
1. Using only the center part of the sensor, like 5.25M pixels available...
2. Cropping each frame before processing ,still 5.25M pixels available.
3. Cropping the processed matterial. (doesn't make sense , because will require alot off proccesing power).

Or somthing else ?
I would have thought the camera would "bin" the pixels, so your 12MP (or 10.5MP) still image sensor becomes a 2.1MP sensor by combining pixels thus effectively creating larger pixels.

No?
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Major Player

As far as I know, "digital zoom" isn't zoom at all - it's just cropping the picture and stretching it.

As far as I can tell, you can't record in 720p for example and digital zoom by using more of the sensor - I think that the 720p mode uses the entire sensor but take larger averages when trying to decide what color to make a particular picture.

If you want that kind of effect, it's possible simply to record at 1080p, then in post, render to 720p, and create the crop then.
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Nixon View Post
I would have thought the camera would "bin" the pixels, so your 12MP (or 10.5MP) still image sensor becomes a 2.1MP sensor by combining pixels thus effectively creating larger pixels.

No?
Very good question. I think this is near to impossible to answer without a direct statement from the manufacturer. The 5D II as a real issue with aliasing and that seems to be based on discarding pixels rather than "bining" them.

I have seen a bit of that aliasing in the GH1 footage as well, but it could also be the lousy codec or post processing.

Btw: is digital zoom available in movies? I found some indication in the specs ages ago but noone actually confirmed.
Thomas Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Nixon View Post

No?
No. Binning only works in monochrome, or a three-chip system. You can't do binning on a Bayer pattern sensor.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Btw: is digital zoom available in movies? I found some indication in the specs ages ago but noone actually confirmed.
Yes 2x and 4x digital zoom is available in movie recording. They both result in significant losses of resolution and are therefore of questionable value.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series