DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Pentax SMC Tak or Minolta Rokkor - 50mm Prime (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/487205-pentax-smc-tak-minolta-rokkor-50mm-prime.html)

Dave Mercer November 8th, 2010 07:08 PM

Pentax SMC Tak or Minolta Rokkor - 50mm Prime

Hi all.

I'm looking into 50mm primes for my GH1. I think I've got it narrowed down to two - the Takumar SMC 50mm 1.4 or the Minolta Rokkor MC. I'm hoping one of the two will match well with the kits lens and 20mm pancake (color, sharpness, contrast, etc).

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Rokkor is a bit cheaper ...

Many thanks!

Kevin Hill November 9th, 2010 12:47 AM

I don't have experience with either of those lenses, but I recently purchased an AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D, and I'm quite happy with it. It does seem a bit soft wide open, but that is probably a focus problem on my part, as much as anything. It's low-light performance is a little better than the pancake lens, as you'd expect. Overall, I'm pleased with it. In general, I've found Nikkor lenses match the Panasonic lenses quite well, at least colour wise. Of course, there's no autofocus, but for video we get by without it.

Perrone Ford November 9th, 2010 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mercer (Post 1586161)
Hi all.

I'm looking into 50mm primes for my GH1. I think I've got it narrowed down to two - the Takumar SMC 50mm 1.4 or the Minolta Rokkor MC. I'm hoping one of the two will match well with the kits lens and 20mm pancake (color, sharpness, contrast, etc).

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Rokkor is a bit cheaper ...

Many thanks!

I had a chance to buy both of these. You have to choose based on your desires. They will look different than each other.

I passed on both and bought a Nikon 50 and a Fujinon. I am THRILLED with the look of both, but they are very different from each other.

The SMC Tak is going to be warmer most likely than the Minolta. I wouldn't think either would match the modern glass on GH1, but I couldn't say for sure.

Buy both, test them out, sell the one you don't like. Or if you're like me, convince yourself you really need both, and start a nice lens collection! :)

Dave Mercer November 9th, 2010 09:15 AM

Thanks Perrone and Kevin. I appreciate the input.

I've read rave reviews of the SMC Tak, which is why I was interested. ANd I saw a video on vimeo where both the pancake and the Tak were used and looked very complimentary (I don't believe much CC was done on the shots).

Maybe the cooler look of the Minolta is worth looking at ... and it only costs $55. Like you said Perrone, I could buy both and sell the one I don't like ... too bad you have to buy the adaptors for these as well!

And Kevin, how're you liking the weather this morning? Frosty huh? What part of Calgary do you live in? I'm in the SW ... we should connect.

Perrone Ford November 9th, 2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mercer (Post 1586314)
Thanks Perrone and Kevin. I appreciate the input.

I've read rave reviews of the SMC Tak, which is why I was interested. ANd I saw a video on vimeo where both the pancake and the Tak were used and looked very complimentary (I don't believe much CC was done on the shots).

Maybe the cooler look of the Minolta is worth looking at ... and it only costs $55. Like you said Perrone, I could buy both and sell the one I don't like ... too bad you have to buy the adaptors for these as well!

The M42 adapters I got were $6. Hardly a concern. Honestly, if you can afford it, just buy both. The 50-55mm length tend to make nice portrait or 2-shot lenses, and sometimes having a slightly different look is very welcome. Plus they are super cheap.

Dave Mercer November 9th, 2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1586315)
The M42 adapters I got were $6.

Where'd you find adaptors for $6?

Perrone Ford November 9th, 2010 11:23 AM

Sorry, it was $5

Pentax M42 Lens to Canon EOS 20D 350D 1d 3 30d adapter - eBay (item 290496295545 end time Dec-04-10 07:50:00 PST)

Chris Barcellos November 9th, 2010 12:33 PM

I have a Pentax SMC 50mm F1.4 in k mount, that I prefer over my Nikon 50mm F 1.4 for video. Not sure why, it just seems to feel more organic ??

Perrone Ford November 9th, 2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1586356)
I have a Pentax SMC 50mm F1.4 in k mount, that I prefer over my Nikon 50mm F 1.4 for video. Not sure why, it just seems to feel more organic ??

Which Nikon F1.4? There's at least half a dozen...

Chris Barcellos November 9th, 2010 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Older 1970 models. I just bought a second one with the black "nose" that I haven't tested yet, but the first one was like this photo attached.

Perrone Ford November 9th, 2010 01:26 PM

Ah ok. Mine is from the generation before that. Before Nikon was called Nikon... And I think it looks VERY organic. But hey, that's why there are so many of these things. Everyone likes something a bit different. Even different looks film to film.

Chris Barcellos November 9th, 2010 01:35 PM

I think it is more of a color thing., which can be changed in post to some extent anyway. Interstingly, for the particular (cheap DFocus) follow focus I use, the Nikon lens, because of length, and also because my circular filters are all set to 52mm, works better. So I will opt for it in most of those situations.

Dave Mercer November 9th, 2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1586356)

Interesting ... is Perrone right that the color is warmer than the Panasonic's? Have/would you use the kit lens together with the SMC?

Cheers!

Perrone Ford November 9th, 2010 02:36 PM

HEY! I didn't say it would be warmer than the Panasonic.. I said it would be warmer than the Minolta. That came from looking at images from both. I said I couldn't say how it would compare to the Panasonic... :)

Dave Mercer November 9th, 2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1586387)
HEY! I didn't say it would be warmer than the Panasonic.. I said it would be warmer than the Minolta. That came from looking at images from both. I said I couldn't say how it would compare to the Panasonic... :)

Right you are my friend. Apologies for the misquote.

By the way, with my HDV camera (Sony A1E) I found underexposing by one or two stops generally gave the best image (a bit more saturation). Any opinions on whether this holds true for the GH1?