Anyone filming weddings with a GH1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Anyone filming weddings with a GH1

John, I previously posted that you were working with a not-so-great lens, and I'm mistaken, sorry. You mentioned the 14-54, and I was thinking Panasonic 14-45 or 14-42, which while usable, definitely are not great.

You later said Mark II and I then realized I didn't know what I was talking about. For your shoot in the above video you were actually using a Zuiko. I looked it up and it looks nice for the price, Especially for wide shots. I would not hesitate to buy one for use in cramped quarters, for our work it would just be slow at times when light is low. Is that pretty much your experience?
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
John, I previously posted that you were working with a not-so-great lens, and I'm mistaken, sorry. You mentioned the 14-54, and I was thinking Panasonic 14-45 or 14-42, which while usable, definitely are not great.

You later said Mark II and I then realized I didn't know what I was talking about. For your shoot in the above video you were actually using a Zuiko. I looked it up and it looks nice for the price, Especially for wide shots. I would not hesitate to buy one for use in cramped quarters, for our work it would just be slow at times when light is low. Is that pretty much your experience?
Except for perhaps the dimmest of venues, I think it's fine for most situations, especially with the GH2 (since I can bump up the ISO higher than I can go on the GH1). On the wide end, it's great and reasonably fast. And I use the GH2 telephoto feature a good bit, so that I can double the focal length on the long end as well.
John J. Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J. Arnold View Post
Thanks Jeff. Funny you mention new lenses. I just received my Olympus 35-100 f2 this week, and will be hopefully getting the 14-35 f2 later this summer. Not to knock the 14-54 Mark II though - I really like it and find it quite flexible (especially with the telephoto feature on the GH2). I also use my Panny 20mm and Sigma 50 mm 1.4 a lot.

And Patrick, thanks for watching!
I have ALWAYS wanted to see the 14-35mm in action on a GH2, ditto for the 35-100. Had the Mark II 14-54mm, great lens, but found myself needing continuous AF for glidecam work so went with panny's.

Just curious, why'd you get the 35-100 first? Think I'd get the 14-35 for prep and the fact you can get a bit closer for receptions when it's really dark. 35-100 would be good for churches but you could probably do just fine with a 2.8 zoom or faster primes than f2 (most churches aren't too bad lighting wise vs. the reception)
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hanna View Post
I have ALWAYS wanted to see the 14-35mm in action on a GH2, ditto for the 35-100. Had the Mark II 14-54mm, great lens, but found myself needing continuous AF for glidecam work so went with panny's.

Just curious, why'd you get the 35-100 first? Think I'd get the 14-35 for prep and the fact you can get a bit closer for receptions when it's really dark. 35-100 would be good for churches but you could probably do just fine with a 2.8 zoom or faster primes than f2 (most churches aren't too bad lighting wise vs. the reception)
Definitely agree, I'll use the 14-35 more day to day, but I just couldn't find it in stock anywhere, so went ahead with the longer lens and plan to get the 14-35 when I can find it. Which lens are you using with AF on the glidecam?
John J. Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I haven't had any Moire issues with my GH2, how about you wedding shooters who often film moire prone subjects such as bridal veils? Any moire problems?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Please post footage from both f2 asap! Don't think there's a single sample on the GH2/Gh1 with them.

Using 14-42 kit. It's really sharp luckily. I'd get a higher end 2.8 zoom, but none of them autofocus or not as well. Usually I use primes indoors or if it's too dark.
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #37
Inner Circle

I use a Tamron 28-70mm F/2.8 zoom for receptions, works pretty well. No auto focus, but I don't mind.
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
I use a Tamron 28-70mm F/2.8 zoom for receptions, works pretty well. No auto focus, but I don't mind.
How's the range? 2.8 is a bit slow though.
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #39
Inner Circle

The Tamron is definitely not fast, it is certainly no F/2.0. But I went with the Tamron as well as a Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 due to price. Keep in mind when I purchased these I was outfitting four cameras, not one or two, and price was a big factor for me. I also have a Canon 50mm F/1.4, the 20mm F/1.7 and 30mm F/1.4 to help out.

The zoom I listed above are far from ideal, but for someone who wants/needs a zoom, at around $400 to $500 they are pretty good. The Sigma cost me $400, and the Tamron I forget, but I think it was a little over $500, maybe $600. Not great lenses, but they are great values, and do the job. They are why I use light stands, and two to three lights at my receptions!
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Here are screen grabs from wedding Saturday taken with a Canon 50mm F/1.4, a Tamron 28-70 F/2.8, and a Sigma 18-55/F/2.8.

Admittedly the conditions were pretty good, and not as dark as we may often enounter. The screen grabs are washed out, and the actual video has more contrast, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone filming weddings with a GH1-canon50mm-f-1.4.jpg   Anyone filming weddings with a GH1-tamron.jpg  

Anyone filming weddings with a GH1-sigma.jpg  

Last edited by Jeff Harper; July 18th, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #41
Major Player

Jeff, what lights are those you use at the reception?
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #42
Inner Circle

I use three different ones, a Comer 1800, a Fotodiox I'm not particularly thrilled with (it was supposedly daylight balanced but is still bluish and irritates photogrtaphers) and another cheapo large led. The Comer is best by far, of course.

I also have a 2'x2' softbox I will take on occasion and it produces stunning results, but cannot be used most times. But when you put it up 9' high, it is the bomb and gives almost a studio quality to dance footage. I'm thinking about a 1'x1' softbox that will be more flexible and usable at more venues.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series