DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Sample clips discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/491709-sample-clips-discussion.html)

Jim Forrest February 13th, 2011 04:16 PM

Sample clips discussion

Maybe the administrator of this forum will create a thread/sticky where we can post our work/tests with the Gh1/Gh2, So they will all be in the same place, everyone can view and comment.

Chris Hurd February 13th, 2011 04:20 PM

Consider it done -- this is now the thread for discussing GH camera series sample clips.

As a reminder, clips hosted on Vimeo are automatically embedded here with a player. You need only to post the direct URL of the clip's location on Vimeo. Hope this helps,

Jim Forrest February 15th, 2011 02:34 PM

Low light test with GH2

I went downtown to the Museum of Natural History for an hour or hour and a half and tried out my GH2 in what I knew would be low light. Shot in manual movie mode, 60i, ISO limit set to 3200. No color correction.
Kit lens 14mm to 42mm. No tripods or monopods are allowed but somehow I got my little monopod in there.
I am surprised some of it came out because the available light is quite poor. All in all I am quite pleased with the image quality in a low light environment.

James Campbell February 18th, 2011 12:17 PM

Concert Test with GH2

I brought along my GH2 to a recent Mellencamp show to test it out under stage lighting, as I usually record several shows a year of local artists or private schools. If I had known they were letting everyone take photos/video for "non-financial" use, I would have brought the 14-140 lens to zoom in better. I only brought the Lumix pancake 20mm. I used the 2X ETC sensor crop mode just to get some element of zoom. Additional GH2 settings: 24p, Motion Picture Mode, Manual settings. I kept the aperture at 1.7 to allow for the most light. Shutter speed: 50. I can't recall the ISO setting I used... the theater was dark, and I was fumbling with some of the controls. I wished I had paid more attention to the ISO; I think I was using somewhere between 1000-2000 (not too definitive... I know). After pulling the footage into Sony Vegas, I used the default stabilizing fx to remove the handheld look; I felt it helped immensely. The audio is just the on-camera mic. You can see a few times where the autofocus is seeking; I think I held down the shutter button for most of the song so that it stopped. I should have changed the focus mode but I didn't plan that well ahead and didn't want to ruin the footage in mid-stream by fumbling with controls. The original footage was captured in 1920 x 1080 24p, while the original link in Vimeo is 720p footage with a download option.

Patrick Janka February 20th, 2011 08:22 PM

Re: Sample clips discussion

The sound is pretty darn good, I'm surprised. Video was good and not grainy even with high ISO.

Jim Forrest February 21st, 2011 07:07 AM

Brookside Gardens

Shot with Panasonic GH2 using Cimema mode 24 frame.
Just used a monopod, 14mm to 42mm kit lens. No color correction or grading, just raw video off card. Knocked down to 720p.

Jeff Harper February 25th, 2011 01:52 AM

Nice, Jim, great work.

Jeff Harper February 25th, 2011 01:55 AM

James, very nice camera work. Damn, he looks old. But then, so do I, I guess.

Anyway, the 50fps looks great! I'm shooing a wedding Saturday, and I'm anxious to see what this baby can do!

Gediminas Sulcas February 27th, 2011 07:01 AM

lens nokton 25mm f0.95
footage 720p
my job was only to shoot, but i made quickly editing to be possible share it. there was no preparation for shooting, no storybord or something...

Oleg Kalyan March 3rd, 2011 12:55 AM

Re: Synergy, Russian sailing team promo from Miami RC44 Cup

Jim Forrest March 3rd, 2011 08:22 AM

Very nice Oleg! Very nice editing as well. What lenses and settings?

James Campbell March 5th, 2011 09:23 AM

VERY nice, Oleg. I actually had both this forum posting and an AF100 forum open in different tabs, and I thought that I was watching the AF100 video and was thinking to myself, "I can't wait until I get an AF100." To know that this was done on a GH1/2... great work.

I'm interested in the same questions that Jim mentioned. Also, what technique are you using for your in-scene rapid pans?

Kevin McRoberts March 9th, 2011 12:07 PM

Got my nearly-new GH2 Tuesday. My magnificently humble first footage:

Jeff Harper March 9th, 2011 12:25 PM

Kevin, that looked awfully good! Nice cam, eh? I've knocked the 14-140 lens, but only in low light. It really looks good there when used in the right conditions.

Dan Carter March 18th, 2011 11:36 PM

GH2: Vulture Mine, Wickenburg AZ

This location exercises a camera's control of aliasing, morie, and chromatic aberration. On different weekends, a Canon EOS 7D, Panasonic HDC-TM700 and Panasonic DMC-GH2 were used to shoot three separate projects. This is the Panasonic DMC-GH2 result. The GH2 suffered little of the aliasing and morie of the 7D, and none of the TM700 chromatic aberration.

One of finest true ghost towns in the American West, Vulture City grew up around the mine discovered by Henry Wickenburg. Twelve miles southwest of the city that now bears Wickenburg’s name, the Vulture Mine and Vulture City once had a population of almost 5,000 souls. Its history was marked by violence and tragedy. Eighteen of Vulture City’s former residents swung to eternity at the end of a hangman’s noose dangling from the branches of the ancient ironwood tree that still thrives next to the ruins of Henry Wickenburg’s old cabin. More died in robberies or through many other acts of terminal lawlessness. A few of those souls are said to haunt the many buildings of the decaying town. (by: Richard Maack)

Panasonic HDC-TM700 video here: vimeo.com/​16597179
Canon EOS 7D video here: vimeo.com/​16598062

Panasonic DMC-GH2
Panasonic f4, 7-14mm lens
Gitzo Basalt GT1830 Tripod
Acratech Leveling Base
Manfrotto 700RC2 Head