GH2 progressive or interlaced? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Major Player

GH2 progressive or interlaced?

If I read correctly, the specs say something like 1080 24p recorded in 1080i. So which is it? Does this camera shoot/record in progressive?

Also, I'm unclear as to what frame rates the camera can run at. Anyone care to list all the frame rates available?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH2 progressive or interlaced?

They are in the manual. If you don't have one, download it up top of the GH2 forum, there's a link. 1080i, 720p, 1080p only if using 24fps mode are for sure.
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Is there anyone developing hacks similar to Magic Lantern for the Canon's that might expand this?

I'd really like the option of 30p. 24p is not always preferred and interlace is a non-starter for me.
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

24p mode (1080p24) from the GH2 manual:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5018/...97b89df3_b.jpg
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
Is there anyone developing hacks similar to Magic Lantern for the Canon's that might expand this?

I'd really like the option of 30p. 24p is not always preferred and interlace is a non-starter for me.
30p would be nice. The EX3 makes good use of it.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Major Player

My EX-3 has almost everything. It can shoot 1fps to 60fps in 720p & 1fps to 30fps in 1080p or i.

Variable frame rates would be the one thing I would like to see on the GH2.
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Major Player

That would be nice. I wish it could shoot slo mo at 50 instead of 80. But I own an EX3 too, and the GH2 is not in the same class as the EX3, but the PQ is still surprising good. However my EX3 has much better glass than I have for the GH2 and puts out a gorgeous picture.
Even the fairly new Sony 320 has the same insides as the EX3. But then again I am an EX3 fan. 3 x 1/2 CMOS chips is hard to beat. I am looking forward to see what the new Sony F3 can do. But I got off topic........
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
Yes the superhacker Vitaly is trying to dump the GH2 encryption, but he'll likely need a firmware update from Panasonic to hack it.

Even if they hack it, I don't think I'd use it, the hack for the GH1 isn't the easiest thing to pull off, and many of the modes aren't fully stable. I'm just not software savvy enough to want a jury rigged camera. I can so easily envision a "Tilt" midshoot, with everything freezing up. Panic ensues.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

the GH1 hack produces wildly varying bit rates on my friend's camera, and is a bear to convert. I want no hacking for me. I spend a day converting less than 1 hour's worth of footage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series