DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Another Micro 4/3 Questions about lens choices (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/476061-another-micro-4-3-questions-about-lens-choices.html)

Josh Hayes April 1st, 2010 10:43 PM

Another Micro 4/3 Questions about lens choices

As I've mentioned before I'm basically slowly learning cinematography now that I have an HDSLR (GH1) and dealing with multiple lens choices and such, so forgive my questions if they are a little basic.

I was looking to rent a Canon EF 70-200 F.2.8 mm today to start shooting on telephoto zoom lens and get a feel for it. That's when I realized that I needed another adapter than the Canon one I already have (Canon FD 85 MM 1.8). No biggie, put the plans on hold, order one for $85 and test again in a week. However when I was looking at the lens I noticed that it doesn't have mechanical aperture controls on it. Which if I understand it means I wouldn't be able to change the aperture (it would most likely be open the whole time). This greatly diminishes it's use if I'm locked into one exposure. So here come the questions:

1. Are the Nikon family of zoom lenses a better choice (other than the G series apparently)? I hear that they all have the mechanical aperture settings on the lens?

2. Is there a cheat for the GH1 like I hear people using on the 5D Mark II where they unclick the lens to disconnect the sensor after choosing an F-stop?

3. I really am just looking to rent some common good lenses to practice my photography on that have aperture controls and such like my little 85mm lens. I'm looking to rent the whole range from super wide to very telephoto and learn the abc's of photography. Is the best option buy multiple adapter rings and keep choosing specific lenses with aperture control or is it easier than that?

*I'm aware that there are multiple prime options, but I'm hoping to concentrate on zoom lenses at the moment.

Perrone Ford April 1st, 2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Hayes (Post 1508778)
However when I was looking at the lens I noticed that it doesn't have mechanical aperture controls on it. Which if I understand it means I wouldn't be able to change the aperture (it would most likely be open the whole time). This greatly diminishes it's use if I'm locked into one exposure. So here come the questions:

Actually, I believe it's closed down the entire time, not wide open.

Quote:

1. Are the Nikon family of zoom lenses a better choice (other than the G series apparently)? I hear that they all have the mechanical aperture settings on the lens?

This is why they are such a popular choice among DSLR shooters. Even the with Canon body shooters.

Quote:

2. Is there a cheat for the GH1 like I hear people using on the 5D Mark II where they unclick the lens to disconnect the sensor after choosing an F-stop?

No idea.

Quote:

3. I really am just looking to rent some common good lenses to practice my photography on that have aperture controls and such like my little 85mm lens. I'm looking to rent the whole range from super wide to very telephoto and learn the abc's of photography. Is the best option buy multiple adapter rings and keep choosing specific lenses with aperture control or is it easier than that?

I'd just stick with Nikon, but then I'm partial to them. Their F-Mount hasn't really changed since it was introduced in the 50s. I can mount my 1972 300mm lens right onto my new AF Nikon body and happily shoot away. And I can put an adapter on the back of it, and attach it to a 7D or 5D just as easily.

Quote:

*I'm aware that there are multiple prime options, but I'm hoping to concentrate on zoom lenses at the moment.

Ok, stay with constant aperture zooms (F2.8) and you should do just fine. But I wouldn't keep buying a bunch of expensive adapters.

Josh Hayes April 2nd, 2010 01:30 PM

re:

Awesome. Thanks for the clarifications Perrone. All helpful.

John Wiley April 7th, 2010 10:15 AM

You can get an adaptor for the newer nikon G lenses that will allow you to change the aperture. I don't think anything similar is avilable to work with canon lenses.

The unclicking trick won't work with canon lenses because you won't be able to adjust the iris through the camera in the first place. As Perrone said, the iris is most likely always closed, and nothing the camera or an adaptor does will make the camera do otherwise.

If you wan't canon lenses, you'll need to go FD, although the EOS to micro 4/3rds adaptors will work with some Sigma and Tamron lenses which do have an iris ring.