Panasonic GH2 for Video Which 2 Lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 9th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic GH2 for Video Which 2 Lenses?

Just wanted your opinions on which 2 lens you would purchase for the GH2 for video.

Also would you guys buy an adapter to use your EOS Canon lenses because I have a ton of lenses? I saw the one Mr. Bloom reviewed and it looks nice with the aperture ring.

Thanks

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The most popular answer would be the 14-140 and the 20mm pancake. Everyone loves this combo. As for the canon lenses, if you have them then use them. Get the adapter and go have fun. That's why the GH2 is so rad.
Evan Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Do you meen the birger EF- M43 thats the only one that will give control with my lenses on my GH2,its going to cost but it may be worth it.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Will the autofocus on the GH2 work with Canon lenses while using adapter?
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Lloyd View Post
The most popular answer would be the 14-140 and the 20mm pancake. Everyone loves this combo. As for the canon lenses, if you have them then use them. Get the adapter and go have fun. That's why the GH2 is so rad.
This is true. However I like to go rogue and prefer the Oly m43 14-55mm f2.8 with the Panny 45-200mm.
My favorite though is my vintage 50mm Pentax SMC 1.4 prime. It gives a rich filmic image and though it doesn't AF, the focus ring is so smooth and accurate that I actually prefer it. I don't love AF like others, I feel manual focus gives me better control -- the GH2's focusing system is confusing for me, there seems to be a lot of redundant control and some of the AF features are just for stills.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Major Player

I meant the adapter that Phillip reviewed on his site, the manual focus w/ iris control. Not the birger, I don't know much about them except it will cost 6 times the amount. Is the Birger better you think since I need it for video?
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Phillip? Phillip Bloom? Can we please be specific to help out those who have no idea which review you refer to? Could you so so far as to post a link please? I do thank you for mentioning him. I have been perusing his site and love it.
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey, yeah I'm sorry, I mentioned Phillip Bloom in my first post and didn't think to put it together.

Here is the link..

New adaptor for using you Canon EOS lenses on GH1/ GH2/ AF101 | Philip Bloom

I love it too.. Thanks Jeff.
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Steve, thanks much for the link. I love Canon lenses, and some Sigma that are made for Canon.

Since I have no Canon lenses at present, I will get by until a better adapter comes out. This one is usable, but not quite what I would need.

thanks again!

Last edited by Jeff Harper; February 9th, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Major Player

The Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 is a popular one, but sold out everywhere. I think it's better than the 20mm Lumix because it has a lower f stop, and has a longer barrel with manual focus and aperture rings, which is also beneficial for rigging up to a follow focus and matte box. Depends on your use, I guess.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #11
Major Player

...My 2 cents on this subject:

The problem with the new Kipon Canon adapter is that it places it's own iris behind the rear element of the lens, which may hamper the optical performance of the Canon optics. As a low cost stop-gap, it's not a bad solution, but what many of us would like is full control of the Canon lens iris built in to the lens. The new un-released $700 Birger adapter looks like it will do all of this, but it's kind of on the big side, requires a power-supply, and it's $700.

Because of this, I sold off my Canon gear and am switching to Nikon lenses with have an iris that can be manually set. The 3 best Micro-4/3 to Nikon adapters that I've heard of to date are: the MFT adapter ( allows you to use Nikon G lenses ), the Voightlander adapter, the MetaBones adapter. ( you can find MetaBones on eBay )

I bought the Voightlander adapter because I could find it locally in Toronto, so I could start using it right away.
The MetaBones adapter is supposed to be very similar quality to the Voightlander, but at about half the price. ( the Voightlander has a small light-baffle which the MetaBones does not )

I owned the Panasonic 14-140mm zoom for about 2 months, and then sold it off a few weeks ago. The 14-140 is a very good zoom, but it requires a fair bit of light, so it's not a great lens to use indoors. After I sold the 14-140, I replaced it with the 14-45 zoom which benchmarks as good or slightly better than the 14-140 over the same 14-14mm range. The 14-45 is a great quick'n'dirty compact lens.

NOTE: The Panasonic 14-42 is much worse than the 14-45 lens, so if you have the choice, buy the 14-45 and NOT the 14-42. ( the Olympus 14-42 is even worse than the Panasonic 14-42 )

For now my lens range is going to be limited to:

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6
Nikon D 50mm f/1.4

I can rent or borrow other Nikon lenses if I need something different for now.

Later this Spring I hope to add a faster zoom in the near future, which might be something new from Olympus or the Micro 4/3 17-50 f/2.8 OS Sigma zoom when it comes out. ( Sigma just signed on to make Micro 4/3 lenses )
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Guy, I had planned to call Sigma, thanks for the information. I love their 30mm 1.4 for Canon, great lens. That Sigma is going to produce micro 4/3 lenses is huge.

I had doubts for the 14-140mm and I had hoped it would be useful at weddings. Right after I ordered my kit (which arrives tomorrow) I regretted choosing that lens, but as you did, I can sell if off later if it doesn't work out for me.

Thanks for your post, good stuff.
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Here's a useful Panasonic page showing which lenses support which function.

Compatibilities of DMC-GH2 | Compatibility | Digital Camera | Product Support | Support | Panasonic Global
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Les, your post should be a sticky. That is the single most important piece of information I've seen on this camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series