Anyone filming weddings with a GH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone filming weddings with a GH1

I have been wanting to get into the dslr world with the lightweight and incredible picture quality. Has anyone been using these cameras for filming weddings?
Andy Loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Trustee

yep - started with 1 & now I have 4. My last 3 weddings were 90% GH1 and my next will be 100% GH1 (GH13)
Old October 2nd, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Here are two videographers using the GH1 for weddings

Rusty Bryce Wedding Films

Psynema: Mind Over Media Blog Archive Martin & Rachel Slamon: GH1 Lumix Full Wedding
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yep here I am...have newer samples up for other vids

Psynema | Facebook
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

We shoot with two GH1s and a Panasonic TM700 camcorder (which we want to replace ASAP with another DSLR).

Here's one of our latest highlight videos, shot entirely with GH1s and graded in Apple Color.

My main frustrations with the GH1 are its noise and poor 1080p settings (I haven't hacked ours yet because I don't want to risk having a camera fail during a wedding!). The video above was shot at 720p.
Kevin Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have used it a bit, but audio has been the big issue, how do manage that?

some black and white (GH1) shots here
Zulqar Cheema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

We use portable MP3 recorders, which helps, but it's not an ideal solution. We're hoping to add another camera for next season, and better audio control will definitely be one of the criteria it has to meet.
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Trouble is with all those audio clips make the production harder and adds to the production time. Things have to be done a on a budget and it does not allow that

So most of my sound comes from my JVC HM700 on board and radio mics and the sync the GH1 back to that
Zulqar Cheema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Kevin - Great work. Just a couple of questions. What kind of stabilizer are you using? I liked the shots of the bride selecting the candy, very smooth - was that on a stabilizer? Do you use a rig or go handheld at all? What lenses are you using - it seems there is some focus hunting in the church as the bride is either walking down the aisle or being given away. Any vintage glass? If so which are you using?

Again great job - I just picked up the GH1(nonhackable) with kit and a few manual lenses. Love it and think that a wedding is doable but I'd have a second video cam as a safety net. Would love to see more edits from the GH1.
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Michael,

You're absolutely right about our focusing. It's something we're trying to improve with each wedding. We often shoot close to wide open since the GH1 tends to be rather noisy at high ISOs, and this often results in footage being not quite as sharply focused as I'd like it to be.

With regard to lenses, at this stage we were only using Panasonic lenses: The kit 14-140mm and the 17mm f1.7 pancake lens. Since then, we've picked up a few Nikkor lenses, which have performed well, though they're manual focus only. The Nikkor AF 50mm 1.4 performs quite well at receptions.

Other than that, we used a couple tripods and a Steadicam Merlin. The Merlin is ok. We didn't have room in our budget for a fancier steadicam, so we get by with it. It does come in handy when you need to be mobile.

:)
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone filming weddings with a GH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulqar Cheema View Post
Trouble is with all those audio clips make the production harder and adds to the production time. Things have to be done a on a budget and it does not allow that

So most of my sound comes from my JVC HM700 on board and radio mics and the sync the GH1 back to that
Pluraleyes: problem solved

and never realized you could embed on this forum...phew - GH2 with GH1 as 2nd cam - think I posted this before but as a separate link to part one

Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Here is a recent Wedding trailer of mine:

Shot with two GH2s and the 14-140 kit, 20mm and 14mm pancake Panasonic lenses.
John Griswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #13
Trustee

Nice work John. Looks great.

Not picking on you at all, I just happened to look at your sample and not the others, so I'll ask you these questions.

This is the first GH2 footage I've seen. I notice a strange distortion in the image in the clip where the bride and groom enter the reception. What is that. Almost gets wobbly. Is that rolling shutter "jellocam?"

I notice that the GH2 also exhibits the camera flash problem with flashes showing on half the frame. I didn't expect that.

Anyway, loved the highlight.
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Major Player

Shot with a GH2 and XHA1.

YouTube - ‪Josh & Susy Waitzman - Wedding Highlight Reel‬‏ ...watch in 720p or 1080p =)
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
This is the first GH2 footage I've seen. I notice a strange distortion in the image in the clip where the bride and groom enter the reception. What is that. Almost gets wobbly. Is that rolling shutter "jellocam?"
No that is FCPX trying to stabilize a shaky video. I expected them to enter on the the right but they came in on the left so I was side stepping with my shoulder rig on causing shake. Rolling shutter is a different effect and can be seen in fast camera pans where the scene seems to tilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
I notice that the GH2 also exhibits the camera flash problem with flashes showing on half the frame. I didn't expect that.
Yep, kinda sucks. This was shot in 24p mode with a shutter speed of 1/50 second. At 1/25 it might look better as it should then fill the screen with the flash instead of just half.
John Griswell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series