DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Backup to GH2 - GH1 or GF2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/490636-backup-gh2-gh1-gf2.html)

John Flores January 24th, 2011 12:41 PM

Backup to GH2 - GH1 or GF2?

I've got the GH2 and am happy with it so far. It's my first M43 camera. I'm thinking of getting a second body as a backup for my still photography (motorcycle travel) and as a backup for the video projects that I land. I was initially drawn to the GF2, primarily for its small size, but now there are GH1's on the market at really nice prices.

So what's the collective wisdom of the group with regards to both still image quality and video quality? Does the GH1 still rule despite being older than the GF2?

Any feedback appreciated...

John Wiley January 24th, 2011 04:38 PM

I think you'll find the GH1 is probably more suitable for your needs.

I haven't used a GF2, but from everything I've read it is designed more as an upgraded compact than as a small DSLR. It apperently relies heavily on the touchscreen to operate it and change settings, unlike it's predecessor the GF1.

The GH1, however, will feel completely familiar in your hands with the only major difference being the location of the click-wheel. It will shoot almost matching footage to your GH2 with the same frames rates and field of view (the GF1 has only 30p and a more cropped view in video mode).

If size is a big consideration (not that the GH1 is at all big!) then I'd be inclined to consider the older model , and GF1. It is also available super cheap at the moment, and while it is marginally bigger than the newer GF2, the extra room is put to good use with more physical buttons.

Brian Luce January 24th, 2011 04:58 PM

Speaking of super cheap, the GH1 was, until a few days ago, available with the kit lens for $375. I expect that promo to run again. At that price, can you afford NOT to buy it?
(price is at $499 currently).

Maximilian Pinedo January 24th, 2011 07:12 PM

Under 500.00 ?

$375.00?
Are you sure?
Do you have a link?

Dave Eaton January 24th, 2011 07:55 PM

If you are on (or join) Facebook and become a fan of Panasonic (facebook.com/panasonic) you can get a 15% on a bunch of Panasonic items, including a GH2 body (no lens kits listed...yet) for $765, a GH1 body with 14-42mm for $425 (shows at $375 some times).

Detailed instructions: Make sure you are logged into Facebook, on Panasonic's page and click on the "Like" icon above FANS ONLY tab. Click on FANS ONLY tab and the "Click here to go to the VIP store". At the store mouse over Cameras & Camcorders in the green menu bar, then click on Digital Camera in the sub-menu. From there it should be obvious.

As a backup for a GH2 I'd recommend another GH2, especially now that you can buy just the body. Nothing like having two identical cameras that have all the same features and settings, controls in the same place, same image quality, take the same battery, etc.

Brian Luce January 24th, 2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximilian Pinedo (Post 1610943)
$375.00?
Are you sure?
Do you have a link?

Positive. You go to Panny's Facebook page, become a fan and go to Panasonic Direct and it'll show up in your cart at $375. But the promo is not running right now. It ended yesterday.

Maximilian Pinedo January 25th, 2011 11:32 AM

Great Info Brian.
For those interested here's the link:

2010 LUMIX® Digital Cameras from Panasonic

Brian Luce January 25th, 2011 03:14 PM

The $375 seems to be on again.

Joe Ogiba January 25th, 2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1610999)
Positive. You go to Panny's Facebook page, become a fan and go to Panasonic Direct and it'll show up in your cart at $375. But the promo is not running right now. It ended yesterday.

I checked a few hours ago and it showed the $375 facebook deal still available.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5166/...df3b11c6_b.jpg