DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Some recent work. (Hot Rod PL, Anamorphics) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/476274-some-recent-work-hot-rod-pl-anamorphics.html)

Ryan Glover April 5th, 2010 05:06 PM

Some recent work. (Hot Rod PL, Anamorphics)

Hey everyone. I've been using my GH1 with the Hot Rod PL and a set of old LOMO anamorphic lenses to get a distinct look and I'm very happy with the results, so I thought I'd share some recent work with you guys:

a short narrative piece:

a test with the 35mm and 80mm:

Thanks for watching!

Feel free to leave any comments or ask any questions.

Jay Bratcher April 8th, 2010 09:42 AM

Nicely done, and what a fantastic look - nothing is quite as distinctive as an anamorphic :)

Ryan Glover April 29th, 2010 01:33 PM

Thanks Jay! I agree, love the anamorphic look.

Christopher Ruffell May 4th, 2010 07:54 PM

As I've said before, gorgeous stuff Ryan. Apologies for the rather quiet DVInfo community.. they all love it too, I promise ;)

Ryan Glover May 6th, 2010 09:42 AM

Haha, thanks Christopher! Yes, it's a little quiet in here. But that's okay. And I'll always be around if anyone has any questions about the PL gear or my anamorphic DSLR exploits.

Here's my latest little test;

We were shooting some RED the other weekend and I ran off on our lunch break with the lenses and mounted them to my GH1 with my Hot Rod PL kit:

My blog has a photo of how silly these enormous/beautiful lenses look on the GH1.

Thanks for watching everybody.

Mark Deere May 6th, 2010 06:13 PM

Hey Ryan, how did you find the hotrod handheld system? Would you rather work with this over a Zacuto setup for handheld work? (Primarily I'm curious about the lack of an additional point of contact- shoulder mount/gunstock, and whether it affects your ability to do quality handheld work for extended periods).

Mark Deere May 6th, 2010 06:14 PM

Oh, and I very much admire your work with the anamporphics above ;D

Ryan Glover May 7th, 2010 07:44 AM

Hey Mark, Thanks for the kind words.
I've been very satisfied with hand-holding the Hot Rod kit. When I use it with my anamorphics (up to 7lbs per lens) it adds a lot of weight so its much much better then trying to hand-hold the GH1 by itself. Also, you can flip the handgrips upside down and use the EVF so then you have a third point of contact. I havn't used any of the zacuto rigs yet but I think I would tend to perfer my smaller Hot Rod kit mostly because I never have permission to be shooting, so keeping a lower profile is key.. not sure I'd be comfortable walking around a public park or a transit station with a rig resembling a rifle in this day and age. But in reality the bigger kits with more contact points probably would yield a steadier image.. you just have to weigh them against keeping a low profile in public. Hope this was somewhat helpful!

Mark Deere May 7th, 2010 08:33 PM

Perfect! Thanks for the response Ryan. Really helps to hear from someone actually using the gear. I was leaning towards it anyway, so seeing your handheld work and your suggestion to flip the handles and use the EVF, solves the only reservation I still had about going with the hotrod. Thanks man!

Ryan Glover May 25th, 2010 07:13 AM

No problem Mark, that's what these forums are for! Hope it ends up working out for you.

..Also, here's another short piece that I finished lately, if anyones interested:

Specs:
GH1 with Hot Rod PL deluxe and Lomo anamorphics 35mm, 50mm, 80mm.
The sound was recorded with the Zoom H4n and a Sennheiser 416 mic.

Thanks!

Ryan Glover June 24th, 2010 03:14 PM

New firmware!!

first quick test with the new firmware hack. can't believe how well the deep focus fast pan holds up!!

more new work with updated firmware to come!

Mark Deere June 28th, 2010 04:32 AM

Gorgeous work as always, gov. Great stuff!

Ryan Glover July 5th, 2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Deere (Post 1543055)
Gorgeous work as always, gov. Great stuff!

Thanks Mark, so did you end up getting a Hot Rod PL for yourself?

Also, here's our latest little film thing;

GH13 44Mbps AVC hack w/ LOMO anamorphics...

Thanks for watching!

Christopher Ruffell July 6th, 2010 06:32 PM

Just watched this on Vimeo, and was going to post it here if you hadn't already - awesome! Beautiful little summer piece. Timeless images, emotive visuals.

Ryan Glover July 8th, 2010 03:21 PM

Thanks so much for the support, Christopher!