DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH1, how does it differ from GH2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/492815-gh1-how-does-differ-gh2.html)

Jeff Harper March 8th, 2011 12:13 PM

GH1, how does it differ from GH2?

I will be receiving my GH1 tomorrow. I have also a GH2 that I've become half-way familiar with.

Will someone who has owned both share the main differences in how they operate? The audio for example I have heard is strictly auto on the GH1, is that true?

I'm particularly interested which one would be better to use for the wide shot from the rear of a church, from both a video and audio perspective. Do I hook up the GH1 in the back with a wireless, or would it be better to use the GH2 with automatic audio gain control for the rear? This is actually a minor point, but still, it's a concern. I might have to play with them to find out. My 1st camera (down front camera) will have a Rode Videomic Pro mounted on it.

Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Jeff Harper March 9th, 2011 03:07 PM

Re: GH1, how does it differ from GH2?

I received the GH1, and a quick test shows it is OK at 100 iso. Not as good as the GH2, to be sure, but close enough. The 20mm pancake is too slow for me, definitely need 1.4 for wedding work.

It will serve as an adequate 2nd camera to GH2 for weddings, for sure, but certainly using these cameras will be expensive and troublesome for a newbie at DSLR.

Auto white balance with the gh1 is not as good as the gh2. ISO above 100 and image quality drops somewhat noticeably.

Oleg Kalyan March 9th, 2011 03:24 PM

I love GH1 if hacked to 50 or more Mbs, incredible camera at low ISO!

Jim Forrest March 10th, 2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1626278)
I received the GH1, and a quick test shows it is OK at 100 iso. Not as good as the GH2, to be sure, but close enough. The 20mm pancake is too slow for me, definitely need 1.4 for wedding work.

It will serve as an adequate 2nd camera to GH2 for weddings, for sure, but certainly using these cameras will be expensive and troublesome for a newbie at DSLR.

Auto white balance with the gh1 is not as good as the gh2. ISO above 100 and image quality drops somewhat noticeably.

What are they selling the GH1 for now?

Jeff Harper March 10th, 2011 09:58 AM

$400. I bought mine at Samy's. No DVinfo sponsor carries them. After playing with it last night, the GH2 is noticeably better in low light, no question. I'll slap a f/1.4 on the GH1 for sure, but keep in mind I shoot weddings in dark churches.

Jim Forrest March 11th, 2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1626278)

Phillip Bloom seems to agree with you on the low light issues with the GH1

"GH2 better than hacked GH1…yep for me it is, as the hacked GH1 no matter how high the bit rate goes it still SUCKS in low light with those damn vertical lines. None here and I shot at 2500 ISO today (but not in this piece). Again, I need to do a full test soon before giving my definitive opinion. But so far I love the damn thing, especially with the lens from heaven, the Voigtlander 25mm F.95. Those two were destined to be together! Angels sung when I brought them together!"

Brian Luce March 11th, 2011 04:56 PM

For the wide stuff, go with the better camera as a rule of thumb, ie GH2.

You'll probably find the GH1 easier to use, more intuitive. I own both units also.