Waited 6wks for GH1. Canceled order. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Waited 6wks for GH1. Canceled order.

Thanks for everyone's help with recommending FD lenses and the like, but I finally got fed up. It's been more than 6 weeks since my original order, with the $1800 out of pocket.

I decided to spend $1100 on the Canon Rebel T1i and a nifty 50 for right now - I'll be okay shooting in 720p30 with 15 minute (4GB) limits.

I just couldn't wait any longer, there are a few events coming up. I'll probably still get the GH1 in about 6 months, or maybe something even better will come out before then.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Just ordered mine from B&H today.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Brian, might as well cancel that one too and wait 1 month to get the D7, this camera will be THE DSLR to get.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Brian, might as well cancel that one too and wait 1 month to get the D7, this camera will be THE DSLR to get.
I'll likely sell the T1i to pay for the D7 IF the D7 fixes the annoyances of the 5Dm2.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Contributor

Brian, this Canon will do a better job for you in still photography, since it has an APC-size chip versus the micro 4/3 of the Lumix. You're limited to 720x1280 for video, at 30p. I don't know what anybody would do with the 20 fps video it also shoots. I don't know what this camera does in terms of controls when shooting video. I would be very skeptical, since even the 5D MKII is not wonderful for video--in terms of shooting...it is wonderful in terms of image quality, but image quality is only a part of the equation. If you are in the market for a video camera, you might do as the above post suggests and wait. The 7D may or may not be out soon and it may or may not do what you want. If you have an immediate job coming up where you need a new camera, what I'd do is consider a video camera rather than a hybrid, unless you do a lot of still photography too.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
the D7
You mean 7D. Canon EOS 7D.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos-7d-hd/

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Chris, yeah sorry, my brain is fry with excitement, I was waiting for a DSLR that would fit my needs, GH1 didn't do it, 5DM2 didn't do it either, now this one will do except it didn't have articulated screen but I will get it anyway if all of the spec are true, heh heh.
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

We'll know soon enough... expecting to receive the Canon Inc. or Canon USA press release within the next twelve to eighteen hours or so.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:05 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you have an immediate job coming up where you need a new camera, what I'd do is consider a video camera rather than a hybrid, unless you do a lot of still photography too.
Indeed.

The thing is that I did have an immediate job coming up, but I already have two video cameras that I like. There are two reasons I bought the T1i - first, as I said, I had an immediate need, which the T1i's 720p30 mode could fulfill.

Second, I already have an HG20 in my personal stock, and the HG10 for work; both do fine, and especially with the HG20, I'm not sure that upgrading to something in a prosumer video line would justify the cost. The images, I don't think, would look significantly different, nor would it be easier to use, nor would the sound quality be noticably better because I shoot dual-system with a juicedlink anyway.

Third and most importantly: Shooting video with a DSLR is an entirely different type of shooting for someone used to a very forgiving long DoF on small-sensor cameras. I mean this - it's punishingly unforgiving. Additionally, a DSLR also takes photos as well, and from a personal standpoint, it's a great opportunity to learn, and I felt that I had reached a personal plateau with video. Shooting still pictures follows different rules - rules that video often breaks - and learning one discipline will hopefully give me insight into why the other discipline works the way it does.
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Major Player

I too am interested in the 7D.

I need another camera which will be an on-tripod fixed camera at events & weddings. The 7D may bridge the gap to semi-live event type shooting that the G1 & 5DII are not yet ready for. I hate to spend another $3,500+ on what will mostly be a tripod camera (although matching cameras are nice).

I an already heavily invested in Canon DSLR glass, so thats not a problem.

As long as I can set up the 7D with my 17-40L on a wide shot at F8 (for good DOF) in moderate/indoor light, it's a deal.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM   #11
Major Player

Well I was about ready to buy a GH1, but couldn't because of supply problems. Looks like I'll wait to see what happens with the 7D. Way to go Panasonic!

There are things I like about the GH1 - articulated screen, compact size, lens designed for video. But my hesitation is poor low-light capabilities, and bad compression artifacts. It looks like the 7D addresses those weaknesses. Ultimately I want something that can be used professionally. At this point it seems that the 7D can and the GH1 can't.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Trustee

Showed up about an hour ago, small camera!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series