Moire with GH2 after converted - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 28th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #91
Inner Circle

Re: Moire with GH2 after converted

George, what can I say, fences are a big problem. You might have better luck with 24p High quality. But fences are always tough, especially chain link.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:13 AM   #92
Inner Circle

I agree, Brian. Using a pan of a fence as an example of poor performance by this camera is nonsensical UNLESS compared to another camera in the exact same situation for comparison purposes.
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM   #93
Major Player

I posted to ask those here with experience of this camera if the patterning was something I should expect from this camera as I'd never heard mention of it during my research. The answer seemed to be yes in certain circumstances but not as bad as some other stills cameras that shoot video. That's interesting to know but wasn't really what I was after, I'm not doing a comparison or evaluation to decide which to buy. I had done that and had decided that this was the only stills camera that would suit my work practice. I tried it and didn't like the result, I might be quite alone in this but there you are.

I wasn't out to prove a point or criticise the camera, or say that there is a better one.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:22 AM   #94
Trustee

If you will go shoot that fence with the GH2 set to EX TELE mode, you won't see any moire. It may not be as much fun as recreational equivocation on a forum but it will be an effective demonstration of the benefit of doing so. The GH2 is the only DSLR camera (with or without a mirror) that has a mode to eliminate moire in problematic shots - and you want to send it back for moire! That doesn't make any sense.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM   #95
Inner Circle

A good question might be, NOT which DSLR (with or without mirror), but which video camera can handle a chain link fence without some sort of artifacting. How high up the food chain does one have to go?
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM   #96
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
The GH2 is the only DSLR camera (with or without a mirror) ...
Once again: if it doesn't have a mirror then it's not a DSLR, by definition.

Sorry to keep harping on this, but the distinction is important.

The GH2 is *not* a DSLR.

If you want to assign a type to it then it should be called EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens).
Or if you don't like how that sounds, call it ILEV (Interchangeable Lens Electronic Viewfinder).
But not a DSLR, which it cannot be, since it doesn't have a mirror. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM   #97
Inner Circle

Well George, you aren't the only one sending your camra back. Many are finding out this is not the camera for them.

I have friend who was totally sold until he used them for wedding work last week. They are too much work for many folks. The lenses required, the need for complete manual operations, the menus, are too much.

When you put the effort into it, the results are stunning. Proof is everywhere. For ease of operation, compared to other similar, it is a walk in the park. For a traditional videographer, particularly those not experienced in manually operating a camera, it is a nightmare.

I know, because I am a "traditional" videographer, with a smidgen of photography experience. Saturday was the toughest shoot of my life, and the results were extremely disappointing. The reason? I have not yet mastered the camera I own.
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM   #98
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
A good question might be, which video camera can handle a chain link fence without some sort of artifacting. How high up the food chain does one have to go?
It would be a camera that has a 1 to 1 sensor array versus image size. Resizing in the camera causes moire. It's an unavoidable aspect of resizing. The benefit of the EX TELE mode in the GH2 is that it does a 1 to 1 sensor map. That's why it is able to shoots these difficult shots without moire. As they say in the commercial, "Try it, you will like it."
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM   #99
Obstreperous Rex

Sounds like it's better suited for controlled narratives rather than unrepeatable events.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM   #100
Inner Circle

It is an interesting feature, Jim. As Chris pointed out not useful for run and gun, but for run and gun moire is not an issue 99.999% of the time. Moire is not usually a problem when shooting speakers, wedding ceremonies, and the like.
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM   #101
Trustee

Chris, Jeff - That's an excellent way to describe it.
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM   #102
Major Player

George i have done several tests and find 720P resolution /sharpness to be the same as interlaced and i am not talking about after the 50i has been deinterlaced which loses resolution.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM   #103
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
when I put the clips into my CS5 timeline there is pronounced moire patterning.Here is a clip that illustrates what I mean, it can be seen in the railings.
George,

Can you post a full resolution screen capture from your shoot, either in TIFF or PNG format.

I am guessing that your Vimeo video clip is scaled down from the original size. Sometimes aliasing/moire problems can be introduced by the scaling process, so I am curious to see what a full resolution uncompressed image from your video looks like.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM   #104
Inner Circle

George,
I don't know about CS5, but judging image quality on a timeline monitor wouldn't give an accurate representation of actual image quality with a lot of NLE's. Render it out and see if the problem is still there.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM   #105
Trustee

That is especially true when evaluating moire since resizing is done very much so on the time line and resizing is THE cause of moire.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series