Pentax SMC Tak or Minolta Rokkor - 50mm Prime at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Pentax SMC Tak or Minolta Rokkor - 50mm Prime

Hi all.

I'm looking into 50mm primes for my GH1. I think I've got it narrowed down to two - the Takumar SMC 50mm 1.4 or the Minolta Rokkor MC. I'm hoping one of the two will match well with the kits lens and 20mm pancake (color, sharpness, contrast, etc).

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Rokkor is a bit cheaper ...

Many thanks!
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't have experience with either of those lenses, but I recently purchased an AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D, and I'm quite happy with it. It does seem a bit soft wide open, but that is probably a focus problem on my part, as much as anything. It's low-light performance is a little better than the pancake lens, as you'd expect. Overall, I'm pleased with it. In general, I've found Nikkor lenses match the Panasonic lenses quite well, at least colour wise. Of course, there's no autofocus, but for video we get by without it.
Kevin Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mercer View Post
Hi all.

I'm looking into 50mm primes for my GH1. I think I've got it narrowed down to two - the Takumar SMC 50mm 1.4 or the Minolta Rokkor MC. I'm hoping one of the two will match well with the kits lens and 20mm pancake (color, sharpness, contrast, etc).

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Rokkor is a bit cheaper ...

Many thanks!
I had a chance to buy both of these. You have to choose based on your desires. They will look different than each other.

I passed on both and bought a Nikon 50 and a Fujinon. I am THRILLED with the look of both, but they are very different from each other.

The SMC Tak is going to be warmer most likely than the Minolta. I wouldn't think either would match the modern glass on GH1, but I couldn't say for sure.

Buy both, test them out, sell the one you don't like. Or if you're like me, convince yourself you really need both, and start a nice lens collection! :)
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Perrone and Kevin. I appreciate the input.

I've read rave reviews of the SMC Tak, which is why I was interested. ANd I saw a video on vimeo where both the pancake and the Tak were used and looked very complimentary (I don't believe much CC was done on the shots).

Maybe the cooler look of the Minolta is worth looking at ... and it only costs $55. Like you said Perrone, I could buy both and sell the one I don't like ... too bad you have to buy the adaptors for these as well!

And Kevin, how're you liking the weather this morning? Frosty huh? What part of Calgary do you live in? I'm in the SW ... we should connect.
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mercer View Post
Thanks Perrone and Kevin. I appreciate the input.

I've read rave reviews of the SMC Tak, which is why I was interested. ANd I saw a video on vimeo where both the pancake and the Tak were used and looked very complimentary (I don't believe much CC was done on the shots).

Maybe the cooler look of the Minolta is worth looking at ... and it only costs $55. Like you said Perrone, I could buy both and sell the one I don't like ... too bad you have to buy the adaptors for these as well!
The M42 adapters I got were $6. Hardly a concern. Honestly, if you can afford it, just buy both. The 50-55mm length tend to make nice portrait or 2-shot lenses, and sometimes having a slightly different look is very welcome. Plus they are super cheap.
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
The M42 adapters I got were $6.
Where'd you find adaptors for $6?
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Sorry, it was $5

Pentax M42 Lens to Canon EOS 20D 350D 1d 3 30d adapter - eBay (item 290496295545 end time Dec-04-10 07:50:00 PST)
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have a Pentax SMC 50mm F1.4 in k mount, that I prefer over my Nikon 50mm F 1.4 for video. Not sure why, it just seems to feel more organic ??
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I have a Pentax SMC 50mm F1.4 in k mount, that I prefer over my Nikon 50mm F 1.4 for video. Not sure why, it just seems to feel more organic ??
Which Nikon F1.4? There's at least half a dozen...
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Older 1970 models. I just bought a second one with the black "nose" that I haven't tested yet, but the first one was like this photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Pentax SMC Tak or Minolta Rokkor - 50mm Prime-nikonlens.jpg  
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Ah ok. Mine is from the generation before that. Before Nikon was called Nikon... And I think it looks VERY organic. But hey, that's why there are so many of these things. Everyone likes something a bit different. Even different looks film to film.
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I think it is more of a color thing., which can be changed in post to some extent anyway. Interstingly, for the particular (cheap DFocus) follow focus I use, the Nikon lens, because of length, and also because my circular filters are all set to 52mm, works better. So I will opt for it in most of those situations.
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Interesting ... is Perrone right that the color is warmer than the Panasonic's? Have/would you use the kit lens together with the SMC?

Cheers!
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Inner Circle

HEY! I didn't say it would be warmer than the Panasonic.. I said it would be warmer than the Minolta. That came from looking at images from both. I said I couldn't say how it would compare to the Panasonic... :)
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
HEY! I didn't say it would be warmer than the Panasonic.. I said it would be warmer than the Minolta. That came from looking at images from both. I said I couldn't say how it would compare to the Panasonic... :)
Right you are my friend. Apologies for the misquote.

By the way, with my HDV camera (Sony A1E) I found underexposing by one or two stops generally gave the best image (a bit more saturation). Any opinions on whether this holds true for the GH1?
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series