Still/Video LCD Behavior at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Still/Video LCD Behavior

And while I'm here - though it doesn't look like this forum has gotten any attention in some time...

I got this camera with the idea it would be a good convergence device. I do stills and video - multimedia storytelling. I may have to switch between modes quickly, so I had hoped the two on the same camera would have the same "workflow." However, this doesn't seem to be the case. When I am in video mode (manual), the LCD is live, representing what I am actually shooting. If I'm over/under exposed, that shows up. In still mode (manual), this is not the case. The LCD auto exposes. I must figure my exposure by the little meter notches in the bottom of the screen - kinda old fashioned! I can only see my result when in review. I would like to have a live LCD read out for stills. Is this possible? Is it a setting in the menu I am missing? If this is not possible, it should be. My work around is flicking the dial into video mode to get a visual on my still exposure before shooting, but if I am taking a long exposure (fairly common), I have to start ditzing with shutter speed on the video side, remember to set it back to 1/60 or ... it's the same camera; seems like it should just work the same in both modes.

Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The "Auto exposure" behavior of the LCD in still mode is necessary because Autofocus needs to have the aperture wide open to work. This is why autofocus doesn't work as well in movie mode. Anyway, if you press the "trash icon" button followed by the Display button when in still mode, you will get a proper preview of aperture and shutter speed. I find it easier to just toggle the wheel to movie mode, but the above workflow should help you when doing long exposures.
Todd Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Todd,
I'll give that a try. I am strangely spoiled by the lower end Canon Powershots that have live still LCDs. I thought that by getting a 4/3, w/o a SLR prism, mirror and all, I would get a live LCD. I want a convergence camera like that!

~ ~ L
Lisa Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series