Don't plan an extensive GH2 shoot until you can get batteries/AC cord at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Don't plan an extensive GH2 shoot until you can get batteries/AC cord

I just received my new GH2 today from Adorama (black, 14-140mm lens). Great camera, having a great time... until the battery died after about an hour. I had ordered a battery that I was told would work with the GH2 (DMW-BLB13PP); no such luck. It isn't even close; you need the DMW-BLC12PP. Tried to find some online; again, no luck. I found a company in Japan that allegedly has the DMW-AC8 (I say "allegedly," as I know that buying "genuine" batteries et al can be risky from Japan or Hong Kong, but I've actually had great success the last month in buying batteries that work in new cameras), but I won't get it for a few weeks.

Thus my recommendation: don't plan an extensive shoot until you have extra batteries and/or the AC8 power cord in your hands. Use the next period of time to get accustomed to the GH2 so that when you can actually purchase batteries/AC cord, you're ready to record. Otherwise, stick with your other cameras for current projects.
James Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Sound advice James!

It's a pity Panasonic are not a bit more prepared with their spare batteries; but I suppose it will force people not to shoot anything major until they've spent some time with the camera.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm not familiar with this retailer, but they claim to have the batteries.
Panasonic DMWBLC12 Lithium Ion Battery for GH2 Lithium Batteries - Vistek Canada Product Detail
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Brian,
Thanks for the attempt, and I did see that Vistek claims to have them, but once you try to checkout, it says, "out of stock." I'll keep an eye on that site.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Trustee

I'll still use the GH2 for projects although I still have the GH1 as back up. I wish it was the same battery as the GH1's and we wouldn't be having these issues. When the GH1 came out, I bought it with a spare battery and it's a good thing I did. It's too bad I couldn't do that with the GH2.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Any overheating issues with the GH2 video?
Stephen Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #7
Trustee

If the GH2 is anything like the GH1, it wont be an issue. I shot videos until the battery died today at an event yesterday. Since Panasonic haven't released many spare batteries if any in the US, that's the limitation. I've said this in other places that have people asking this question everywhere, but not every camera is made the same way.
GH1/2 Overheating Problems?
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Trustee

I could not find the GH2 or batteries for it in stock at a reputable dealer, so I went ahead and ordered an AF100 along with extra batteries and sdxc cards. I figured it will be here long before the GH2.
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Boss View Post
Any overheating issues with the GH2 video?
I have a pair of GH2's and they don't overheat. That was a huge problem on my 7d. I don't understand how wedding guys were able to use the 7d. However, in defense of the 7d, mine stopped overheating once I started using external monitor. But it'd always be in the back of your mind that the dreaded RED light would turn on. GH2 so far seem way better for video for any number of reasons. 7d wins for stills though.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Update... I ordered two of these through The Camera Store | Get the Picture!. When I called, they said that you need to order them via their website. I wasn't sure that I trusted this even though the site said "in stock," but I took a chance. I ordered them yesterday and they shipped them out today, so not too bad. It'll take a bit of shipping time, but at least they're on their way.
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #11
Regular Crew

How long does the battery typically last for the GH2?

Thanks.
Gabroo Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Campbell View Post
Update... I ordered two of these through The Camera Store | Get the Picture!. When I called, they said that you need to order them via their website. I wasn't sure that I trusted this even though the site said "in stock," but I took a chance. I ordered them yesterday and they shipped them out today, so not too bad. It'll take a bit of shipping time, but at least they're on their way.
Please let us know if they got to you and are the right ones.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Major Player

I wasn't aware you could plug in an A/C cord. Where's the jack?
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #14
New Boot

I also have a battery problem...can't find them anywhere and they're quite expensive anyway (because there only are original ones).

Maybe it can be used with a Tekkeon myPower All? Tekkeon - myPower ALL, MP3300/MP3400/MP3450 If it works, it should be the same as about 6 batteries. I'm not sure though. Anyone?
Ros Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #15
Regular Crew

"Where's the jack?"

I believe that if you open the battery compartment, there is a small square, rubber piece that pulls out, and the AC cord runs into the battery compartment.
James Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series