DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH2 footage doesn't look as good as my old camera, why? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/492462-gh2-footage-doesnt-look-good-my-old-camera-why.html)

Jeff Harper March 1st, 2011 10:19 AM

GH2 footage doesn't look as good as my old camera, why?

I have seen a disturbing but predictable trend of complaints about the GH2 (and similar cameras).

The common complaint runs along the lines of "My old (fill in the blank) produces better images than my new GH! What hype. I'm sending mine back."

Yes, some folks are achieiving poor results, that is true. But why? The reason is that the GH2 cannot achieve it's amazing potential by treating the camera as a point and shoot.

If you have never used a camera with interchangeable lenses, have never operated manual exposure, shutter speed, or ISO (gain to those that don't know what ISO is) this camera is a challenge and must be learned.

Videographers throughout the globe are purchasing this camera and expect to take it out of the box and get instant results.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I truly do mean that I'm sorry, because I am somewhat discouraged as well, but the reason for our issues is NOT the camera, but those that operate it.

I told my friend about these cameras, he went out and bought two. After we shot a wedding Saturday he is ready to get rid of them. Why? He doens't know how to set focus, he didn't understand the need for constant adjustment of exposure, he essentially had no idea what he was getting into.

Folks, if you haven't bought this camera and are considering it, expect a significant learning curve and lots of bad footage until you have learned how to use it.

I also suggest that the kit lenses with these cameras are poor, and will not achieve optimum results. They are useless for wedding work, but that is just my opinion.

The 20mm is adequate, but a total BEAR to operate under run and gun conditions. You MUST use at least two of these, if not three for wedding work, and if you're new to the world of hybrids, you better have a backup camera as well.

If you shoot outdoors, PLEASE buy a neutral density filter before complaining about the awful images. Most consumer cams like th HV30 have ND filters that kick automatically, the GH2 does not.

I thank Jim Snow and others for pointing this out before I found out the hard way.

Jim Snow March 1st, 2011 10:35 AM

Re: GH2 footage doesn't look as good as my old camera, why?

That's a good observation Jeff. That is common when anything new comes out. This reminds me of a social mutant I talked to a couple of months ago that wanted to argue that his VHS camcorder was "much better than all the crap you see these days", end quote. I suspect a psychiatrist could give you a better answer to this question than a bunch of camera users.

Jeff Harper March 1st, 2011 10:54 AM

Jim, you sum it up perfectly.

Brian Luce March 1st, 2011 01:48 PM

Tell the disgruntled gh2 owner to turn off AF, set the ISO to auto, the WB to auto, the shutter 1/50, set to 24p in creative cinema,and buy a 50mm SMC f1.4 Pentax and use the EVF, not the LCD, and as you say, a ND filter. Hard to take bad video with that setup.

After a few days of that, start playing with ISO's and WB, and everything should fall into place.

William Hohauser March 1st, 2011 04:43 PM

My main complaint is that the kit lenses are not manual enough!

Joe Ogiba March 1st, 2011 05:11 PM

Same here, I prefer full manual lenses on my GH2 like the Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 for video use.

Martyn Hull March 1st, 2011 05:17 PM

The canon T3i/550D i had before was much harder to use for video,its 18-55mm kit lens is not great or as good as the GH2 kit lens as far as i am concerned but to be fair i do little indoor filming.

Jim Snow March 1st, 2011 05:18 PM

That's why Panasonic sells it without a lens as well. That way you can use your Belchfire 109mm lens or whatever else rocks your boat.

Jeff Harper March 2nd, 2011 08:20 AM

Martyn, wasn't the 550d the t2i, and isn't the 600d the t3i?

The T3i is supposedly better for video work, but is not widely available yet, or at all, don't think it's realeased. The camera is reportedly a minor update, except for canon users as it is supposedly a nice step up.

Before I bought the GH2, I wanted a Canon, period, but the ease of use features were just not there for me. I absolutely am crazy about Canon lenses, and still would jump on Canon if they released something amazing.

I thought the Canon 600D was going to be the GH2 killer, but I was wrong, and I am deeply disappointed, as I had read much hype surrounding it a month ago.

Norm Rehm March 2nd, 2011 11:20 AM

Why to people who don’t own the camera say it’s not as good as” my camera”? They are tools and each one is different, what might not work for one person could be perfect for another person. It’s only a camera, not your favorite teddy bear. The examples you view are only as good as the skills of the op.

This site is a good place to receive helpful information, don’t turn it into my Chevy is better than your Ford.

I have no dog in this fight as I own both the GH2 and T3i. Actually I bought the T3i for my wife to get started in photography.

I forgot, There is one item that the T3i has that is 10 times better than the GH2----- THE MANUAL. lol

Jeff Harper March 2nd, 2011 11:31 AM

Actually Norm, that is a valid thing. when I used the 40d, I was able to turn to the manual for help, not so with the GH2. I do refer to it, but it is not quite the same.

Have you used your T3i for video? Any thoughts regarding it's ease of use relative to GH2?

Guy McLoughlin March 2nd, 2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1623600)
I thought the Canon 600D was going to be the GH2 killer, but I was wrong, and I am deeply disappointed, as I had read much hype surrounding it a month ago.

...I felt the same way when I bought my Canon 60D last September, which I eventually sold in February. ( I bought a GH-2 in December with the idea that I would only keep one camera, which turned out to be the GH-2 )

Canon has a long way to go to catch up with the GH-2, which I don't think is going to happen until the Canon 5D MK3 finally shows up. ( I might end up buying one if the video is decent )

Norm Rehm March 2nd, 2011 12:12 PM

Sorry Jeff, I have not used the T3i. I would like to try the movie digital zoom, which is suppose to be a 3X to 10X. Every time I come near the camera my wife growls. She now has a splint on her thumb but she still has the camera. I have only had the cameras for a few days and have been spending what time I have reading posts and trying to understand the GH2. It is very difficult for an old guy like me to understand this camera. I do think I am really going to like it eventually, you guys keep spoon feeding me information.

As for theT3i, all I have done is read some of the manual and it also looks interesting. My first guess is that it will not be much different than the other Canons but with some nice added features. Again it all depends what your needs are. I have some Canon and Nikon lenses and feel comfy with Canon, so it should work for me.

Jeff Harper March 2nd, 2011 12:22 PM

I should have looked closer at the Canon for the lens benefit, but it should work out with the GH2. I thought long and pondered it, and went with the Panasonic. I'm still not certain I made the right choice, as I ponder lens options for the GH2, but there you have it. I thought the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages, but the 14-140 lens is a poorer performer than I expected. It actually is a decent lens, but I was wrong to think I could use is as a zoom in a dark church.

Thanks Norm.

Lisa Maxwell March 9th, 2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1623692)
I should have looked closer at the Canon for the lens benefit, but it should work out with the GH2. I thought long and pondered it, and went with the Panasonic. I'm still not certain I made the right choice, as I ponder lens options for the GH2, but there you have it. I thought the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages, but the 14-140 lens is a poorer performer than I expected. It actually is a decent lens, but I was wrong to think I could use is as a zoom in a dark church.

Thanks Norm.

So, what do you end up using for lenses with your GH2? I see the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton lens seems to be a preferred choice, but I can't tell yet if it'll work for weddings in dark churches.

My mind is numb from all the research! I keep waiting to order anything until I know the total costs for lenses, adapters, if rails will be necessary, batteries, etc.