Canon T3i vs Panasonic GH2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 1st, 2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon T3i vs Panasonic GH2

Anyone have any opinions or experience with the two? Check out this link, it seems in almost no time the Canon has surpassed the Panny, but on forums people are saying the 720p60 isn't good and the moire is still prevalent. What say ye?

Compare the Canon Rebel T3i vs Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon T3i vs Panasonic GH2

That's a comparison for still photo capability. Since this is DV(ideo)info, we focus on the video capabilities. In that regard, if they haven't solved the moire and artifacting issues, then GH2 is still the DSLR (mirrorless) camera of choice.

The GH2 actually takes many more types of lenses than the Rebel provided you have a $12 adapter. Natively, yes, the Canon has a bigger assortment. But the Rebel can't take FD glass or S16 glass for example. One of the GH2's strengths is that it can take any lens. Rebel can't.

About the optical VF, they are awesome, however if the Rebel is like the 7d, it's disabled in video mode.

Likewise sensor size is moot imho since 4/3rds already give more than enough shallow focus.

The LCD is legit, sounds like the Rebel beats the GH2.

Maybe the Rebel is better for stills.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Actually, this camera was rumoured to be revolutionary. I don't think it's out. It appears at first glance to be much ado about nothing, however. Based on what I'ver read, I'm not impressed, at least not yet, unless someone knows more than what I've seen above at the link I've posted. It is a recycled 550D.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 2nd, 2011 at 01:05 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The GH2 is better for video use than the 60D and there is nothing on the T3i that improves the video quality. Canon uses the same sensor, CPU etc. If you have a bunch of Canon L lenses then you are better off sticking with Canon but if you don't have Canon lenses why would you want a Canon DSLR over the GH2 for video use ?
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba View Post
Canon uses the same sensor, CPU etc.
Actually no, not the same sensor. The 18MP CMOS sensors in the
Canon EOS 7D, 60D, Rebel T2i and Rebel T3i are all just a bit different
than each other. Same number of photosites, yes, but not the same
sensor in each model.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I guess the serial numbers are not the same but I bet you will not see any difference in videos. Show me a link to were the T3i has better video quality vs the T2i ,60D and 7D.

"What hasn't changed at all, though, is the camera's core specification, making the 600D the first camera in the line that hasn't gained a higher resolution sensor or new processor. So Canon's tried-and-trusted 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor is still in place, along with its sensitivity range of ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12800) and 3.9fps continuous shooting. Likewise the 9-point autofocus and 63 zone metering systems are unchanged. This means that the 600D is unlikely to bring any surprises in terms of image quality."
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos600d/
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

First great thing on T3i is the flip out screen.

Second is the apparent availability of HD digital zoom. I want to see how well it works. Remember, in the standard mode, the camera is skipping lines- creating issue with moire and aliasing. But the digital zoom since it is cropping, is skipping less pixels. So in my mind, if I can shoot a very wide angle in digital zoom mode, it seems like I will be getting a normal lens shot with little pixels skipping. Anyone out there with the camera, I would like to see that.

Too, that fact raises the possiblity that the Magic Lantern crew might be able to crop top and bottom, along those lines, skipping less lines, and giving us a nice 2.35 aspect.

Finally, I have seen a lot of great films come out of the 7D, 5D and the T2i. Professional shooters learn to shoot around equipment deficiencies. To sit there and say one camera is absolutley better than another is inane. I think it happens when someone is insecure about what they have purchased, and want continual justification for that, but I am no psyche major.

To the OP, look around at what people are doing with each camera, and chose accordingly.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey, Chris, I already own a GH2. I was just asking if anybody had compared the two side by side yet.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Patrick. not knocking your post and questions... I am interested in differences too. That is why I am reading this thread -- looking for information on the G2. 4/3's is very interesting to me, having started with a 5d and now backing with a T2i. Would love to see a bit more finished product from the G2 for sure.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The Canon t3i test footage I've seen is stunning. From a video perspective, it is fantastic. But so is the GH2.

I've seen footage comparing the the T2i, Canon Mark 5, and the GH2, but I cannot find it. The general opinion on the net is that the T3i is nothing more than an updated T2i, with greater ease of use, but nothing to get excited about unless you are a T2i user looking for a better LCD screen, and better ease of use.

Patrick, if you do a search, you will find on the web plenty of information on both cameras. What you might end up concluding is that overall the GH2 is "generally" the superior camera, at least that is what I walked away thinking.

As has been noted, each has it's strengths, but either camera is very good. You will find few here who have both. The better place for your query would likely be the DSLR forum where there is a broader range of users.

Most here will have only the GH2, and many will have come from the GH1, not the Canon. The T2i is VERY popular, and can use Canon lenses.

The biggest issue for many of us is finding proper lenses, and with a Canon you would have an advantage.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 2nd, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:24 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I am interested in differences too. That is why I am reading this thread -- looking for information on the G2. 4/3's is very interesting to me, having started with a 5d and now backing with a T2i. Would love to see a bit more finished product from the G2 for sure.
Ahem Chris. Most of us here are GH2 owners, not G2. The G2 is an older, lesser camera popular with the masses. The GH2 is the newest, most powerful and desired of the Lumix line, you could think of it as the Rolls Royce of Lumix, we usually don't associate much with G2 owners. Please note the distinction.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:03 AM   #12
Major Player

I'm interested in both for the Tele-Crop feature. My main subjects are wildlife, so being able get a 3x TC effect on my 500mm is a big plus (I already have a 7D and lots of EF mount glass). Now it's just a question of how good the TC feature is on the T3i.

The AF in video mode for tracking with the GH2 is also very attractive, and I already have the GH1 and use that alot.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:22 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Show me a link to were the T3i has better video quality vs the T2i ,60D and 7D.
That would be easy to do, assuming the person running the T3i is a better operator than
the people behind the other cameras... but all factors being equal, including human skill
sets, no the T3i will not produce better video quality than the other EOS cameras.

Quote:
"So Canon's tried-and-trusted 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor is still in place..."
Believe it or not, the mighty DP Review is incorrect on this one. For each Canon EOS D-SLR
that uses an 18MP CMOS sensor, those sensors are each just a little bit different from each
other. They are not all the same single design, but separate CMOS implementations in each
model. Not enough to make any significant difference in image quality, but the point is that
each camera model (7D vs. 60D vs. T2i vs. T3i, etc.) has its own distinct and unique 18MP
CMOS sensor design. It's not the same chip used in all models. What difference does any of
this make? Probably none whatsoever, but it is a fact, as relayed to me directly by Canon USA.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
Hey, Chris, I already own a GH2. I was just asking if anybody had compared the two side by side yet.
Patrick, have you considered looking at the new Nikon D7000? It to does 1080p now.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:03 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Show me a link to were the T3i has better video quality vs the T2i ,60D and 7D.[/url]
As Chris says, easy to do. There are many comparison videos circulating. The chips, as Chris has said are all different, and the formats are different. To say the 7d and t3i are the same is not accurate, IMO. From a broad perspective, all hybrids are also the same, but only to a non-user.

I've seen the videos, the videos do look different, and which one you choose depends on what is important to you.

I MUST look into the ETC feature when my GH2 arrives (for the second time).

Edit, Joe, I was harsh in my previous statement, which I removed. Hadn't woke up yet, I felt I was quite rude, sorry.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series