Lens adapter for Canon EF 85mm 1.8 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 5th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Lens adapter for Canon EF 85mm 1.8

Gordon, the lens on the chart is not listed as a Canon. The Sigma happens to be a Canon mount, Canon is mentioned no where on the chart. Get it?
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Sigma is not canon only... they make for the Pentax K mount, 4/3, Nikon....

Just look at the list here

they are all the same lens, but have different mounts...
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks David

Jeff - You're oringinal post also asked why the Panasonic adapter would not work with the Canon lens and that is what I was replying to.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #19
Inner Circle

David, Gordon tried to explain it, but I couldn't understand. I now understand what you're saying.

I would have bought the wrong lens. Thanks to you I did not! David, thanks for chiming in. The model #s are the same, but they are followed by the name of the brand they fit. I think I get it, at last.

So they are talking about the Sigma mount model, it would seem. So I would need a Canon mount as you say if I want to use the Sigma for Canon, which I would, since I also want to use other Canon lenses.

David, do you know anything about the Kipon vs Fotodiox?

Gordon, thanks for trying to explain it, I just didn't understand. I've only used one type of camera in the past, a Canon, and I had no idea about the mounting issue.
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, it would seem the best choice at this point, is to save up for the Birger adapter, and to go with the Kipon for now.
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I'm surprised no one is using the Canon 85mm or 100mm or 135mm. What do you wedding shooters plan to use to get a tight shot of the B&G at the altar? Certainly not the 14-140? Are there any wedding shooters here using the GH2 or GH1? What are you doing for long shots?

The 14-140mm is so slow I found it unusable in a church. With a ND filter I think the 14-140 would be a decent outdoor lens, but that's about all I can see using it for.
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #22
Major Player

This is a great little manual lens which would give 100mm and even more with the EX tele conv. The adaptor is around 25 bucks on ebay, I found my adaptor would work with my GH2 and I could control my AF nikon lenses iris and f-stop, no auto focus though but I don't think any of the Canon lens do either...not sure.
But I tend to be a Nikon lens person. I am assuming you already have Canon lenses.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97413-GREY/Nikon_1902_AF_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_4D.html
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Thanks for the recommendation, Jim. For 50mm, I'm going for a Pentax recommended by Brian L. The Nikon is a great lens at a great price, thanks for sharing it. The Pentax is all manual though, so a Nikon might be worth looking at when I get some extra cabbage.

I've never looked at anything Nikon, really, but thanks to your post I did some looking around and found out interesting facts about the major companies.

100mm will be enough sometimes, but in the large catholic churches I'd need an effective 170-200mm if not more in the biggest ones. I'll be running three cameras, one in the balcony, one on the main floor in the rear, and one down front when I can get away with it.

So the 100mm effective would be good at many churches from the rear, but not most of the ones I shoot in. Below is a typical sized church I work in, about 3/4 of my jobs are in these places.
Attached Thumbnails
Lens adapter for Canon EF 85mm 1.8-ccc.jpg  
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #24
Trustee

Sorry, double post
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper

The 14-140mm is so slow I found it unusable in a church.
Jeff, I'm curious what ISO value that you used in a church? I have read that the GH2 holds up quite well with little noise even at an ISO value of 3200.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Jim, when I got my first still camera, it came with a kit lens. I had no experience with photography, only video.

Nevertheless, I did not like the images from my camera with the kit lens. I did not shoot with the camera after the first day I got it, until I got new lenses a month later. The 30mm 1.4 pretty much stayed on my camera permanently, unless I was using the 85mm 1.8.

I pretty much dislike any more ISO than I have to have. With the Canon I ran at about 100-400 ISO most of the time in churches when I could get away with it. With the 1.4 I usually could stay at 200, but I might be mistaken with the exact number, that was a long time ago.

I hope to keep the ISO low on the GH2 as well. With the 14-140 I ran the last wedding high ISOs and I hated the look, but I guess that is just me not knowing how to exploit it, I don't know.

The fast lenses just produce such natural looking images, and high ISOs just don't turn me on, no matter how great the camera is.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
The Pentax is all manual though, so a Nikon might be worth looking at when I get some extra cabbage.
Wouldn't the Nikon be all manual on the GH1/2 as well? Unless using the Birger mount a Canon lens, it would be manual also I believe.

Have you considered a faster Sigma lens with a 4/3 mount to use on the GH1/2. I know it would limit what other cameras you can use it on and you would still have to do some things manually on it as well.

Gordon
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #28
Inner Circle

This is a complete redit of this post...I'm editing video furiously, and not paying close attention to what I'm reading.

Anyway, yes, Gordon, I have looked at the Sigma's, but I didn't understand many things until they were pointed out earlier in this thread. I thought the Sigmas on the chart were Compatible with Canon cameras, I didn't realize they meant a Sigma mounted version, and I was very confused.

I had planned on going with the Sigma 1.4 thinking it was a Canon compatible lens, but now I'm not so sure, because I don't want a Sigma mounted lens, I'd prefer Canon compatible lenses because there are other Canon mounted lenses I want.

Lenses are the most important thing to me, and I'm assuming one day Canon will come out with a GH2 killer, at which time everything will work fine.

Unfortunately, the Kipon adapter is not ideal, but it's good, but I'm still torn, I can't decide right now. I was focusing on this heavily for a few days, and now I'm off this to focus on my editing.

I have come across a couple of Panasonic lenses I didn't know about that might be useful, but I think they were 2.8, but that might be OK. I have to wait until my GH2 and 14-140mm lens are returned from Panasonic so I can do some testing at higher ISOs, as Jim alluded to. I don't like running a camera at higher than 400 ISO, but that might be unrealistic with my budget. I also really do need a zoom and a fast zoom costs over $2K, which I cannot afford right now.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 7th, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #29
Major Player

If everything works with the Birger mount on the GH1/2 it could be a good way to go. It would open up a lot of lenses that can be used.
I wonder what the battery life of the camera will be like with it?

Gordon
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Good question, but not knowing anything about how this stuff works, I don't know if the adapter will affect battery life, but I doubt that it would be significant. Battery normally lasts an hour or so if your using the LCD full time, and longer if not.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series