DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   G2 Video Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/491620-g2-video-questions.html)

Steve Mullen February 11th, 2011 06:16 PM

G2 Video Questions

If you have been using the G2 for shooting video, I have questions:

1) When you select Motion Picture P Mode, reviewers comment about the possibility of DOF control via altering aperture. But, reading the manual it seems shutter speed can be controlled -- although, of course, you lose control of the aperture. According to the manual, there is a Flicker Reduction Function menu item that can be set to [ON]. CORRECT?

2) According to the manual, The Flicker Reduction Function will set the shutter speed to 1/100 second. The manual then says that by rotating the rear dial -- it is possible to select the shutter speed to adjust from 1/50, 1/60, 1/100, or 1/120. CORRECT?

Since the correct shutter speed for 25p is 1/50th and for 30p it is 1/60th -- it seems the G2 can indeed use the correct shutter speed!

3) Assume you set the speed to 1/60th and shoot video. Then you rotate the Dial to take some photos. when you came back to Motion Picture P Mode, will the shutter speed still be 1/60th?

4) In Motion Picture P Mode, before pressing the shutter button to start video recording, can you see the current shutter speed and aperture? The current ISO?

5) The conversion from micro-3/4 to 35mm seems to be 2:1. So 42mm becomes 84mm. What is the conversion factor when you shoot video?

6) Extended Optical Zoom: the manual says this: "when recording motion pictures: 9.4X"

Does this mean the zoom range is 9.4X? So the minimum is 14mm while the maximum is 131mm?

7) If you have Extended Optical Zoom enabled in Motion Picture P Mode, does it remain on when you switch out of Motion Picture P Mode to take photos?

8) As I read the manual, ISO is AUTO when shooting video. Is it true there is NO limit on ISO when shooting video? On most cameras even if one can't set a limit, there is a camera imposed limit when shooting video.

9) How stiff/rough is the manual zoom on the kit lens?

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Steve

Brian Luce February 18th, 2011 11:16 PM

I'm not sure about your questions because I don't own a G2. But on a related note, the G2 can be purchased now for $349.
Hella deal. The GH1 will work too so you'll get a mud free 50 mb/s bitrate. It's also the only Lumix camera that has a functioning tracking focus. Not even the GH2 has that feature. It's also got the GH2's etc mode. Doesn't do 24p though. But for you Palanders? It can do 25p.

Waldi Krasowski February 19th, 2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 1617271)
If you have been using the G2 for shooting video, I have questions:

You mean G2 or GH2..?

James Campbell February 20th, 2011 08:58 PM

Re: G2 Video Questions

Some of your questions may be answered by a cheat sheet I put together and uploaded in the link below:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...o-cameras.html

I'll tackle one of your questions directly: if you're referring to p. 91 in the manual where it states, "The ISO sensitivity will be set to [AUTO] (for motion pictures) when recording motion pictures," I have NO idea what they're referring to. Perhaps in the iA photo mode? But you can definitely scroll through the full ISO range, at least in the Motion Picture Mode I've used. Whether in Manual, A, S, or P mode, you can scroll through all the ISO settings.

Edit: another question above: "In Motion Picture P Mode, before pressing the shutter button to start video recording, can you see the current shutter speed and aperture? The current ISO?" P mode will show ISO, A mode will show ISO & aperture, S mode will show shutter speed & ISO, and M mode will show all 3 before pressing shutter to record.