DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Transcend class 10 cards with GH2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/490657-transcend-class-10-cards-gh2.html)

Brian Luce January 25th, 2011 12:44 AM

Transcend class 10 cards with GH2?

Anyone tried these? So far I've been using Panasonic Gold and Sandisk Extreme with great results but the Transcends are far cheaper.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/700166-REG/Transcend_TS8GSDHC10_8GB_SDHC_Card.html

Jim Forrest January 27th, 2011 08:36 AM

I use transcend class 10 cards and all work very well.

Evan Lloyd January 27th, 2011 11:21 AM

I use them as well. They work great.

John Wiley January 29th, 2011 10:10 PM

Class 10 is actually overkill.

Remember, the GH2 is limited to 24mpbs. It's not like the hacked GH1 or the 7d which go up to 45+ mpbs so you can get away with a much slower card. Class 6 should be more than enough and class 4 should be adequate.

Joe Ogiba January 31st, 2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1611021)
Anyone tried these? So far I've been using Panasonic Gold and Sandisk Extreme with great results but the Transcends are far cheaper.

Transcend 8GB SDHC Card TS8GSDHC10 B&H Photo Video

I would rather pay a little more for a Panasonic Gold or Sandisk Extreme IMHO.

Panasonic 8GB SDHC Memory Card Class 10 in Secure Digital Memory Cards at JR.com

Brian Luce January 31st, 2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba (Post 1613122)
I would rather pay a little more for a Panasonic Gold or Sandisk Extreme IMHO.

Have you had a bad experience with Transcend?

Bill Bruner February 3rd, 2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1612780)
Class 10 is actually overkill.

Remember, the GH2 is limited to 24mpbs. It's not like the hacked GH1 or the 7d which go up to 45+ mpbs so you can get away with a much slower card. Class 6 should be more than enough and class 4 should be adequate.

You're right, John, but with a caveat. I agree that the less expensive Class 6 cards are fast enough for shooting GH2 video (unlike T2i video, which requires Class 10), but I have found transferring large video files to a backup drive from a Class 6 card to be painfully slow. So I use Class 10s for both cameras -- still a slog, but not as bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1611021)

Transcend 8GB SDHC Card TS8GSDHC10 B&H Photo Video

Brian, my 16GB Class 10 is a Transcend and it has been reliable for the month I've been shooting with it.

Better price for the 8GB is from Amazon (lower cost when you consider free shipping):

Brian Luce February 3rd, 2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Bruner (Post 1614141)
Brian, my 16GB Class 10 is a Transcend and it has been reliable for the month I've been shooting with it.

Better price for the 8GB is from Amazon (lower cost when you consider free shipping):

Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS8GSDHC10E from Amazon

I love that price. Are you familiar with the vendor? I don't know about Amazon, but ebay is allegedly rife with counterfeit cards.

Joe Ogiba February 3rd, 2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1613191)
Have you had a bad experience with Transcend?

I don't have any Transcend cards but their user ratings are lower than Sandisk but not as bad as A-Data. If Transcend cards were the exact same quality as the Sandisk cards for a fraction of the price then why would anyone buy a Sandisk card ?

Brian Luce February 3rd, 2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba (Post 1614315)
If Transcend cards were the exact same quality as the Sandisk cards for a fraction of the price then why would anyone buy a Sandisk card ?

Because of marketing and branding which are often independent of quality.

