DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Lumix Gh1 Skate Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/493097-lumix-gh1-skate-video.html)

John Akin March 14th, 2011 12:32 PM

Lumix Gh1 Skate Video

Hey! I'm new to the forum, but trying to get more feedback on my work. Just recently got the Lumix GH1 with the 14-42mm lens. As well as a Canon FD 50mm F1.8 lens. Anyways i'll let the video speak for itself. Let me know what you all think!

YouTube - Lake Chelan Skate Sesh - Emanon Entertainment

Jeff Harper March 14th, 2011 01:20 PM

Re: Lumix Gh1 Skate Video

Nice work, loved it. Great how you can slomo the footage from these cams and it still looks great!

Oh yes, glad you're here, welcome! Stop by anytime!

Evan Lloyd March 14th, 2011 02:07 PM

That was a lot of fun to watch.

John Akin March 24th, 2011 02:33 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah the Gh1 shoots great quality. My lens setup is

Canon 28mm f2.8
Canon 50mm f1.8
Lumix G Vario 14-42mm
(and a 52mm .45x wide angle lens off amazon for 9 dollars)

As you can tell, in the tripod shots (shot on the canon 50mm) its very very sharp, i'm also focusing on manual due to the adapter to a canon lens making aperature & focus manual. But in the follow shots, i'm using the Lumix 14-42mm with the .45x wide angle. Now it doesnt make a HUGE difference in width of the shot, but i am kind of worried that the 9 dollar attachment on a 180dollar lens is degrading the quality. I've yet to shoot follow shots without the wide angle (planing on skating on the 2nd of april pray for good weather) but what do you think? You think the cheap attachment is degrading the quality?

Thanks for watching guys! If you wanna see another video of my friend Johnny shot on my Gh1 go to

YouTube - Break the Ice Johnny Berg - Lumix Gh1

~John

Jeff Harper March 24th, 2011 02:39 PM

John, when you shot the water drips, and Johnny skating, how many fps were you shooting at? Pretty high?

John Akin March 24th, 2011 02:43 PM

Well, i was actually pretty bummed to find out i had the camera on auto shutter in video for the water, so it was probably either 1/30 or it could have been bright enough to pick 1/60, but when i was shooting Johnny I had it on 720 60p at 1/125 because i wanted super crisp 50% slow mo. The water was the only part i actually wanted to get into twixtor at 1/125 720 60p to do like 5% slow mo, but was bummed to realize it was on auto. Haha.

Jeff Harper March 24th, 2011 02:55 PM

Thanks John, I'll be shooting someting soon, I'll try 1/125 and see what happens.

John Akin March 24th, 2011 03:35 PM

yeah from what i've read online, for the smoothest slow mo always set your shutter to double your framerate.

Jeff Harper March 24th, 2011 08:47 PM

Wow, didn't know that, that's really useful information. I can't wait to do some action shots, using your formula.

John Akin March 24th, 2011 08:55 PM

Also, there's different ways of slowing down the footage that can degrade quality.
Like I use sony vegas 10, and you can easily hold ctrl and drag the clip shorter to make faster, or bigger for slower. But the best way is to right click it > insert/remove envelope > velocity ..then pull the velocity down to 50% and drag your clip longer. Its quite a bit smoother.

Jeff Harper March 24th, 2011 09:00 PM

I use Vegas and have only dragged the clip, never used an velocity envelope...I'll try it out now on this wedding I'm working on.

John Akin March 24th, 2011 09:17 PM

Cool cool! I know that the audio gets a bit messed, i think there's a way to sync it up, but not 100% sure, its what i did for the "Break the Ice Tonasket" Video, but i muted skating audio and had ambiance I'm trying to get into doing Music Videos & Weddings, I really like editing montages.

Also, link back with your video when you're done! I'd love to see it!

Jeff Harper March 24th, 2011 11:45 PM

You can do it without affecting the audio, the clip has to be ungrouped from the video, and you need a second camera to cut to, at least the way I do it.