GH-1 Shipping Yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GH-1 Shipping Yet?

It's September...she types hopefully... B&H, Amazon, usual suspects still seem backordered. Anyone know anything about when these cameras might start shipping with regularity? I'm planning a trip to Egypt, leaving in a couple of weeks. I'd sure like this to be my backup camera. Of course, I'd also like to play with it before I throw it into the bag. But I feel thwarted by the lack of information. Any helpful input welcomed!

Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Trustee

I got mine from B&H the other day.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Really?? Which day? They still had backordered when I checked last night. I'm on a list to be alerted when they get it in stock, and I haven't received anything.

You're the lucky duck, eh?

Lisa
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Major Player

I got mine sometime last week. I just kept checking a few sites everyday hoping to get lucky. Crutchfield had them in stock... when I checked an hour or so later they were out of stock again.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Trustee

I think it was the 2nd when it showed up, after two day shipping.
Old September 6th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Trustee

At this stage its best to check the sites atleast twice a day because it definitely wont take long to be sold out very quickly.

You should also call up local authorized retailers and tell them to contact you right away if they get any in stock. I luckily got mine on the same day that I called.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
It might have been a return. So I doubt they ever had any significant numbers of them.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Major Player

If I remember correctly, Panasonic announced that production would be 5000 GH1's per month. That's total, for world wide distribution. Given the uniqueness of its feature set, particularly the total control during shooting (shutter, aperture, focus - manual & auto, clip length is until the flash card is full), it's hardly surprising demand is high and the waiting line long.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Major Player

GH-1 availability

I found one at onecall.com. Has a $200 premium though.

I kept trying BH and others, but kept coming up dry. Hate to go elsewhere, as BH has always done right by me. But a deadline is a deadline. BTW, Onecall also charges restock fee... considering it's a sight unseen purchase, seems a little unreasonable.

I did get some other accessories and a B&W Kasemann polarizer from BH though -- I love this piece of glass and highly recommend it. May also appreciate they have available for order Novoflex M4/3 to Nikon F adapter.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
It might have been a return. So I doubt they ever had any significant numbers of them.
Not a return, you just have to keep checking.
You might also add the words "in stock" to your google searches to get a listing of stores that have them in stock. Then select from the reputable dealers.

Good Luck!
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Good idea on the search terms. It's funny; this isn't a collector's item, it's a tool. I wonder about their marketing and distribution strategy.

~ ~ Lisa
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Major Player

I think it has nothing to do with marketing & distribution.

I do think it is all about estimating demand for what is in the consumer space an expensive camera in tough economic times and limiting production so one isn't stuck with a lot of stock sitting on a shelf. By now they know different, but ramping up volume production takes a lot longer than just making a few phone calls.

Last edited by Bill Koehler; September 10th, 2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #13
Regular Crew

An unfortunate miscalculation. The wait has many people bailing or buying an alternative. I think I'm going to have to bail, at least for this upcoming project. Who knows what new useful tools will be available when I'm in new/upgrade mode next.

~ ~ L
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #14
Trustee

It’s almost no different than what Panasonic did to the LX3. That camera got released a year ago and it’s still hard to find at authorized dealers. They constantly get sold out every time a new shipment gets in. Even the G1 especially the black one can sometimes be hard to find at authorized dealers.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Strong-Aufhauser View Post
An unfortunate miscalculation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
...They constantly get sold out every time a new shipment gets in...
Unfortunate? Maybe, maybe not from the manufacturer's point of view. Limited production helps support their pricing and ensures they, and their dealers, make money on every unit sold.

Japanese car manufacturer's are well known for following the exact same strategy of not saturating the market with product, which supports their pricing, and thereby supporting their dealers. Last time I checked Toyota, Honda, and Nissan were doing relatively well. By comparison GM, which has pushed a strategy of volume, volume, volume, cheap, cheap, cheap for decades, has done less well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Strong-Aufhauser View Post
...Who knows what new useful tools will be available when I'm in new/upgrade mode next.
And that's always true, regardless of current model availability. The new useful tools might even be from Panasonic! I personally am very interested in what the GH2, or whatever it ends up being called, looks like. Or if a u4/3rds lens+sensor video camera emerges.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series