DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH2 pre-order? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/486358-gh2-pre-order.html)

Graham Hickling October 19th, 2010 08:36 PM

GH2 pre-order?

Just wondering - various postings around the web refer to B&H having pre-order available for the GH2 ... however presently their website just offers "Notify when available".

Was there at one point in time a pre-order option, that has now ended? Or were those web-posting inaccurate?

Bill Koehler October 19th, 2010 11:55 PM

Yes - in fact I checked myself yesterday and it was there.

Graham Hickling October 20th, 2010 04:42 AM

When I checked (yesterday, and just now), I see product pages for the various GH2 configurations, but no option to pre-order. Just "Notify when available"...

Whereas for the AF100 (for example) you can actually pre-order it - lay down cold, hard cash - with 6-10 weeks anticipated delivery.

Graham Hickling October 20th, 2010 08:20 PM

??? Is this some super-double-secret squirrel club thing? I've asked this question on two fora and got no answer. Surely someone knows whether or not B&H offered an actual GH2 pre-order option in recent days/weeks???

Edit: Bill, if the option was there yesterday I apologise. All I can say is that when I looked yesterday morning, it did not appear to be available.

Les Wilson October 20th, 2010 08:31 PM

Why on earth does it matter if they did or not? They don't now. You can pre-order on Amazon.

Graham Hickling October 20th, 2010 08:37 PM

Because if they had a pre-order, and ended it, it would suggest to me that they are so heavily oversubscribed that they anticipate it taking some time to catch up with demand. It's a straightforward question, so I don''t apologize for asking.

Eric Stemen October 21st, 2010 10:42 AM

I've been curious about this as well. It was a legitimate question.

Dave Eaton October 23rd, 2010 07:21 AM

Checked B&H this morning and "Add To Wishlist" and "Notify When in Stock" was all that was there.

Searched Adorama for GH2 to see if they were taking pre-orders and it says "Add To Cart" for both black and silver, with 14-140 or 14-42 lenses. I added one to the cart to see if it would say pre-order or not in stock, it didn't. I didn't click on pay though.

Graham Hickling October 23rd, 2010 11:20 AM

The Adorama option appeared a few hours ago. I pre-ordered this morning and the order went through fine.

(It's bizarre that there are 25,381 websites out there saying that B&H has pre-ordering available for the GH2 ... I still can't seem to find out whether they did for a while ... or not.)

Edit: OK I've finally confirmed that all those websites are incorrect. B&H have not so far offered a GH2 pre-order. Here in the US, Amazon has had pre-order available for several weeks, Adorama's began today. I also learned that with the GH1, Amazon was one of the slowest to actually begin shipping their pre-orders.

Carlo Zanella October 28th, 2010 11:16 AM

Ordered grah GH2 at Adorama

After speaking to a sales associate at Adorama, I ordered the gray with the 14-42. They told me it should be in stock starting NOV 1st. I don't really care if that's accurate, they bill you only when it actually ships (unlike another store in NY). I have a gh13, I'll wait. And if they do ship first week of NOV ,,,,GREAT. Just need a little bit of patience.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Graham Hickling October 30th, 2010 05:16 AM

@Carlo - it sure looks like Adorama are about the ship the grey models - did they tell you anything about the likely timing of the black ones???

R Geoff Baker October 30th, 2010 06:10 AM

What 'grey' models? Grey market?

The GH2 is being released in black or silver, according to all the ads I've seen ..?

GB

Graham Hickling October 30th, 2010 06:42 AM

Yeah, sorry, I meant silver. The silver ones appear to now be in stock at Adorama. The black ones are still listed as awaiting arrival from manufacturer. There is a post on 43Rumors from a guy who was told silver units would start shipping Monday.

Carlo Zanella October 30th, 2010 10:21 PM

They told me they should be in stock starting NOV1st, but I really don't count on it. I continue to use my GH13 and I'll be happy when I'll get the 2. In other words, I would NOT plan any session based on what they told me. If I get it soon GREAT, if not, I am ready to wait. I think is going to be worth the wait anyway!!! As far as the black ones, I didn't even ask. I rather get the silver (it should ge al little lesshot whan exposed at the New Mexican sun...-:)

Oh, by the way, yes, they look like they are in stock but, after placing the order, you will get a backordered msg. I was expecting that since I spoke to a sales associate before ordering it on-line. They charge your credit card only when they ship anyway, and ...free shipping.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Paulo Teixeira November 1st, 2010 08:02 PM

On a DPReview forum, people are reporting that Amazon has canceled theirs pre-orders of the silver version.

Looks like it'll have the same supply issues of the GH1.