GH2 footage doesn't look as good as my old camera, why? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: GH2 footage doesn't look as good as my old camera, why?

Lisa, any lens will work with a GH2, though not every IS lens will maintain that feature. Solution? Monopod! or tripod...
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #32
Trustee

My heart bleeds NOT for the poor souls with a lens problem on the GH2. Firstly, most kit lens on any camera are compromises with modest performance specs. Don't hold your breath waiting for a $2,000 kit lens on any camera. A friend of mine just bought a 5D Mk II with a kit lens which he promptly got rid of while muttering "it's not fast enough" under his breath. If you don't like the kit lens, don't buy it with a kit lens. For those where "only the best will do", it's available without a lens so you can use your beloved 'Craig's Snout 105' or whatever lens you want.

Before all is said and done, adapters will be available that will allow virtually any lens on the market to be used with the GH2 probably more so than any other camera.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
My heart bleeds NOT for the poor souls with a lens problem on the GH2. Firstly, most kit lens on any camera are compromises with modest performance specs. Don't hold your breath waiting for a $2,000 kit lens on any camera. A friend of mine just bought a 5D Mk II with a kit lens which he promptly got rid of while muttering "it's not fast enough" under his breath. If you don't like the kit lens, don't buy it with a kit lens. For those where "only the best will do", it's available without a lens so you can use your beloved 'Craig's Snout 105' or whatever lens you want.

Before all is said and done, adapters will be available that will allow virtually any lens on the market to be used with the GH2 probably more so than any other camera.
After struggling with two previous HDSLRs (1 Nikon, 1 Canon), then experiencing video done right with the GH2, I too believe we'll soon have many more lens choices.

But I'm keeping my 'Craig's Snout 105'.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Dan, Lisa specifically said "longer lens". 50mm is considered portrait. 85mm, etc. is more of what is considered to be a long lens. For dark churches 1.7 is stretching it, at least where I live. Are you saying your 20mm f/1.7 is superior to a Canon f/1.4? You didn't specify which lens the Panasonic is superior to, I'd be interested, as I'm looking at lenses myself.
Jeff I've been doing research and on these cameras that have smaller sensors than a full frame one, going faster than 1.7 actually you lose light because the opening is bigger than the sensor so all the available light is not hitting the chip but around it.... so there is not much point in going faster than 1.7

I picked up a canon fd 50mm f 1.8 for $25 free shipping on ebay and I think I could film in a cave with this thing, you gota remember that everybody on here is saying that the ISO noise on these GH2's is incredibly low, so don’t be afraid of using it... when you say that 1.7 is to slow for you, I almost fell out of my chair :P

David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Thanks Jim for the suggestions regarding the ETC, I will get my camera back in a week or two, it looks like, and I'll try it first thing.

I'm going to probably try the Canon FD lenses, still not sure, still haven't studied the adapter thing too closely yet either. Do the FD lenses have aperture rings? I can't remember.

I shoot in dark spaces, gothic or greek revival styled styled buildings where lighting is an afterthought. 1.7 is pushing it, as I mentioned earlier.

1.7 is pretty good relatively speakiing, but you also have to keep in mind I'm also outfitting two GH1s. ISO on those above 200 produces very poor images, at least in my preliminary tests.

Some churches here built in the 1840s are exceedlingly dark. They don't care about lighting. Unfortunately, I do not shoot as often in modern, well lit protestant venues.

Getting closeups in these environments is difficult.

For some women in Cincinnati, a ceremony at St Xavier or St Peter's here is a lifelong dream, and this is a huge deal to them. Brides here sometimes/often want the biggest church, and longest aisle. This tranlates into dark and far to you and I.

David, if you're using a Canon FD 1.8 successfully, then imagine a 1.4.

Covenant Presbyterian church here is so dark it is beyond belief. I used the FX1000s which are quite decent in low light, and the results were pretty poor there. I've also shot in that church with the PD170 and VX2100, still the kings of affordable low light video, IMO, and it was still pretty bad.

