GH1 Portrait Lens Choice / Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Major Player

GH1 Portrait Lens Choice / Problems

Hey guys/gals. Like a bunch of us video folks, I've started shooting photography professionally thanks to these DSLRS. Mostly corporate conference stuff. My major lens I shoot on (that the clients like) is a Canon FD 85mm 1.8 . It looks great and gives me the candids they want, however the depth of field is so shallow (which is one of the things I like about it of course), that if someone leans forward 6 inches they're out of focus. So I get like 25% of my shots look amazing and the rest are blurry. I'm shooting wide open (not great light in the conference hall) but I'd love to have use a lens that still has bokeh, however is not quite so sensitive in a live uncontrolled situation like that?
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Josh, simply change your f stop. Instead of shooting at f1.8, try shooting at f2.8.

Good Luck!
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Major Player

re:

Hi David. The plot thickens....

I forgot to mention that some lenses are tricky with the GH1 Since I'm using a Panasonic camera that doesn't have many native lenses, I generally end up using Canon or Nikon lenses since they have a Micro 4/3rds adapter. Unfortunately the GH1 doesn't always register when I manually change the f-stop on the lens I'm using, so with my 85mm, it's basically "stuck" open (whether i physically slide it all the way to 22 or not). I used a few Nikon Lenses and it seemed to recognize those a little better, but I don't own any so I'll prob rent..
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

????

Stop down to F4, and either add some light, or add more ISO. You can't get something for nothing.
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Hi David. The plot thickens....

I forgot to mention that some lenses are tricky with the GH1 Since I'm using a Panasonic camera that doesn't have many native lenses, I generally end up using Canon or Nikon lenses since they have a Micro 4/3rds adapter. Unfortunately the GH1 doesn't always register when I manually change the f-stop on the lens I'm using, so with my 85mm, it's basically "stuck" open (whether i physically slide it all the way to 22 or not). I used a few Nikon Lenses and it seemed to recognize those a little better, but I don't own any so I'll prob rent..
Have you not added a prop in the FD aperture control arm so you can manually control the lens iris on non-FD cameras?
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Major Player

re:

When I first got it, as long as i slid a ring on the Canon to Micro 4/3rds adapter, it would usually make the camera recognize that I was adjusting the iris, and the camera would react as if it was a stock lens with aperture control. So I never added a "arm". Not sure I know what that is, but perhaps I should have?

Since I'm shooting all manual and with a depth of field that razor shallow, it makes for quite the challenge than just shooting on my stock lens (but it's not a fast enough lens).
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Major Player

re:

I have a conference this Wednesday, and I'd love to not deal with quite as much hassle. I wonder if I should rent a 85 mm Nikon lens (as I mentioned earlier the camera appears to "sync" with the lenses better, close the aperture a stop or two and go about it that way?
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #8
Trustee

you have to rotate the ring on the adaptor - one way the lens won't stop down and the other it will - rotate the ring with the lens off and you'll see it engage the aperture control arm.

I use the same lens and it's fine - stop it down to get a deeper depth of field
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #9
New Boot

It seems like the problem is not the GH1 but the Canon lens adapter. Your Nikon lens adapter seems to have the iris arm and the Canon doesn't. I have a Canon 52mm 1.4 that works prefectly with the lens adapter which gives you the option to keep the iris fully opened or to close or open it by using the iris ring on the lens. You should be able to see the iris closing when you move the ring if you have the correct adapter. Not all lens adapter gives you this capability.

Last edited by Maximilian Pinedo; November 9th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Maximilian Pinedo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series