DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Winter landscapes with GH2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/491756-winter-landscapes-gh2.html)

Carlo Zanella February 14th, 2011 04:18 PM

Winter landscapes with GH2

4 Attachment(s)
A few weeks ago we went out to produce a segment for the Santa Fe Tv Show with the GH2, SmallHD DP6, tripod and slider (with no head) for weight constraints. It was a bitterly cold day, and I wanted to keep the set up as light as possible, since it was just the two of us. When I got back and I uploaded the footage, I was amazed at how much detail the GH2 resolves (even compared to the GH13).

I have a GH13, and, in my opinion (nothing sciencetifically proven), to my eyes, the GH2 has better detail in wide, great DOF shots. I didn't see mud in the slides (although they are pretty slow). I just love how versatile this new camera is. I wish I had a chance to compare it side by side in an environment like the one you'll see in the attached video with the AF100, just to see how much difference there is between the 2 (if any). Just curious. If anybody has any comparables, I would love to see it.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Jeff Chandler February 14th, 2011 11:35 PM

Beautiful video, Carlo. I lived in Alamogordo for my Junior High years and every time I go back it feels like I've gone home. Something about the "Land of Enchantment".

Dan Carter February 15th, 2011 07:44 AM

Beautiful images Carlo! Some of the best I've seen with the GH2.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Forrest February 15th, 2011 10:02 AM

@ Carlo
Are you getting a Panasonic AF100? I saw one demoed the other night and it is amazing that it takes the same micro 4/3 lenses. You could use all your GH2 lenses and adaptors.
He did say however that the AF100 has a larger chip. It was extremely light, felt like an empty box.

Jeff Harper February 15th, 2011 10:17 AM

Stunning. Perfect.

Carlo, what is the device you are sliding your camera? I'd like to investigate it. I've been looking at the Atlas 10 which looks great, but your device looks even better.

Martyn Hull February 15th, 2011 11:19 AM

Superb filming , regarding the panasonic af100 in a german test the GH2 proved to have more resolution and it has a larger chip than the 100, hard to believe i know.

Ian Stark February 17th, 2011 02:53 AM

Which lens did you use, Carlo?

Excellent photography.

Carlo Zanella February 17th, 2011 10:34 AM

Thank you all!

Thank you all for you kind comments. I will try to answer all of your questions.

Jeff, the slider is a Indisystem Mini bolted directly into the 3/8 screw of the Ox55 tripod.

Just want to clarify that this shoot took place about 6 weeks ago at the foothills of the beautiful Sandia Mountain, New Mexico, during a "casual" hike with my wife, in bitterly cold weather (low teens).

I didn't intend to include it in the Santa Fe TV Show, because I was just testing what the GH2 could in "panorama" mode with the stock 14-140 lens and what kind of detail it could resolve.
When I got back, and it put everything in my Vegas PRO10 timeline, I was surprised to see what that little camera can do.

Camera settings were on "smooth", with sharpness+2, contrast-1

I opened up my timeline this morning to see what I did to those clips: well, to my surprise, none of those shot were heavily processed.. NO "film" effect to any of them, simply some light Brightness/Contrast adjustments and most of the shots really stayed untouched (except for the B/Ws and the two ending shots).

Jim, NO, I do not intend to purchase the AF100. As I think it's probably a great camera, I already have 2 EX1s, a GH13 and GH2. For paid gigs on a tight schedule (most of the time) I primarily use the EXs. For the creative stuff, I am willing to sacrifice ergonmics, audio shortcomings etc, and work with the DSLRs and with the money I just saved (instead of buying the AF100), I can buy more glass. That'a just the way I see things in my perspective, but we all have different approach to the way we work, and it's understandable.

If anything, my mouth waters when I see what the Sony F3 can do. Epic and...SCARLET MOSTLY would be nice to, but when??...when?...when????.......

Hope this answers all of your questions.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show