DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Lens adapter for Canon EF 85mm 1.8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/492683-lens-adapter-canon-ef-85mm-1-8-a.html)

Jeff Harper March 5th, 2011 11:12 AM

Lens adapter for Canon EF 85mm 1.8

Looking for an adapter for the GH1/2 for use with the Canon 85mm 1.8 EF. Any thoughts?

Anyone know the practical differences between the adapters below?? The Panasonic adapter will work fine with the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for Canon as it's shown on the lens compatability chart as workable. I'm wondering why it wouldn't work on the Canon 85mm lens as well, since the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is a "for Canon" lens it would seem logical that it would work as well with the same adapter. I've used both lenses on a Canon camera, and they seemed to operate the same. (I don't have those lenses now, sold them.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588085-REG/Panasonic_DMW_MA1_DMW_MA1_Mount_Adapter_to.html

Canon EOS-Micro 4/3 M4/3 adapter w/Build-in Aperture! - eBay (item 280611604024 end time Apr-03-11 22:46:01 PDT)

Gordon Hoffman March 5th, 2011 03:04 PM

Re: Lens adapter for Canon EF 85mm 1.8

Hi Jeff
Unless I'm confused doesn't the Sigma shown on the lens compatability chart have a 4/3 mount on it and not a Canon mount?

Gordon

Jeff Harper March 5th, 2011 03:09 PM

It is a "for Canon" lens made by Sigma, here is the lens:

Gordon Hoffman March 5th, 2011 03:17 PM

Yes but what I'm saying is the panasonic adapter will work with the Sigma only if it has the 4/3 mount,

Gordon

Jeff Harper March 5th, 2011 07:57 PM

Gordon, thanks for your interest in my post. I'm sorry, I still am not sure I get you. Yes the adpater is for 3/4 mount lenses to work with GH1/2. But there are a limited number of models of lenses listed that it will work with.

The Sigma, listed in the compatability chart, will work on the GH1 and GH2 if the DMW-MA1 adapter is used. That much we know, or at least that is what the chart tells us.

The Sigma listed is a made for Canon model. I know this because 1) I looked it up 2) I've owned the lens previously and used it on a Canon 40D.

So my question is: if the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 works with the adapter, why won't the the Canon 85mm f/1.8? I imagine the Canon will physically fit on the adapter, since it is the same mount as the Sigma lens, but will it retain some of the functionality as the Sigma does? That is my question.

My question revolves around the adapters I listed in my original post. The Panasonic adapter (DMW-MA1) it seems to me, should work with the Canon 85mm EF lens, since that is essentially what the Sigma is.

On the other hand, the second adapter Iisted above (the Kipon) was blogged about by the illustrious Phillip Bloom, who recommends it highly as working with Canon EF lenses. But he never mentions the Panasonic adapter, but I don't know why.

The problem is, as I see it, is Phillip blogged about the Kipon way back in December. I don't know if the Panasonic came along afterwards, and he didn't yet know about the Panny adapter, thereby not mentioning it, or if he didn't use it because the Kipon was better. Or a third scenario is that the DMW-MA1 will not retain the functionality like the Sigma will.

Bottom line, I know for certain people are using the Canon 85mm 1.8 lens, because I see it mentioned around the web. But I've not seen them mention what adapter they are using, and while there are cheaper adapters available then the Panasonic available on Amazon (eg. Fotodiox brand) I would prefer to use the Panasonic if possible.

I will also purchase a Pentax 50mm recommended by Brian L, and for that application I will use the cheaper adapter, no problem, but for my Canon, I want to use the Panasonic if it will work.

Anybody know?

Gordon Hoffman March 5th, 2011 08:12 PM

Hi Jeff
The Sigma lenses listed on the compatibilty list all need to have a 4/3 mounts so they will work with the panasonic adapter. To use lenses with a Canon mount you will need a 3rd party adapter.

Gordon

Jeff Harper March 5th, 2011 08:23 PM

So you are saying that the lenses on the chart and the Panasonic adapter are not enough? That I will need something else?

I don't understand. This is copied from the chart:

"Four Thirds Lens (Coupled with mount adapter DMW-MA1) (*11)" then the lenses are listed, including the Sigma.

The adapter is a lens mount, Gordon. This the purpose of the adapter, is it not? I dont understand what you are saying. The adapter's purpose is to make the lenses fit the camera. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help.

Gordon Hoffman March 5th, 2011 08:30 PM

I guess what I'm trying to say is Sigma makes lenses with the 4/3 mount. The Panasonic adapter you list adapts 4/3 lenses to micro 4/3 which is what the mount on the GH1/2 is. A Sigma lens with a Canon mount will take a 3rd party adapter as would a Canon lens.

Gordon

Jeff Harper March 5th, 2011 08:38 PM

The Sigma lens listed by Panasonic IS a Canon mount! Panasonic says that it will work with their adapter. Am I mistaken? Not sure why would I need a third party adapter with the Sigma if it is listed as one that will work with the Panasonic adapter.

Jeff Harper March 5th, 2011 08:43 PM

Gordon, my original question was which adapter will I need for the Canon 85mm f/1.8.

Do you happen to know?

Gordon Hoffman March 5th, 2011 08:46 PM

Unless I've missed something on the list I didn;t see where it says a Canon mount. I'll have another look at the list. But that Panaasonic adapter only adapts 4/3 to micro 4/3.

Gordon

Jeff Harper March 5th, 2011 08:55 PM

The Sigma listed on the chart is: 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM. The lens is listed on amazon as:

The lens is a Sigma and/or Canon mount, or according to Sigma's website. 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM - Wide Angle Prime Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

But more importantly this lens is stated to work on the chart. But that is not my original question.

I only want to know what adapters I have to choose from to make the 85mm work. Gordon, do you know anything about the Kipon? Or which adapters I might seek to make the Canon 85mm work?

Gordon Hoffman March 5th, 2011 08:56 PM

Sorry Jeff I don't know which mount you need for that lens. I only have a FD lens and I made my own mount.

Gordon

David Grinnell March 5th, 2011 08:57 PM

Jeff,

You would need this lens for the Pany adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460542-REG/Sigma_300107_30mm_f_1_4_EX_DC.html
they make that lens for many different mounts, including Canon and 4/3
but they are different lenses

Gordon Hoffman March 5th, 2011 09:01 PM

Jeff
This is what Panasonic list is talking about.
30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM - Wide Angle Prime Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Gordon