24P versus 60i video quality on GH2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 25th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McLoughlin View Post
Hi Martyn,

I've looked at your YouTube video and can clearly see what you are referring to. I haven't seen these type of results from other people using the GH-2, or with my own small tests, so I am wondering about the technical details of your shoot and how you handled the AVCHD video files in post-processing.

Here's a quick list of things I would like to know:

During Your Shoot

- What lens ?
- What shutter speed and f-stop?
- What camera color mode ? ( i.e. Cine, Smooth, Standard, etc... )

Post Processing Your Footage

- What software did you edit with ?
- Are you keeping the native resolution ? ( YouTube is a horrible place to evaluate video. Vimeo is much better, especially Video Plus which supports full 1080P playback from the web )
- What is your finished export format ? ( i.e. CODEC, display size, frame-rate, data-rate, etc... )

...There is a good chance that it might be something in your process that is creating these less than satisfactory results, so if you can fill in the black for us, we might be able to help sort things out.
Well i will answer as good as i can Guy,i only have the 14-140 lens that came with the GH2,
sorry i cant tell you what shutter f stop, i usualy use exposure mode p and adjust the picture using the rear dial,this may not be the correct way but its the only way i can get the picture right without being over or under exposed,i have tried all the camera modes and at present use standard i started with nostalgic but i prefer standard buti plan to give smooth and cinema a good test later.

i keep to native resolution as i did with my canon editing but the picture moire alaising looks the same on direct hd play via hdmi, if the cause is something i am doing wrong filming i may not be able to keep the GH2 because trying to keep the picture looking right exposure wise plus compose/ frame/ watch the AF is working is about my limit on the move, although it is more effort i use a tripod when possible.thanks
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Low light test with the GH2

I went downtown to the Museum of Natural History for an hour or hour and a half and tried out my GH2 in what I knew would be low light. Shot in manual movie mode, 60i, ISO limit set to 3200. No color correction.
Kit lens 14mm to 42mm. No tripods or monopods are allowed but somehow I got my little monopod in there.
I am surprised some of it came out because the available light is quite poor. All in all I am quite pleased with the image quality in a low light environment.

Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Interesting, no aliasing that I could see beyond the interlacing artifacts. Very nice image for the museum which is quite dark in places. A 3-chip HD camera would have a hard time in there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series