Joe Ogiba February 4th, 2011 05:47 PM

"Because of marketing and branding which are often independent of quality. "

Like I said before Sandisk user ratings are not as bad as Trancend.
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS32GSDHC10E/product-reviews/B003VNKNF0/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extreme-SDHC-Cards-SDSDX3-032G-A31/product-reviews/B001TDL34Y/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
"Although the price may seem right, the performance isn't. The Transcend 32GB Class 10 automatically stopped recording on the first full day of shooting using the Canon EOS 60D (the camera was NOT overheating). This is something an event shooter like myself cannot afford. I have been reading the blogs and have found this issue a common one, particularly with cheaper SDHC cards like Patriot and Transcend and even possibly counterfeit Sandisk Extremes sold through shady vendors (always buy direct from a trusted vendor). Why risk losing important footage that is your livelihood just to save [$] on one purchase? I've asked myself this question and have come to the conclusion that I'm sticking with Canon recommended Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SDHC cards only. I have an 8BG Sandisk Extreme Class 10 and have never had any issue. Bottom line: You get what you pay for. Cheap storage = cheap performance. This Transcend 32GB Class 10 is going into my Zoom H4n as it's new home, hopefully it can handle that!"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712659-REG/Transcend_TS32GSDHC10_32GB_SDHC_Card.html

Brian Luce February 4th, 2011 07:09 PM

Actually the card in question was the 8 gig, not the 32 gig, and Transcend and Sandisk have exactly the same 4.5 star Amazon rating -- which is a dubious metric anyhow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba (Post 1614743)
"Because of marketing and branding which are often independent of quality. "

Like I said before Sandisk user ratings are not as bad as Trancend.
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10E

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sandisk 32 GB Extreme SDHC Cards (SDSDX3-032G-A31)

"Although the price may seem right, the performance isn't. The Transcend 32GB Class 10 automatically stopped recording on the first full day of shooting using the Canon EOS 60D (the camera was NOT overheating). This is something an event shooter like myself cannot afford. I have been reading the blogs and have found this issue a common one, particularly with cheaper SDHC cards like Patriot and Transcend and even possibly counterfeit Sandisk Extremes sold through shady vendors (always buy direct from a trusted vendor). Why risk losing important footage that is your livelihood just to save [$] on one purchase? I've asked myself this question and have come to the conclusion that I'm sticking with Canon recommended Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SDHC cards only. I have an 8BG Sandisk Extreme Class 10 and have never had any issue. Bottom line: You get what you pay for. Cheap storage = cheap performance. This Transcend 32GB Class 10 is going into my Zoom H4n as it's new home, hopefully it can handle that!"
Transcend 32GB SDHC Card TS32GSDHC10 B&H Photo Video

Jeff Harper February 9th, 2011 02:22 PM

Wait a minute!

I just ordered this card: SDSDRH032GA11 SanDisk 32GB Ultra Secure Digital High Capacity, SDHC, Memory Card, 15MB/Sec Read/Write Speed

I have no idea what class it is (not listed) it's 15mbps. Too slow for the GH2?

Brian Luce February 9th, 2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1616255)
I just ordered this card: SDSDRH032GA11 SanDisk 32GB Ultra Secure Digital High Capacity, SDHC, Memory Card, 15MB/Sec Read/Write Speed

I have no idea what class it is (not listed) it's 15mbps. Too slow for the GH2?

I believe the GH2 only needs 6Mb/second, so you should be fine. A hacked GH1 might be different.

Btw, I do a lot of long takes because I work for musicians often and I prefer 8 gig, I used to use bigger cards but found 32 gigs a little big, hard to fill them up so I'd end keeping loads of footage, different projects, on a single card for weeks at a time. I'd worry that I'd crash the card and lose tons of footage. I like smaller sizes now because it's more of a film workflow and it's easier to cycle footage in and out of the hard drives and allows for more frequent formatting of cards. It just feels safer for me -- but I'm the nervous type anyway.

Jeff Harper February 9th, 2011 08:36 PM

Wrong card, way too slow.

I figured out it is a class 4 card, and it's already on the way. I can't believe I ordered the wrong card. the number 4inside a c was not clear enough for me, that is apparently a standard format for class labels. I hadn't bought one of these cards in almost two years and forgot that speed is important.

Edit: The camera manual says class 4 are minimum for AVCHD recording. I went ahead and ordered a 16GB class 10 30mbps, so I'll have two cards to start. I hated spending over $100 on a 16GB card, but I believe a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.