Realistically, the results were fine, and I understand that. But from a customer's perspective, they were disappointing. When you can't get a decent closeup of a ring exchange because there isn't enough light, you have trouble.

The images below are from a typical Catholic church here, the 175 year old St Peter's in Chains cathedral, a sought-after venue for many catholic brides in this area. The FX1 shot is from LESS than halfway to the rear. I'm closer to the front than I am to the back. Try getting a closeup in that light with a 4.0. Will a high ISO compensate in this case? It will help, but I don't know. I was lucky in this case, because the church was not half full and I could get close.

The smaller photo is actually taken from the church's website.
Attached Thumbnails
GH2 footage doesn't look as good as my old camera, why?-fx1.jpg   GH2 footage doesn't look as good as my old camera, why?-church-altar.jpg  

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm going to probably try the Canon FD lenses, still not sure, still haven't studied the adapter thing too closely yet either. Do the FD lenses have aperture rings?
Yes, they do & in addition the cheap Canon FD>MFT adaptor that I bought has a ring labelled Open/Close which adjusts the aperture completely smoothly without steps
Quote:
David, if you're using a Canon FD 1.8 successfully, then imagine a 1.4.
I have a collection of Canon FD lenses including a 50mm F/1.2L but my favourite on both the GH2 & my AG-AF101 is the 24mm F/1.4L.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carter View Post
After struggling with two previous HDSLRs (1 Nikon, 1 Canon), then experiencing video done right with the GH2, I too believe we'll soon have many more lens choices.

But I'm keeping my 'Craig's Snout 105'.
Which Nikon did you try?
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Which Nikon did you try?
Actually, both the D90 and D5000. Neither provided any manual control for video, and both suffered extreme aliasing. Great stills cameras though. I've since seen some stunning D7000 video, so they may be catching up.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Nigel, thanks for posting. Does the 24mm you favor come in an FD version? I did a search, didn't find it..maybe I missed it!
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Nigel, thanks for posting. Does the 24mm you favor come in an FD version?
It certainly does. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nses/index.htm
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Thanks Nigle, found it! Pricey little lens, but it apparently is very well liked!
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #42
Trustee

I totally love the Canon FD 50mm F1.8 I just bought online for $35.00. Night and day difference in terms of sensitivity compared to any kit lens. In my opinion F1.8 is a sweet spot for low light lens options. Anything faster and you spent a lot more then you did for your camera. Any zoom lens anywhere near fast enough for low light shooting is going to cost more then most lower end pro video cameras.

Lets face it shooting with DSLR's is going to be full of work arounds and compromises. Thats just the way it is. It isn't going to be cheap either. If you want to be able to cover the widest range of shooting conditions you will easily spend $5,000.00 on glass and you still will not be as flexible as a video camera.

I love the GH1 I just bought from Panasonic's killer Facebook deal but I know what it's limitations are which is why I will not be getting rid of my Panasonic HMC-40 anytime soon. It's the only way I can really cover all my bases. Anybody serious about video should not just depend on a DSLR to get by.

Hey what did you expect for a $1,000.00 camera?

In just the right conditions my GH1 and Canon 50mm F1.8 kills video cameras that cost $8,000.00+ In some conditions my HMC-40 kills the GH1 hands down. It all really depends on the situation and thats why I have both.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Glad your happy with your lens, sounds great Thomas.
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #44
Inner Circle

I've finally committed to going with Canon FD lenses. I ordered a 50mm 1.4 ($116) and now looking at adapters. Nigel's recommendation is fine, under normal conditions, but I want to find an adapter not from Hong Kong right now to ensure speedy delivery. Any thoughts?
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #45
Regular Crew

This one is good, I dont have it yet but it allows for infinity focus..

Novoflex Canon FD to Micro Four Thirds Lens Adapter MFT/CAN B&H
David Grinnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series