GH1 + Kit Lens (14mm-140mm) MUCH faster AF than Pancake Lens (20mm) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GH1 + Kit Lens (14mm-140mm) MUCH faster AF than Pancake Lens (20mm)

I've been testing the Kit Lens and the Pancake Lens with my GH1, and I've noticed the Kit Lens (14mm - 140mm) is MUCH MUCH faster doing AF than the Pancake Lens (20mm), I would say easily double faster. Have you noticed the same or it's just me ?, thanks
Bernard Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Trustee

That's been known to almost everybody. I have both lenses as well.

If your outdoors and it's bright, a suggestion to get the lens to focus better is to have a slower f stop.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry for the basic question, when you say slower f stop that means a bigger one, right ?, f/3.5 versus f/1.7 (faster one), that's because the DOF will be bigger with smaller apertures ?, thanks
Bernard Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Trustee

I was actually talking about video by the way and yeh something like f/3.5 would be better than f/1.7. It's just that you'll have more in focus that way. In photography it all depends. For example with something like f/1.7 you'd be able to get a higher shutter speed to catch the moment quicker but at the same time less is in focus. It all depends on how blur you want the background to be.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; November 22nd, 2009 at 02:45 AM.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series